Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-08-05, 08:24 PM   #1
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Trolling Motor Mount

Within 2 hours of leaning I got the house I wanted across the street from a 250 acre lake I also found out I got a free boat from my boss's neighbor. It is an 11.5' jon boat. I fixed all of the leaks and painted the boat. Now I also got a free trolling motor (old Minn Kota 565) from my dad. It works so I am happy. The only issue is that it is a transom mount and now I have to figure out exactly how to mount it. If I put it in the front then I lose the front seat I guess. Any tips?
Before:

Now:
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-05, 09:58 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

this pic is of a v hull boat not a jon boat. the troller is a foot controled bow-front of boat- mount. not sure who makes that one..

i would take a piece of plywood 3/4" about a foot square and screw/bolt it to the front of the boat cut the plywood to match the shape of the bow.drill your 4 holes for the moter thruogh the steel nose piece if need be. bolt it all down. running one of these troller is a royal pain to get used to but time on the water is how you learn it..

nice duke of hazard paint job by the way..lol

zooker
Old 08-09-05, 08:41 AM   #3
Bender

Te bow is pointed but the bottom is completely flat so I figured is was a jon boat. I am really just wondering how far towards the front should it be? As far as possible?
Old 08-09-05, 09:20 AM   #4
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
Te bow is pointed but the bottom is completely flat so I figured is was a jon boat. I am really just wondering how far towards the front should it be? As far as possible?
Yes. As zooker already stated, you basically need to figure out how to mount it. Which you need to build a mounting bracket. Make sure it's made very solid, it's amazing how much banging and stress it will have to take. The front seat as it's placed is gonna be hard to use fishing anyway. I would attach your mounting bracket to it in some way, and make the front section infront of the seat into some dry storage for yourself. Then mount a swivel seat close enough to use the foot control. You may be able to get in touch with the manufacturer, and see if they make a mounting bracket for that ype of situation. At least give you some tips.

Lizards
Old 08-09-05, 11:53 AM   #5
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Dang i wish i could buy a house and get a free boat lol yea your going to have to make a mount it shouldnt be to hard just hold it up on there and you can pretty much picture how the mount wil have to be
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-05, 01:16 PM   #6
Bender

I am just renting the house. I am going to try to work on this tonight and then I will put some pictures up to see if the mount looks strong enough. I am just going to use wood since it is lighter weight than steel.
Old 08-09-05, 03:21 PM   #7
454ss

Sounds good to me
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-05, 06:38 PM   #8
Bender

Proposed Mount:

Will this work or is there a better place to put it?
Thanks!
Old 08-13-05, 09:29 PM   #9
zooker

right ball park but sitting the nose bleed section. move the mount forward the only part you need bolted down is the part were the bolt holes are. this type trolling moter dont put out that much force -would not use 2x4- but a good thick 3/4" plywood would knock down the weight. also consiter drilling thru the bow plate the metal plate that has the bow eye in it. this plate is welded to the bow and is more than likly stainless steel or very heavy aluminum.

please note any bolt can be used but the best nut is the ones with the plastic in it.

zooker
Old 08-16-05, 11:56 AM   #10
Bender

Ready for the water finally! I couldn't move the mount any farther forward or else I wouldn't be able to reach the pedal from the seat. It seems pretty sturdy. I hope to get it out sometime this week. Thanks for all of your input.
Old 08-17-05, 12:08 AM   #11
lizardsrule

Not bad. Should work, just keep an eye on the mounting, especially after a good banging on the water. Have fun.

Lizards
Old 08-17-05, 06:32 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Excellant job. Only thing I woulda done is just what the wise ole zook said. Move the mount up onto the bow plate so you had the motor actually bolted to the boat and not just the wood and agin would used 3/4 ply. If the mount becomes wobbly from use I would do as zook said and I am sure you will eliminate any further problems. Now go catch some fish and give us a report.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-05, 11:15 AM   #13
IL.bassin36

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Looked better in Competition Orange Just kiding man. That should work fine.
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-05, 06:53 PM   #14
zooker

whoa!!! wait a mintue where do you work again -it looks like the matince shop at work ..

let me guess you removed the mopar orange-tacky but a great color-and "borrowed" some paint from work -ya don't say-

zooker
Old 08-17-05, 09:06 PM   #15
Bender

Yea, that is machine paint. Pretty good stuff. DuPont Machine Grey mixed with hardener dried pretty quickly. It is a small machinery shop and we make tube and pipe bending machines and after-hours repair boats I guess now.
I hope to get it in the water this weekend. I got a new battery, oars, float seat, etc. last night. My fingers are crossed that it doesn't sink!
Old 08-18-05, 04:48 AM   #16
zooker

oars??? ya only need 1 paddle ..

zooker
Old 08-18-05, 11:54 PM   #17
angelus40
BassFishin.Com Active Member

well there goes an idea for a dixie horn for the boat
angelus40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.