Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-10, 08:22 PM   #1
ran24
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Minnkota Powerdrive v2

Hey guys got a question for ya. I have a minnkota powerdrive v2 trolling motor that I would like to mount a transducer to. However I dont know how to go about it. The motor shaft runs through a collar of sorts and there is no room for the transducer wire. Any suggestions? Has anyone done one like this before? Thanks in advance for any info
ran24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 11:33 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're wondering about how to get the transducer wire between the shaft and the collar/guide/brace? Easy...don't
Use cable ties to secure the wire to the shaft in several places, and leave enough slack at the top so that it doesn't pull when you drop the motor.

Like dis:
Old 06-02-10, 11:58 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

His trolling motor is different Daniel. The shaft actually slides up and down through this bracket so it stows and deploys a lot different than other trolling motors, and the typical manner of running a transducer wire down the shaft won't work here. However I think I remember a post about this a while back, seems like maybe it was bigbassin that had this issue but I can't remember for sure who it was. Do a search and see if you can't dig it up and find something that will help you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	powerdrive.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	5277  
Old 06-03-10, 12:07 AM   #4
MississippiBoy

Oh, I see the problem. Never mind, I'm going to go sit in my corner again.
Old 06-03-10, 12:54 AM   #5
WTL

It was buzz that had the problem I think, and I dont think we ever solved it.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 02:20 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01

Maybe Minn Kota could shed some light on this problem if you got ahold of them. I mean they surely have had this question come up so maybe they have a solution.
Old 06-03-10, 03:03 PM   #7
TheBassDoctor
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey, Ran. I have a Powerdrive, too & I kick myself daily for not shelling out for the built-in transducer! I worked the problem for a couple of weeks to run the cord so it's free of the shaft but clear of the base. I don't have a good solution. If I'm not careful putting out the motor, I'll get the cord caught & there's a sharp edge to the base the cord can get scissored on. I'm on the water enough this season so far that it's really starting to tick me off! I'm going to rework the problem this weekend. I'll post a solution & picks if I come up with one. I'd also like suggestions, any brainstorming... ANYTHING!
TheBassDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 04:12 PM   #8
Bender

One of the other members on here (fiker) has a PowerDrive V2 on his old boat and did a really neat job of managing this cable with some guides. Maybe you can PM him to see if he can send you some pictures because I can't remember exactly what he did.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 10:55 PM   #9
ran24
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the commits guys...I got on the Minn Kota web site but could not find any info think I will call them to see if they have any info for me ill keep you posted.
ran24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 11:43 AM   #10
mjdupre
BassFishin.Com Member

I had an older version I model that had a handle used to deploy the motor. I ran the wire through the handle which kept it clear of the pinch points.
I now have a newer version II model that has a lever that you push down on to deploy the motor, works a lot better but now now place to put the cable.

I've been thinking about trying to run the cable through the motor shaft.
It would be easy enough to gain access at the top, though I may need to pull the power cables out first to make room for the connector.
On the motor end I was thinking about drilling a small hole, the diameter of the cable) just above the collar of the motor then cutting a slot to the end of the shaft.

I don't think this would significantly weaken the motor shaft.

Has anyone else thought of this or maybe even tried it ???
mjdupre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 05:43 PM   #11
nmanley
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ran24 View Post
Hey guys got a question for ya. I have a minnkota powerdrive v2 trolling motor that I would like to mount a transducer to. However I dont know how to go about it. The motor shaft runs through a collar of sorts and there is no room for the transducer wire. Any suggestions? Has anyone done one like this before? Thanks in advance for any info

I've seen some other post on other forums where people asked the same question they said there is a grove in the shaft for the cable to run through. I'm not sure if it's on all models of the powerdrives but it is on the terrova's.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.