Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-05, 02:29 PM   #1
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Do they make gumout or a similar product for outboards?

Do they make gumout or a similar product for outboards?
Old 08-20-05, 02:47 PM   #2
Rebbasser

Yep. The stuff I pour in the gas is called Seafoam and the spray stuff you spray in the carbs/cyllinders is called Seafoam Deep Creep. Actually it is not specifically designed for boats-it is for engines. Works extremely well.
Old 08-20-05, 04:56 PM   #3
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

WTL. In my opinion Seafoam ranks right up there with these other inventions. WD-40, Superglue, the wheel, and duct tape.

Hey Reb. I'm assuming you got a stainless prop. Has the seafoam turned it gold yet?
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-05, 07:28 PM   #4
Rebbasser

I do-didn't know it would turn it gold, though. I'll have to take a look.
Old 08-21-05, 03:49 PM   #5
zooker

yeah it is a jack hammer in a can it will remove a ton of carbon build up. never heard of it turning ss wheels yellow though. it has not turned mine yellow yet. but man does it make a ton of differance with the moter..

zooker
Old 08-21-05, 05:14 PM   #6
bigbob
BassFishin.Com Active Member

slik 50 makes a good product spray it in the carbs when its running works good 4 me anyways
Old 08-21-05, 08:29 PM   #7
zooker

laser what is your take on the yellow wheels?? can it be solved ?

in case you don't know old laser is a pro wrench turner.and has been around the country more then willy nelson.

zooker
Old 08-21-05, 11:21 PM   #8
IL.bassin36

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Hey Zooker. We use Seafoam as a stabilizer in the winter. A couple of Springs ago we noticed our prop turning a little gold color. It's just gotten worse over the year or so. No big deal really. Kinda looks cool like some special prop or something. Imagine if you had your prop gold electroplated thats what she looks like.
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-05, 07:04 AM   #9
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Seafoam.......The best thing since the wheel Use it and I promise you it will make your ooutboard run better and extend its life or I WILL give you your money back. As far as the wheels get Mothers aluminum polish use plenty of elbow grease and then use good old flour(the kind your wife uses to make bisuts or whatever) and wipe the excess of of the wheels. Takes all the black off of the wheels left from polishing and the mothers leaves a film on the wheels that will keep them shiny new for a while. Oh yea thanks for the complement zook.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-05, 07:10 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

To early in the am though they where talking bout the wheels on the vehicle DUH LOL that gold color on the prop is usaually nothing more than the engine deposits on the prop. A good cleaner will take it away. If it persists after you have run a tank of staright fuel through your motor you better have your engine checked. The exhaust exists through your prop unless you have a modified engine and the gold color shows up because the exhaust is now a little bit hotter due to the fact that it is actually burning a little hotter. Now I as I said if it persists after running seafoam than it MIGHT be a problem. A good cleaner will take it away. If anyone needs anymore help just holler at me here or at wareagle50@hotmail.com.
Old 09-07-05, 01:48 PM   #11
WTL

Hey yall, I guess this is related - well I didn't get that seafoam in time, now apparently the carb is clogged and I can't get the outboard started at all. Everybody says to spay the injectors and all with carb cleaner, but I really don't know the first thing about carberators and even getting to the injectors, ect. So should I take the thing in to get it serviced, or is there a resource online that will show how to disassemble it all easily? Its a 97 mariner 25 horse, really I'd like to do it myself cause the closest merc dealer is 50 miles away.
Old 09-07-05, 09:27 PM   #12
flachristopherkeene9

How often do we need to put this seafoam in the gas tank? And can I pick it up at any parts store?

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-05, 05:39 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

WTL

Its a very easy job if you wanna go it yourself. First remove the cowl and depending on what year it is you may have to remove the airbox(in front of the carb) Get a can of DEEP CRANK also made by the same company as seafoam. Its just much more concentrated. Spray the crap outta the carb and really spray down the throat let set for awhile. Take the spark plug out and pull or crank the engine over so the material gets into the engine block. Let set for awhile again. Put the seafoam in the tank and get a fresh supply of the mixed fuel to the carb and try and restart. Make sure you getting spark at the plug by grounding the plug to the block(just hold it against the block in the plug wire) DO NOT TOUCH THE PLUG it will knock the s*^# outta ya. Reinstall the plug and give her a try. Should light off after a few spins or pulls. If not me not being there I would probably go ahead and bite the bullet and take it to a merc man or you can email me ifn your still havin anymore problems and I can be more in depth.wareagle50@hotmail.com

christopher

Depending on how much you run you outboard. I run seafoam in mine every 3-4 months due to the fact mine goes out every week if not mor,due to the crappy gas that we get anymore. If you dont use your motor alot it doesnt hurt the motor to mix some up and leave it in just like stabil and you get the same effect. I always recommend that you run it no less than twice a year.
Old 09-08-05, 06:00 AM   #14
flachristopherkeene9

were planning on run it almost everyweek if not every other week. Buy we will be run it for a minimum of two hours straight each time out. So after how many hours of runtime should I put it in?

Chris
Old 09-08-05, 06:15 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

It doesnt hurt to run this fuel additive at anytime you suspect a problem or anytime you want to just do a little pm work. As I said before I run it at least no less than 2 times a year. Just pour it in put the fuel in and go for it. I wouldnt give the motor a steady diet of it cause 1 it would cost to much and there is just no need for it. After buying a new motor I suggest decarbing with seafoam after the first10hrs of running then every so often to keep the fuel sytem as trouble free as possible and keep the insides of the carb,injectors and the motor clean enough to eat off.
Old 09-08-05, 06:18 PM   #16
flachristopherkeene9

Thanks for your help.

Chris
Old 09-12-05, 10:40 PM   #17
WTL

Laser, thanks for all the help. I decided to avoid breaking the carb down immediatly, I was able to get it started and used the Evinrude engine tuner and it may have solved the problem - it seems at the very least better. I guess I wont know for sure till I start it wendesday after a couple day layoff. But probably without your advice and encouragement I would have been too scared to even do that much, I'm mechanical by nature but when it comes to cars and outboards I'm normally just too intimidated by the price and the fear of causing irreperable damage to something I know I can't afford to replace. Anyways, thanks for the advice.
Old 09-13-05, 04:27 AM   #18
1FASTLASER

No problem buddy. Ifn I can help ya any more just holler.
Old 09-15-05, 09:49 PM   #19
crhye250r
BassFishin.Com Member

This probably goes without saying, but I have seen people do it time and time again. (Work as a Mechanic at a dealer) (Yamaha, Evinrude, and Johnson). I dont know what type of outboard you have, or how it is laid out. Most older outboards, and even some newer, the internal engine components get their oil through the carbs as well. (2 stroke, obviously). If your carb(s) aren't flowing properly, the engine may not get proper lubrication and seize. (I have 3 of these cases in the shop right now). Just thought I would throw that out there. Just be cautious.

Oh yeah, 100% right about the Sea Foam. Awesome stuff. Ring free from yamaha is a quality product as well.
crhye250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.