Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-09, 10:00 PM   #1
triton1369
BassFishin.Com Member

Default which boat guys???

Ok guys, heres the deal, I am getting ready to purchase one of the two following bass boats and was wondering which was the better deal.

Both boats are new
The 1st boat is a triton (09) 17' explorer with 90 optimax $17,300.00

Boat 2 is a (08) Ranger 188 with a 150 optimax at $29,000.00

Is the ranger worth the extra scratch, I am not a tournament fisherman yet, and this will be my first fiberglass bassboat. I am stepping up from a all welded utility boat, and was thinking of starting with the smaller triton, and then 3 or 4 years from now, if I really like the glass boat, I will upgrade to a more expensive boat later. The problem is the ranger looks like a lot more boat, but is it worth the extra $12,000.00 for my first boat??

Last edited by triton1369; 04-06-09 at 10:27 PM. Reason: questions
triton1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 10:07 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

zooker will probably say no because he isn't much of a ranger guy lol. i own a ranger and i really like it. ranger is withouth a doubt one of the better more stable fishing platforms out there. you really have to make the final decision but i would spend the extra $ and get the ranger. it's a better fishing platform, has more storage (however storage you think you need, buy a boat that has more because you will need it), and more horsepower. just my opinion.
Old 04-07-09, 10:35 AM   #3
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

hmmm..I'm guessing from your username (Triton1369) That you have already made your decision...my question is: do you really want a new boat for your first glass boat? They tend to lose their value quickly and if you get stuck in something you don't like you might not get your $$ back out of her... unless I win the lotto or inherit a ton of money I am content with used. I just couldn't imagine having payments on my rig..the little lady would have my wedding tackle in a jar...if you know what I mean... I would buy as much HP as you can afford, I don't think I can ever go back to less than 150HP...it's just way too much fun
Old 04-07-09, 01:16 PM   #4
garry_3000
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Ok first the 17 explore is not very stable way to much side to side when on the deck the 18 explore is about 1 foot wider and an lot more stable. But the Ranger will have an better value down the road and will get you more money in tournys with Ranger bucks. Get what you like the best
Old 04-07-09, 01:29 PM   #5
OrygunBasser

You are not going to be happy with 90HP no matter what boat you get in that range!

Myself, I would by used and get at least a 150-200HP in an 18-19 1/2' boat. You can get a lot of boat for $20,000 in a well kept used boat! There are a lot of boats for sale right now!
Old 04-07-09, 05:09 PM   #6
zooker

get the ranger.. i would not buy a toon if ya gave it to me..the ranger is a slow boat but even with the 150 optipooper..it will still go 60... that toon with a 90 will never see 50..

the ranger is much better fishing wise.. the toon is a tad shy on leg room..

zooker
Old 04-07-09, 06:02 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
get the ranger.. i would not buy a toon if ya gave it to me..the ranger is a slow boat but even with the 150 optipooper..it will still go 60... that toon with a 90 will never see 50..

the ranger is much better fishing wise.. the toon is a tad shy on leg room..

zooker
i stand corrected
Old 04-07-09, 06:05 PM   #8
bamabassman

hahahha, c-rig. i say the ranger as well pal.
Old 04-07-09, 07:11 PM   #9
triton1369
BassFishin.Com Member

Does the ranger seem that bad of a deal?
triton1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 07:22 PM   #10
zooker

not really..i would say thats a pretty decent price..

zooker
Old 04-07-09, 07:25 PM   #11
TARHEELXRD
BassFishin.Com Member

I guess it is all about what you want and what you can afford. I actually sell boats and got something that will kill that deal on the Ranger. New to the site but if you want to talk pm your #. Zooker knows me. If it was me I woul dget what made me happy but keep in mind what also resales also. Most likely once you own it you will finds things you dislike and wish you had
TARHEELXRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 07:32 PM   #12
zooker

yeah guys i know tarheel fished against him sunday in fact...

zooker
Old 04-07-09, 07:34 PM   #13
TARHEELXRD
BassFishin.Com Member

Saying you fished against me would imply I caught something
Old 04-08-09, 09:29 AM   #14
MarcBorger
BassFishin.Com Member

I have a 16; Skeeter with a 90hp Yamaha. I have a lot of fun with it and I am able to fish tournaments on the Potomac River. That being said if I had it to do over I would have bought a bigger boat. That Triton will be fun at first but the limited range and speed will start to wear on you after a while. I would go with a 18-19' foot used rig with at least 150hp. Don't buy new since the depreciation is terrible on these boats and with the economy the way it is there are great deals to be had on gently used boats. Check out bassboatcentral.com to get a great deal.
MarcBorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 09:44 AM   #15
TARHEELXRD
BassFishin.Com Member

I think if you asked 100 people thaty had smaller boats 99 of them would say they wished they had bigger. That is why I say if you can afford it go with at least a 19 but preferably a 20 footer. That way you wont grow out of it and if you have to sel it or want to 1 of those 99 out of 100 will be interested
Old 04-08-09, 12:38 PM   #16
OrygunBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARHEELXRD View Post
I think if you asked 100 people thaty had smaller boats 99 of them would say they wished they had bigger. That is why I say if you can afford it go with at least a 19 but preferably a 20 footer. That way you wont grow out of it and if you have to sel it or want to 1 of those 99 out of 100 will be interested
I have had five boats in my lifetime.

First boat was a 15' SeaSwirl Tri Hull that I eventually took the windshields off of and converted it to a Bass Type Boat when I first started to Bass fish! (Wished I had a real Bass Boat). 35 MPH

Second boat was a used 15' Ranger with an 85 Evinrude single console! It was a great little boat but allways wanted bigger! 45-50 MPH

Got remarried and went through some tough times and sold the Ranger.

Eventually bought a used 15' Skeeter dual console with a 75 Evinrude because the new wife liked to fish and wanted the protection! 40-45 MPH

More tough times and sold the Skeeter!

Things picked up and bought a Used 17 1/2' Glass Tracker dual console, (Early Nitro) with a merc 150. Thought I had died and went to heaven! Decided I would try guiding so needed a bigger boat. 55-60 MPH

I now have a 19 1/2' Used Stratos dual console with a Johnson 200, Best boat I have ever had, but guess what? I am now thinking that I would like a 20-21' boat for large waters! It will likly never happen though but I say it because it seems that bigger seems to always be better in Bass Boats! 65-70 MPH

Should I get a larger boat, it "WILL" be a single console! They just fish so much better and that is what the boat is for!!!
Old 04-08-09, 06:41 PM   #17
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBorger View Post
Don't buy new since the depreciation is terrible on these boats and with the economy the way it is there are great deals to be had on gently used boats.
i kinda like where this guys goin with this... first glass boat, not fishin tourneys, this is what id do! i think payin that much for somethin ive never had would be a waste, you may want one smaller you never know. id say get a nice used boat and go from there, if i had the money thats what id do! size isnt a problem for me right now im happy with my 18' 1990 ranger couldnt have nothin better at this point in time!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.