Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 10-23-09, 03:50 PM   #1
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Bow stop question

So when I load the boat, I'm backing the [bunk] trailer in so the top of the fenders are above the water - this allows the boat to self center on the bunk when I winch her up. There's a fair amount of tension on the strap and I have to two hand the winch to get the bow all the way up to the stop. I hook up the safety and slowly pull her up the ramp and into the lot to put the rear straps on and secure the motor...but here's the problem... Even though I've winched under tension, I SOMETIMES (not always) see that the bow is now several inches (up to 4" or more) back from the stop. I'm guessing that the load is great enough to cause the strap wraps to tighten further allowing the boat to move backward. Clearly I don't want the bow bouncing on the stop so I crank the winch attempting to force the bow closer....without the greatest success.

Any ideas on what I might do to better ensure the boat doesn't slide back on the bunk when I pull out of the launch bay?

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 10-23-09 at 04:05 PM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 04:53 PM   #2
doc

I usually use the big motor to bump all the way up to the hookup, leave the motor in gear with just enough tension to hold the boat in place, go up to the front of the boat hook up the straps tight, then go kill the big motor, trim up and pull up. Never had the problem your describing. I do fish outta an aluminum boat tho.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 05:15 PM   #3
MississippiBoy

I had something similar happen, but only after I'd replaced the old winch with a new one. The first couple of times I pulled the boat up with the new winch, the strap tightened down some. Turning the handle but not moving the boat was an interesting feeling, and it took me a minute to figure out what was happening.
If the strap on your winch isn't completely tight, all the way down to the spool (if that's the right word here), the weight of the boat might be sufficient to pull some of the slack out. I'm not sure why it would do it sometimes, but not every time, though. You might try letting out the entire length of the strap and reel it back in under a good bit of pressure. I have no idea if this is the problem, but it might be.
Also, be sure the gears in the winch are meshing completely, and the handle doesn't turn at all as you pull out. That's really obvious, I know, but it never hurts to be sure.
Old 10-23-09, 07:59 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd like to take credit for being freakishly strong, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. If you have carpeted bunks, you really should be able to pull your boat up all the way once you get onto a level surface. It does take a bit of grunting, but it can be done. If it's too hard, you can always pull your boat around til it's pointing downhill a little. That should help.
Old 10-23-09, 09:32 PM   #5
Abbeysdad

I could be wrong but I think my boat might be heavier - boat and motor is about 1500#, then add 10-20 gallons of gas and gear. I reef on it and the tension on the strap is huge, bow comes down some but boat doesn't come forward much. Maybe if I soaped (or otherwise treated) the bunk rails so they were slicker?
Old 10-23-09, 11:22 PM   #6
zooker

Huh ? I have only hit my bow stop twice in 8 years..most of the time it is 6-8" short and I winch it up tight...

zooker
Old 10-23-09, 11:22 PM   #7
woody

Abbeysdad- Another possible remedy would be backing your trailer down the ramp just little further than you're used too, thus giving you more clearance of your trailer's bunks.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-09, 12:44 AM   #8
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Abbeysdad- Another possible remedy would be backing your trailer down the ramp just little further than you're used too, thus giving you more clearance of your trailer's bunks.
-Mark
It's winched up tight to the bow stop when it's in the water - it's after I pull out, up the ramp that it has slid back and in the lot, nearly impossible to winch back to the stop.
Old 10-24-09, 09:19 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

Whats happening is the boat actually rocks back.......some where along the bunks you have a spot that is just high emough to add a fulcrum or rocking point.Pull up and the boat rocks back. Thats where the slack is coming in. 2 things ya can do..........I sugggest readjusting the bow roller so the boat stops where it needs to.......the other is find where the bunks may be a little high.
Old 10-24-09, 12:44 PM   #10
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
I sugggest readjusting the bow roller so the boat stops where it needs to.......the other is find where the bunks may be a little high.
I could be wrong but I don't think the bow roller has any front/back adjustment on this EZLoader trailer.
Old 10-24-09, 09:43 PM   #11
Culln5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Float the boat onto the trailer, allow it to self center, use your motor to drive the boat on the bunks not stopping until the bow eye hits the roller and then tighten the winch.
Old 10-24-09, 11:15 PM   #12
Abbeysdad

Okay, last time - the boat is initially winched up so the bow is tight against the bow stop. It's after I pull up the ramp that it has slid back - I believe because of the additional load on the strap, most likely compressing the strap wraps tighter.
Old 10-25-09, 10:36 PM   #13
nofearengineer

Abbey, you said the boat was slipping back 4 " or more. I seriously doubt this is due to the straps wrapping any tighter. They should already be just about as tight as possible when you crank the boat up to the stop. They are also not stretching, just in case you were wondering.

If you really want to find out what is happening, have someone walk alongside your trailer tongue (mind you don't run over him), and watch the thing while you pull up. It is possible the gears or the pawl are slipping. I would think you would hear that, but who knows? Do that, and give us another report. This is interesting....
Old 10-26-09, 10:28 AM   #14
Abbeysdad

Good point... Since it doesn't always do it, I wonder if it's something I'm doing/not doing making the difference.
I'll have a spotter the next time the girls are with me.... but maybe I should just go ahead and replace the winch/strap - it is 7 years old and I sure don't want it to give way as I'd have a heck of a time if it did.
Old 10-26-09, 12:58 PM   #15
Randy
BassFishin.Com Member

I asked for a new wench for my birthday, and got it......Had to pretty much spell it out for the 3 daughters , but they got the exact one I asked for........
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 01:34 PM   #16
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I asked for a new wench for my birthday, and got it......Had to pretty much spell it out for the 3 daughters , but they got the exact one I asked for........
Uhm...did you mean wench (country lass or working girl) or winch (a mechanical device used to pull in [wind up])... if you meant the former, maybe your girls could speak to Abbey for me? Not sure how we explain it to AbbeysMom ("somethin extry fer the boat") !!!
Yikes.

LOL

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 10-26-09 at 03:03 PM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-09, 09:18 AM   #17
nofearengineer

Arrrrr...there be nothing better than a boatin wench!!!
Old 10-27-09, 09:20 AM   #18
Forums Admin
Super Moderator

Let's stay on topic guys.
Forums Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-09, 09:38 AM   #19
Rodz
BassFishin.Com Member

My boat does that if I pull ahead too fast. If I go slow until the boat settles on the trailer, it stays where it's supposed to.
Rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-09, 04:17 PM   #20
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodz View Post
My boat does that if I pull ahead too fast. If I go slow until the boat settles on the trailer, it stays where it's supposed to.
Could be....this is a somewhat steep ramp and I have a little bit of play (automatic AWD) when I shift from park to drive and take the parking brake off, pulling me back...sometimes, maybe there's a slight jerk when I accelerate that's making the difference I see. I'll watch that more closely too.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.