Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-09, 08:17 PM   #1
bebeard
BassFishin.Com Member

Default help identifing part of fuel system...

Can anyone help me identify what this is ?? it is something in which hoses from my two gas tanks come into then out as one. Also, there is a wire that is attached on the underside of the "unit" that I don't know where it goes?

hope someone can help..

Brook

bebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 08:18 PM   #2
bebeard
BassFishin.Com Member

sorry, I tried to post images, but didn't work...
i'm trying again...

Old 08-25-09, 08:19 PM   #3
bebeard
BassFishin.Com Member

well if anyone knows about fuel systems... let me know and I can email pictures..

sorry
Old 08-25-09, 09:09 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

bebeard, While, I know next to nothing about boats, I can help you with your pictures.

First, join a site like photobucket. Then, upload your pictures. After they're uploaded, copy and paste the IMG code into your post. In my opinion, this is the easiest way to put pics on a forum.

BB
Old 08-25-09, 10:18 PM   #5
nofearengineer

What kind of boat are we talking about, Bebeard? You need to gvie some more information, but until then...a guess.

Is it one wire? Or is it several wires making up a cord?

It is probably a tank selector valve, with the wire running to a solenoid that actuates the valve.

Is there a tank selector switch anywhere on your boat?
Old 08-26-09, 06:31 AM   #6
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Gimme a holler beberd...email is wareagle50@hotmail.com...........put in the sunject line Fuel System so I will recognize it.
Old 08-26-09, 02:16 PM   #7
Captmikestarrett

Capt Mike
Old 08-26-09, 02:53 PM   #8
ally260
BassFishin.Com Member

Here's tha pictures on another site!
http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerot...of-fuel-system
ally260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-09, 06:13 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

That is a tank selector switch and one of the older ones I might add. I STRONGLY suggest dropping that out of your system. I personally like the system that draws form both tanks at one time.......keeps fuel level so you dont have weight issues when running at higher speeds. If you are interested in keeping the tanks seperate go to a manual brass valve. Those selector switches WILL leave you stranded.
Old 08-27-09, 06:14 PM   #10
bebeard
BassFishin.Com Member

Default thanks for the help... and more info...

Thanks BigBassin144 for the suggestions, I am going to set up an account....

nofearengineer -- here is a site the pics have been uploaded too

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerot...of-fuel-system

Is it one wire? Or is it several wires making up a cord? - it is only one wire...

It is probably a tank selector valve, with the wire running to a solenoid that actuates the valve. -- not sure.... ??

Is there a tank selector switch anywhere on your boat? I have a tank selector that shows me fuel levels, but is only fuel levels.... its a Mon ON - Off - Mon On switch... so it isn't "ON" at all times... just when I need fuel levels..

hope this helps..

Brook
Old 08-27-09, 06:17 PM   #11
bebeard
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
That is a tank selector switch and one of the older ones I might add. I STRONGLY suggest dropping that out of your system. I personally like the system that draws form both tanks at one time.......keeps fuel level so you dont have weight issues when running at higher speeds. If you are interested in keeping the tanks seperate go to a manual brass valve. Those selector switches WILL leave you stranded.
so, if I drop this out of my system, what would I replace it with so that it would draw equally from both tanks?

thanks,

Brook
Old 08-27-09, 06:49 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebeard View Post

Is it one wire? Or is it several wires making up a cord? - it is only one wire...
Well, if it's only one wire, it's already disconnected. If not intentionally, just de facto disconnected. It takes two wires to make the solenoid work, unless some doofus got creative and used the metal hull of the boat as the neutral (not a good idea). Anyways, it looked like your boat is glass, so that's not possible.
Old 08-28-09, 07:14 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

To drop this out of the system all you would need would be an appropiate sized T fitting and 3 clamps. About 3 or 4 dollars. The 2 tanks get hooked into the T and out of the top of the T is the main engine supple.......the portion with the bulb on it. Makes for an even draw on the seperate tanks keeping them level and not affecting high speed running.
Old 08-28-09, 10:13 AM   #14
nofearengineer

Laser,

Your advice led me to an additional question regarding this. I know in a bass boat, with maybe a 40-50 gallon fuel tank tops, it might be a moot point, but on an ocean going vessel with a huge fuel tank it certainly would be a potential problem.

In situations where people remove the valve and just T it up like you describe, would you want to put some sort of inline 1-way valve on each fuel line? Assuming the tanks are in a side-by-side configuration, one tank could flow into the other during high speed turns, or even at rest, causing a list.

Now all boats are different with their center of buoyancy and whatnot, but it just came to mind. Do you think that would be a good idea?
Old 08-29-09, 08:14 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

Yes that could happen if the fuel line exit point of the tanks where low enough to allow this. Being that the fuel line exit point on tanks is normally up high at the top of the tank it would be purdy near impossible for the fuel to be able to transfer from one tank to the other.AND yes if that could possibly hapen a one way valve would eliminate this...........

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.