Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-04, 10:49 AM   #1
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva
Default steering upgrade

i'm considering putting a tele-flex no feedback steering system in my boat.i was wondering if anybody here has done this before.i can't afford the hydraulic steering that's why i'm thinking of the no feedback system.
what i'd like to know is,is it worth it($200)and how hard is it to change over?
one guy i know said he put it in and he can let go of his steering wheel at 60 mph and the boat runs in a straight line.i just would like other opinions before i spend the money on this system.
i also ordered the sting ray fin for my lower unit(with the stabilizers).i'm hoping this gives me just a little better hole shot so i can get on plane faster.
my boat is a 1990 20ft gambler with a 150 suzuki.when it's loaded with gear and 2 people it takes a little to get on plane.(gamblers are notorious for this problem)but once i get on plane it flies.
any comments on either of these ideas is greatly appreciated.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-04, 11:14 AM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: steering upgrade

I can't help you on the steering unit, I have no idea. As for the hole shot, I've talked to numerous folks about this(mostly dealers), since I have the same problem with my runabout(for skiing/tubing). Most everyone of them has said you can get a different pitch prop, for better hole shots, but you loose top end, and vice versa. I have a fin mounted, and have noticed no difference at all. Now it very well could be the reason is that I only have a 90hp on it, but this is what I've experienced.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-04, 12:30 PM   #3
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

i sure can't afford $600+ for a new prop.i'll just have to live with what i can get out of the fin.thanks lizards
Old 12-06-04, 02:39 PM   #4
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Tom, if you've never changed the cables on your boat, that alone will made a huge difference in the way the boat handles. I changed the ones on my old Cajun Paul Elias after 7 or 8 years, and it drove like a new boat. In my experience, both from my own boats, and sticking my nose into other peoples stuff, steering cables should be replaced about every seven years. You don't want to have them break on you.

The cost for the new cables should be between 200-400 bucks, depending on what length you need, where you get 'em etc. They're not really "hard" to change, but be aware you might have to disconnect the engine from the boat to get enough room. Unless you've got a place to hang the engine, it might be a job best left to a shop. I didn't have to on my Cajun, but every boat is different. When you pull the old ones out, be sure to have a string tied to them to make it easier to pull the new ones back through.

As far as the stingray, I had one on my Cajun Paul Elias a few years ago. Another inexpensive addition that is well worth the money. They might look funny, but they work. You've got a fairly heavy boat there, and with a 150 it's probaby a little underpowered, so a "whale tail" should help you.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-04, 04:06 PM   #5
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

i have the dual cable system on my steering now.to get a no feedback kit to replace it is $350...the kit seems reasonable.and if it works then it's well worth the money.thanks cajun
Old 12-06-04, 07:52 PM   #6
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i have the no feed back steering on my stratos never had the wheel turn while i was running it. i drove a savage with out anti feed back steering once every wave would turn the wheel. i have a hydro foil on my 25 marnier tiller moter with stablizer's it makes it easier to turn the tiller moter plus it gets ya up on plane quite well.-as well as a 25 will-i have been thinking of adding them to my stratos but am going with a new wheel first.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-04, 08:19 PM   #7
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Do you get new cables with it for that price Tom?
Old 12-06-04, 09:07 PM   #8
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Makitcnt4u

I have a fin with the stabilizers. The stablizers really help me from sliding off track in a real tight turn. Their great.
Makitcnt4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-04, 11:00 PM   #9
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

cajun
comes complete with the cables,dash mount steering box,supposedly everything you need to install the setup.
http://image.basspro.com/images/imag...585-165-12.jpg
Old 12-07-04, 05:20 AM   #10
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

That sounds like a good price then. I think I paid over 200 alone for the cables for my Cajun when I did them, and it's been 10 years or so since that. That upgrade is well worth the cost. You'll think you've got a new boat.

Hope the "Whale Tail" helps you too.
Old 12-13-04, 08:16 PM   #11
boisebassin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Cheapest place to get Steering cables/kit is here:http://www.surplusunlimited.com/steering_hydraulic_systems.html
boisebassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-04, 08:52 PM   #12
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for the link bill.i'll check it out.
Old 02-20-05, 11:44 PM   #13

I don't know if you ever got a NFB steering kit or not, but I thought I would post this for someone that might need it! I replaced a standard dual cable kit with the NFB kit(w/cables)on a 21 foot dual console bassboat with a 225
efi Merc! It had so much torque on the top end that I had to hold it with both hands and a knee! The NFB kit cure the problem and I can turn loose of the wheel at WOT! There is two kits available based on the HP of the moter! The kit was well worth the money! I could not afford the hydro kit and this was a great alternative! The othe alternative was to lower the jackplate and loose sacrefice speed for handling! Hope this migh help someone
Old 02-21-05, 12:06 AM   #14
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

i ordered the kit from surplus unlimited...total $342.70.
now that's a bargain.
i'm hearing this hype from EVERYBODY i heard from about this system.must be a well kept secret.i'm dying to get it installed and take a WOT run with that sumabtch.
i would think if it really does do what it says like that then sea star should do a little more advertising.they would make a killing.who the heck is their advertising guy (or gal) anyway.he's slacking off.
Old 02-22-05, 09:57 PM   #15
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

got the steering kit in today.can't wait to get it hooked up.looks like it could be a project.
i'll give a report on installation when i finish.
Old 02-25-05, 06:33 PM   #16

I put a no feedback system in my 87 Ranger, Its easy to do follow manufacturers instructions. Usually no cutting of dash required. Use the manufacturers formula for cable length. Cabela's has them on sale now
Old 03-12-05, 11:38 PM   #17
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

finished installing the system in my gambler in about 1 1/2hrs.had to cut the dash a little,but it's covered by the cap.had to drill 3 holes to mount a support bracket then 2 small holes for the cover.everything else went too easy it seems.i keep thinking i forgot something.
the original cables were 12ft...i installed 13ft,which fit better.they aren't pulled as tight as the originals..
can't wait to run this S.O.B.
Old 03-13-05, 08:50 AM   #18
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

It's not a hard job. Just make sure you've got all the "slop" out before you run 'er.

Then as ol' Red Alison on the BFHP says....

STAND ON 'ER SON!!
Old 03-13-05, 09:31 PM   #19
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

don't have any slop,this thing is tighter than a clams a** in a windstorm.steers a lot smoother.my old cables must be frayed inside.
Old 03-21-05, 11:12 PM   #20
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

found out i don't have to bungee cord the st/wheel to the shifter to keep the motor from flopping on it's side while trailering.the engine stays where i put it till i turn the wheel.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.