Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-06, 11:57 PM   #1
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Learning the boat....

I want to get to know how to better opporate a boat but I don't think a tournament or after a tournament is the right time to try and ask.....it doesn't seem too hard...
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-06, 12:51 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm sorry, whats the question?

How to get good at driving? First things first, learn your local laws. Next, go fishing for fun with someone else and let them know you want to learn to drive the boat....get some hours under supervision but without the pressure of a tournament setting. Then, get solo experience. Never ever take a chance while driving a boat, learn to be overly cautious especially early and you will be fine..

Hope fully that answered a question...
Old 12-27-06, 12:56 AM   #3
BPACA

yeah....like how to put it on the trailer..to rigging up the batteries...does anyone have some site they know of where I could read up on this stuff?...I don't want to be a pain in bass.
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-06, 06:22 AM   #4
zooker

loadig like casting takes practice.. it all depends on the water and ahow much of the trailer is out of it..

zooker
Old 12-27-06, 05:48 PM   #5
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=16 Ask away here, they may be a little funky to a new one but when you wade through all of the CRAP you can find some good information from all.

As for loading the boat, all are different. The current set-up we have now took me a long while to get used to compared to other boats we have had. We have also had a friend who has about 40yrs. of boating experience under his belt and he couldn't but her on the our current trailer.

As WTL said be overly cautious, licenses aren't required here at that usually means most don't know the boating rules/laws, especially ski boats, Water Maggots/lake lice (PWC), pontoon boats, etc.. You also may run into the weekend cruiser thats drunk.

Christopher
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-06, 06:16 PM   #6
zooker

or boat waves 5 feet high..-oh boy been there done that..

zooker
Old 12-27-06, 06:19 PM   #7
Christopherkeene9

Whats wrong with 5 foot waves?
Old 12-27-06, 06:29 PM   #8
zooker

try power loading in them..

zooker
Old 12-28-06, 03:38 AM   #9
carolina-rig-01

well the waves caused by the wind are bad enough to load out in. but i hate when you have ski boats causing them. this past summer while "trying" to load up there was a huge play boat cutting circles just out of the no wake zone making it dangerous to even try to idle to the trailer. finally i chased him down through his wakes (and took on a little water doing so) and when he stopped i asked him what he was thinking. his answer? i didn't realize i was hurting anything. he was a kid with his rich daddy's boat and didn't know what the he!! he was doing. you will also run into several of these inconsiderate dumb a$$$e$ too!

Last edited by carolina-rig-01; 12-29-06 at 03:23 AM.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 10:36 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPACA View Post
yeah....like how to put it on the trailer..to rigging up the batteries...does anyone have some site they know of where I could read up on this stuff?...I don't want to be a pain in bass.
First off asking questions especially on being a safer boater aint being a PIA (pain in da a@@). It actually shows alot of responsibility which I respect. being a better boater takes time in the seat be it a 10ft boat wit a 2hp weezer or a 20ft Bullet wit a 280 drag Merc on it. Ask all the questions you want , I know I will answer as wqell as a bunch more of us more experienced people will be glad to help you out.
Old 01-02-07, 06:38 PM   #11
lizardsrule

Windage and elevation! Sorry couldn't resist. Driving a boat is nothing like driving a car/bike/non-water vehicle. It takes a little practice, and of course a few mistakes to learn. Lot's of folks are leary about someone else driving their boat, just like some folks with cars. Be respectful, and ask in the middle of the lake, not along the shoreline. Practice is the best teacher. Loading a boat in the wind and waves is a experience all in itself.

Lizards
Old 01-06-07, 10:19 PM   #12
Vabass22

The first time we loaded our boat, was a in river, which was up and was moving pretty fast. Took about an hour and a half. Great learning experience though!
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-07, 08:20 AM   #13
PowerBass

One thing that help with loading/unloading, hip waders. Cheap investment and makes it nice n easy. I do drive on sometimes but the waders are quicker IMO.
Old 01-09-07, 01:29 AM   #14
Jolly

For most, loading the boat onto the trailer is the most difficult aspect of boating. If you aren't used to loading a boat or you are just learning, take a friend with you. It can make all the difference in the world to keep you from banging into the front of the boat, trolling motor bracket, etc. If you can get someone with boating experience to go with you the first time or two you will learn even quicker. Also, alot of the time, people on the ramp will be happy to help you get your boat on the trailer if they see you having problems or just ask. 90% of the guys will say "sure!"

Jolly
Old 01-09-07, 11:25 AM   #15
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

It's a simple process really, but I understand your concerns about learning the "ropes" about boating. There's alot of good info already posted here, and the one thing that I will add, that is my NUMBER ONE rule of boating....is to always remember to put your drain plug in FIRST.
Yes, I learned the hard way, forgot it twice in my first year of boating, and once again this past year, luckily I had Txbassinlady with me who I sweet talked into going overboard and taking care of for me....
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 11:27 AM   #16
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

PS. You should see my bilge pumps working, looks like a elephant taking a whizz......
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 06:04 PM   #17
carolina-rig-01

well at least your fishing partner is a good looking lady. if the guys i fish with got in my boat in a wet shirt they would look like 220 lbs. of chewed up bubble gum. my wife is cute but she would be too busy screaming at me for being an idiot to do anything constructive.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 08:01 PM   #18
zooker

lmao @carolina

zooker
Old 01-13-07, 10:56 AM   #19
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by betursweetbass View Post
PS. You should see my bilge pumps working, looks like a elephant taking a whizz......
ROTFLMAO!!!!!! Been there done that.
Old 01-13-07, 05:48 PM   #20
Christopherkeene9

Yeah at least your bilge pumps work

Last December (2005) we had our only bilge pump quit working and we didn't know it until we had water on the deck. That was about 20nm from the ramp . Took two of us riding on the bow to get her on plane and then bumping across 2-3 foot waves the whole way only hanging onto the anchor rope/chain.

But in heinsight yeah I know what you mean about bilge pumps. 2 of the 3 do that when we pull out of the ramp on the current boat or when we start taking them over the transom offshore.

Christopher

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.