Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-10, 04:21 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Loss of Gas Under WOT

I have been having a weird issue the past couple of times on the water. The boat starts just fine and can idle all day. Once I leave the no wake zone, I can go for about 3-4 minutes before the engine dies. I have to use the primer ball to get it going. It starts right back up without any issue. I usually only have to do it once, but yesterday I had to do it 4 times.
The tanks are vented prperly and I don't see anything that would clog it. My google searches make me think that it might be a fuel pump issue.

It is an 85 Merc.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-12-10, 07:21 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sounds like it has been run without oil before lol. Seriously I had a similiar issue with the Optimax on the Ranger I traded off this year. It ended up being a bad primer bulb. Then check valve in it was bad and letting the motor suck air. May not be your problem but it's probably the cheapest place to start.
Old 10-14-10, 02:36 AM   #3
triglet
BassFishin.Com Member

Carolina beat me to it. that's where i would start. sounds like its losing it's prime!
triglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-10, 07:12 AM   #4
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

After you check that start checking all the hoses esp. By the clams they dry rot and start sucking air there too then third and final option is to get a fuel pump. Is it a inline 6 if so I prolly have a pump for it and a set of carbs. But check the hoses.
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.