Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-09, 08:09 PM   #1
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing
Default New Engine - Part II

Well guys, we've decided we are in fact going to be getting a new engine. We've nearly ruled out the four strokes, but not completely.

As of now, we are really liking the new 25 E-Tec by Evinrude. It is brand new this year (made in China...I know, I know... ), and a brand new addition to the E-Tec line. We talked with a dealer today and my father and I both like the sounds of it all.

However, I myself am still torn between the Johnson 25 V-Twin Four Stroke and the E-Tec. The Johnson is made by Suzuki, and ultimately the exact same engine with different decals according to the dealer. The Johnny is an '07 (new in the crate still), and the price is beyond right.

The dealer really, really was adament of us purchasing the E-Tec. It takes less oil, sips the same, if not less fuel than four strokes, burns clean as four strokes, and received the same three star carb rating (three stars being the best), by thr California Air Resources Board. The E-Tec was also the only outboard to win the EPA Clean Air Excellence Award.

What do you guys think, prices not being relevent for the sake of argument?

Thanks,

-Buzzie
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 08:57 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

E-tec. GO with the E-TEC. not the four stroke unles you plan on doing ALOT of trolling.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 09:00 PM   #3
MIbasser

Chances are the dealer will get more of a commission on the new engine and won't make as much on the older one. Also, keep in mind you are buying an '07 engine. It is already 2 years old even though it is brand new.

If you plan on keeping it for 10 years, go with the Johnson. If you plan on upgrading in a couple of years get the e-tec
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 10:08 PM   #4
woody

I would guess to say that the Etec 2stroke weights less than the Johnson4stroke which would increase performance.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 04:38 PM   #5
Bender

Buzz, If you are thinking E-Tec check out Lockemans in Detroit: www.lockemans.com
I've heard they are Evinrude gurus, at least for service. I don't know much about their sales. They've been with Johnson since 1925.
You might also want to look at the resale and maintenance costs. I know on the bigger e-tecs there is more up front cost, but low maintenance cost.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 06:02 PM   #6
Buzz Wing

Bender,

We believe we will be getting the E-Tec from a small marina in northeast Indiana called Clark's Landing, on Hamilton Lake, near the town of Hamilton. The dealer was a very straight shooter and knew loads of E-Tec stuff. He said the availability is tough though. The 25 E-Tec is brand new off-the-lines in China this year, and there is something only like a few thousand in America as we speak. He said probably mid-March to early April, depending.

Since our 14' is not a Deep-V, we need a short shaft. He only had one E-Tec on order, long shaft, for the upcoming Fort Wayne Boat Show (February 5-8, at the Colleseum in Fort Wayne), but he needs to return it to Evinrude because it was purchased cross-country somewhere.

So, we're pretty decided on the E-Tec, but we'll see exactly how it looks this weekend at the Boat Show in Fort Wayne.

Thanks for all your help, guys,

-Buzz
Old 02-05-09, 08:19 PM   #7
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I might sugest you research a site about these before makeing your move.I think they are great engines But I have heard rumors that it is hard to find a qualified mechanic to work on them ,might be wrong but worth research. my .02
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 09:23 PM   #8
Buzz Wing

The dealer is the mechanic, and well-learned may I say...

-Buzz
Old 02-05-09, 09:24 PM   #9
zooker

suzuki moter while off the hook reliable and have the best fuel milage. have one very big draw back.. customer service SUCKS..all there warranty claims go thru general eletric..what in the hell does ge know about outboard moters- ZERO!!! average turn around time on a suzuki warranty work is 15 days before they release the mechanic to fix it..
yamaha,omc, merc is 24 hours tops..

btw johnson is owned by the bmc same as the evinrude..

zooker
Old 02-05-09, 09:53 PM   #10
Buzz Wing

Zooker,

Do you mean BRP? Bombardier Recreational Products?

-Buzz
Old 02-07-09, 10:24 PM   #11
Buzz Wing

Boat show was a bummer. Only a few bass rigs, some of which were used, but, there was two Champions! A 183 and 203 Elite, the latter being on special for $46,500...

Now for the bummer. We talked to the E-Tec dealer, and for the Michigan/Ohio/Indiana region, Evinrude allots 1,500 E-Tec's to be shipped/sold. Unfortunately, they won't be available here until late April - at the earliest! Total bummer! In the mean time, we found a free 15 horse that needs some work, but it'll do either until we get her running well, upgrade to an E-Tec, or the '07 Johnson.

-Buzz
Old 02-07-09, 10:26 PM   #12
Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Wing View Post
Zooker,

Do you mean BRP? Bombardier Recreational Products?

-Buzz
Oh, according to my "sources" (gosh I sounds importante here...), Johnson is now built by Suzuki...

-Buzz
Old 02-08-09, 05:18 AM   #13
WTL

You sure he said johnsons are still made by suzuki?
Old 02-08-09, 07:36 AM   #14
zooker

suzuki moters has nothing to do with bmc -bombardier moter company- the makers of johnson and evinrude moters.. mitzusbitsi does makes the eletronic firing control boxes found in 90% of all outboards on the market today.. the exception being honda..

bmc build it brp is the "brand" name. brp was formed when bombardier bought arctic cat and omc..

zooker
Old 02-08-09, 08:22 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

For what its worth here goes my .02 worth. I will only say this once and dont want it repeated. Everyone here knows I am a diehard MERC man .............but those damn E-TECS are great engines now that they have 99% of the bugs worked out which brings me to my next statement. The 25 Etec being a new engine has to be on the water a year or 2 before I would recommend one. When they test engines and I dont care who it is be it Merc Suzuki,honda or whatever they are in CONTROLLED conditions...........not the conditions we as fisherman put our motors through. I personally know that if they have the bugs worked outta the 25 Etec its prolly gonna be the engiine of choice for thousands of the smaller boaters crowd. The merc 25 is a fantastic motor has already been out there a few years and almost ZERO problems outta it. The Suzuki 25 is a good engine but its a 4 stroke and heavy as hell. So to sum it up I am saying I wouldnt be afraid of the 25 Etec but make sure ..........dead sure your dealer will be there and ready if you need any work.
Old 02-09-09, 11:06 PM   #16
barkelypup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I had a buddy who has or should I say had a 90 etech about 2 years ago. Fishing in Dec of 2007 heading down the lake. It was about 30 degrees air temp. Motor started fine, ran fine about all day. On the way back to the ramp motor missed once or twice and then KABOOOOOM. Blew the cowl off the hood. Another body was following him in his boat and said the percussion was unbelievable. He shot his boat up to the one with the Etech and the first guy jupmed right in. As boater 1 jumped in the other boat the 2 boats seperated and the guy with boater 1 paniced and jumped in the water. It made for a great story and the pictures were good but it from that point on turned me off to etechs.
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 06:15 PM   #17
aikenyounggun

research it on the e-tec and other factual websites, but make sure you are truly happy with what you pick...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.