Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-11, 07:22 PM   #1
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default New boat

OK now don't laugh too hard, this is my first actual boat but will do perfectly with all the small ponds (1-40 acres) and lakes (65-320 acres), plus some small rivers. It needs a little work but for the price ($400 for both) I can't complain too much.

12 or 14' aluminum jon boat (registration says 12 but it measures closer to 14).

The 2 main things needed now is I need to get the trailer tail lights working, then get a battery and low powered trolling motor.
Down the road I plan to get new tires+rims (and keep the current 2 for spares), new leaf springs, replace the padding and carpet on the seats, add front and back lights for the boat during the night time... and thats it.

Last edited by screwballl; 01-31-11 at 09:08 PM.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 07:59 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

picture isn't showing screwball. as for the lights, check the ground and all connections FIRST. then check the bulbs. this should be checked on ALL your electrical connections that power anything. then check the fuses too. if there are any.wish i could see the rig man. bet it will look nice when you get her finished.
Old 01-31-11, 08:14 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

Congrats on the new boat! Like bama said, check the ground on your trailer lights first because ground issues is a heavy hitter in trailer lights not working. Also like bama said, your pic isn't showing up, I wish I could see her too but I am sure you will have fun with her.
Old 01-31-11, 09:08 PM   #4
screwballl

There we go, fixed pic...

As for the lights, I have a real small 12V battery I use for testing stuff like this. It has the 4 wire harness which is good since thats also what my popup camper uses.
The ground is good, and getting voltage to all proper wires right up to the light. This one was used in salt water plenty with previous owner and when I popped the lens off the passenger/right side, the bulb socket was corroded and light is not budging. Go figure! Looking online, these are not only NON-submersible lights, they are not even recommended in locations that get excess moisture, typical $5 cheap tail lights probably found in a clearance sale somewhere.

So I found the local Autozone and Advance Auto have submersible lights that will bolt right on for $10 each. Autozone tail light

Last edited by screwballl; 01-31-11 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-31-11, 09:10 PM   #5
Donutman
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey man, Conga-rats on the new boat! Hope it brings you many years of fun in the sun. We all start somewhere and no one should be laughing at you. Just think of how great it is to be getting off the banks and chasing the channels in open water. Trailer lights never worked on our Tracker trailer. (trailer don't work at all anymore period) We ended up buying one of those magnetic tow light sets and hooking those up. Figured we have to prep the boat before get into the water anyways, why not just disconnect the light and throw them in a storage locker while were out on the water. Works a lot better for the short term, at least for us anyways. Can't stand chasing electrical ghost problems.
Donutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 09:21 PM   #6
screwballl

Thanks Don!

Electrical is easy for me, especially when it is only 4 wires, although these 4 wires have been butchered in the past 2 years so I plan to clean it up and get it working right, even if it is a cheap trailer.
Old 01-31-11, 09:25 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

It looks like there are going to be some good times and good memories had in that boat. Congratulations!
Old 01-31-11, 09:47 PM   #8
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

congrats on the boat. think of the fun you will have fising it up and making it seaworthy . no one is laughing we all had to start somewhere . my frist one was a 10ft conoe. talkabout a cork on the water. wish you many good days in your NEW BOAT
Old 01-31-11, 09:52 PM   #9
screwballl

This is my second if you look at it that way nobass, my first was a 16ft canoe that I sold yesterday, which helped fund this little fugly.
Old 01-31-11, 11:39 PM   #10
cotton
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey screwball good lookin boat! I too have a 14ft jon and in a couple of weeks me and my buddy are going to start building a deck and really make it into a great fishing rig. I plan on posting the progression throughout the whole project on this site. I will try to also keep track of how much everything costs while we are building. It will just be something to think about if you ever decide to change it up a little bit. The possibilities with jon boats are endless!
cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 11:40 AM   #11
screwballl

Sounds great cotton. I need to get this one actually working before I think about any extras. I know one thing I will need to do is replace the carpeting on the seats that came with it, and seal the wood before that. Someone had cut pieces of 3/4" plywood and just half-assed stapled the current stuff on there. I should be able to get by just bleaching the padding part to kill the mold.
Old 02-01-11, 06:46 PM   #12
bamabassman

MAN!!! a fresh canvas!! you got a winner there pal. i can see a new deck up front and back.......seats, steering console, livewell.......... you get the idea.
post eh pics as oyu get her ready ok?
Old 02-01-11, 09:49 PM   #13
screwballl

It has a spot in the center the width of the boat with 2 plugs for a livewell, so that should help with baitfish. I am planning at some point to turn the front into a deck, I have been looking all over the internet at various builds and have a good idea of what I want to do. The main thing holding me back is cash (the wife thinks that the initial cost should cover everything needed to get it in the water... sorry hun it is not a canoe).

I will be getting the submersible $10 per light from the local auto parts store, which looking at the mounts on the trailer, that is what this trailer had originally and broken off. Also looking around for a possibly used but still good deep cycle battery and trolling motor, found a few motors only on craigslist for $30-50.

A few other projects planned through this summer in order of importance:

The plywood base for the seats need to be sealed, and the carpet needs replaced on all 4 benches. May just rebuild one to start and then do the front deck when I start on the others.

New rims and tires, found them online for $32 ea (mounted rim + tire) and will use the 2 old ones for spares.

New leaf springs, these are $15 online.

At some point I will also find a BASIC 12v aerator for the live well, probably something like this one with the 12V adapter or possibly this one. I don't need anything too special.
Old 02-04-11, 12:18 AM   #14
Abbeysdad

Congrats - sounds like you have a plan
Old 02-07-11, 01:44 PM   #15
screwballl

A small update... they recently opened a new WalMart in town. They have the galvanized tire+rims for $30 each so that may be coming sooner than I thought if I get a few extra bucks to spend on them.
Old 02-07-11, 11:06 PM   #16
nofearengineer

Screwball, I think you have a good little boat there. It is definitely going to expand your fishing world, and that's all that counts. Plus, I have seen some very nice fixed up low-buck johns...totally respect the effort and craftsmanship. It sounds like the Boat Monkey already let his smaller friend, the Boat Hamster pick on you.
Old 02-08-11, 10:58 AM   #17
screwballl

No doubt about that.... also picked up a very clean 36# minn kota trolling motor... 5F 3R speeds and works great, no odd sounds or problems with it. Now I just need to get my battery tested to see if it has enough amps to keep it going long enough.
Old 02-17-11, 11:10 PM   #18
screwballl

Got plenty done over the past week and a half.... Had to replace the new tail lights, they seemed to short out first try, so for now (temporarily) I am using the magnetic tail lights on top of the steel fenders.

* I did find the tail lights I ultimately want to use for $10 each at harbor freight, sealed 6" oval LED. I will probably pick up a new fresh wiring set with it too (same price).

* The old battery I got was pretty well useless, had around 300 CCA/15Ah left in it, even after some water, reconditioning. The other day I stopped in the local auto parts store and the manager worked me a deal since I only had $60 and change on me. Gave me $12 core credit for old battery, and charged me whatever the difference was so I got a brand new $80 battery for around $64 after tax.

* Wednesday, went up to the registration office on my lunch break. The previous lady told me $77 for the title transfer alone, plus the $24.50 for the boat registration. So I had to wait a week until I got some money saved up. Walked in, the lady finished it all and told me $38.75 for everything... wait what??

Apparently the $77 cost is for cars, trucks, motor homes and such. Since this is a small homemade john boat under 16 feet, it cost me $14.25 for title, tax and state fees, and $24.50 for the registration.

Thanks for the mixed signals Florida state employees

* That also means I have some left over cash and will be able to pick up a sheet of 5/8" plywood and some carpeting for the front deck, and a cheap digital multimeter for monitoring the battery while on the water.

I got a small trip planned Sunday, I decided to hit a small local creek called Black Creek and Camp Creek about 20 miles east of me. Slow moving water and most areas 6-12 foot deep, lots of bluegill, crappie, warmouth and bass (largemouth and striped), as well as the occasional redfish and a few others that come from the salty bay but can handle freshwater.

Also ran to the hardware store and got a stainless "hose clamp" and mounted my transducer to the bottom of my trolling motor, just hoping the vibration and noise doesn't interfere too much with its operation. Also ran the wires that will go from the battery to the fishfinder itself.

Now I just need an oar (just in case) and I am ready to hit the water.
Old 02-18-11, 03:46 AM   #19
lilmule

Transducers work fine attached to troller even a lot more power full ones they dont normally get interference,make sure its tight and has clearance from blades.
Pays to place an inline fuse in that fish finder wiring and to carry a spare fuse.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 09:37 PM   #20
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Congrats Screwball!
I'm certainly not laughing! My 1st boat is a 4' X 8' hard plastic shell twin hull, powered by an Endura 30 Kayaks pass me by!

So my next boat is gonna be a kayak lol.

Have fun in that boat!
Old 02-19-11, 10:00 PM   #21
bamabassman

post up some pictures man!! com'on......don't tease us this way, lol. sounds like you are etting things ready and she is gonna be a BEAUTIFUL rig when all is said and done. show us the progress, we LOVE pics.
Old 02-22-11, 04:33 PM   #22
screwballl

I got the little beast out on the large creek/little river about 20 miles from home and ran it around for a while. Only a few small non-keeper crappies but that trip was mostly about getting out and getting used to it.
Looks like it would be a good idea to get a second battery, after 5 or 6 hours it was starting to get a little low, too close for comfort.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.