Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 10-04-05, 12:41 AM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Prop Question

Guys, been doing a little research and need some advice. My hole shot is real slow-I hammer down and slowly the RPMs climb and the boat gets up on the plane. I think the problem is the prop. The max RPMs is around 4000 at WOT but the shop manual says is should be between 4750 and 5250 RPM. It came with a Merc Laser II with a 26 pitch, and I think that is too big. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 10-04-05, 06:49 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Rebbasser

Give me some more info and I can help ya. Need to know what motor,what model boat what year motor and if its a Merc what lower unit you have and I can get you REAL close to having a good allround fishing prop.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-05, 10:14 AM   #3
Rebbasser

Laser-it is a 2001 115 Merc on a 17-6 Nitro NX 750. Not sure what you mean by which lower unit-appreciate the help, though!
Old 10-04-05, 11:00 AM   #4
Rebbasser

Laser-I called the dealer and was told that boat/motor combo needs a 24 pitch prop, not a 26. Going to look into that.
Old 10-04-05, 05:48 PM   #5
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
Laser-I called the dealer and was told that boat/motor combo needs a 24 pitch prop, not a 26. Going to look into that.
So why in the world would they put a 26 pitch on it then Oh yeah, just to get more money out of you That's the kind of crap that really gets me ticked. I would call the dealer you bought it form and tell them to switch it out for free. I mean come on, they sell boats, but don't know what prop should be on it If you bought it from and individual, then I'm glad he's no longer driving it now, because obviously he doesn't know anything either.

Lizards
Old 10-05-05, 02:46 PM   #6
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

A 26 pitch is best souted for a 200 motor. Those usually have a 5500 max top RPM. The manufacturer says to match your prop to the RPMs. You will be happier if it will allow the motor to slightly exceed the RPM that are ideal for the motor.
There is a lot more to the prop than the size. Once you have the hole shot rectified then it is time to tweek the prop for lift and traction.This can be done by most good prop shops.Fish2win
Old 10-05-05, 09:19 PM   #7
Rebbasser

Lizards, I'm just glad I think I have it figured out.
Old 10-06-05, 05:57 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

Fish2Win I see you have set up some boats as well. Yesa 26 is way to big for the 115. I own a 115 and three of my props are 24p but they have been tweaked very much. One is a chopper with a bama cut that gives a decent holeshot and blistering mid and top end. Still one of my favorites is a Laserll. It is a unbeliveable prop for mid size boats and it has the PVS holes. I have a 24p Laserll that I would be willing to let you try if you want to pay for the shipping to and from or if possible find one near you. The Tempest is the next best prop for your stile boat. They are progresssive pitch props as are 99% of the props out there and they also have the PVS holes but they have a advantage they are tunable by changing the plugs in the holes to tailor the prop to your hull. You want max rpms on holeshot then when WOT you actually want to be able to hit the limiter that way you know you are propped for 75% of situations. No ONE prop can do it all. My modified chopper is when I go out playing and take out the troller batteries tackle and the troller itself. When I asked what lower uniy you had I didnt know you had 115 so now I know. I thought you may have had a V6. So there you go drop to a 24 and try one BEFORE you buy it and you will not be unhappy.
Old 10-06-05, 06:16 PM   #9
Rebbasser

Laser, I have access to a LaserII 24 pitch so will try it. I'm pretty sure that will take care of the problem.
Old 10-07-05, 05:53 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Great!! That prop outta let you find out what your rig is really capable of. Remember now that a LaserLL prop is a bow lifting prop and when you get her up and running you gonna be able to lift the nose with relative ease. Keep an eye on your tack and speedo. They will tell ya when you are running that setup flat out. Your rooster tail should be prolly about the top of the motor cowling when you get the hull flying. SMALL bumps on the trim is the key to obtaining the best speed. Another thing to check once you find out that this prop works for you is where your engine is mounted. You should be somewhere in the neiborhood of 1 1/2 below centerline of pad measured with the boat level and the motor level (put your level on the cavitation plate). After doing all this I feel real confident your gonna gain speed and holeshot. In otherwords your gonna have just about the best holeshot you can get and the best WOT possiable for this combo. Wish I was closer to help you get er done cause I love making em fly. Ifn I can help you out anymore just give me a holler, more than happy to help ya.
Old 10-09-05, 09:41 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Appreciate the info Laser-I'll keep you posted. You are right about a LaserII lifting the nose-fortunately it comes down when it gets up on plane.
Old 10-10-05, 06:22 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

LOL Sounds to me from your statement that you found a prop that gets you outta the hole. After gettin on plane just trim her up keep an eye on your tack and speedo. I feel real confident that you will see some improvements on performance. From your statement it sounds like your motor is spooling up much better now.
Old 10-11-05, 07:25 PM   #13
Rebbasser

Like it is supposed to. I PMd this to you but other folks might be interested-what do you recommend for vent plugs on the Laser II-what size hole?
Old 10-12-05, 06:50 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

Ok First off I must tell ya there are 2 Laserll props available. The first style had big vent holes and no way of adjusting the spool up on hole shot. You can identify this prop because it has square ports and no way of making them smaller. Hence the second design same blade configuration with adjustable vents. Now to tailor this prop to your boat you have to experiment with the plugs available when you buy the prop or a dealer. Theoretecially you want to have a port that is large enough to allow exhaust to escape on the face of the blades allowing the engine to spool up,build enough rpms that your boat will launch harder sometimes with its nose up. Now Take and start with the first set that makes the hole smaller and see how the boat reacts. It is a little time consuming but WELL worth the effort. After you have reached an acceptable holeshot you may want to toy with the idea of raising or lowering your engine for maximum performance. If you have a jack plate very easy if you dont harder. You want a starting place and this is with the cavitaion plate 1 1/2 inches below center of pad. Measureed with the boat sitting level and the cavitaion plate level. Measure form the centerline of the propshaft to the center of the pad. Some boats get right the first time others dont and may require as little as 1/4 inch at a time to get maximum performance. Again I stress the effort is WELL worth the time. Be glad to answer any more questions for ya and give ya some help buddy. Remember start with the next sixe down and try it then the next size down and compare. You will know the sweet spot when you reach it. Your boat will launch harder and I am sure with the nose up somewhat and give you a better WOT reading.
Old 01-01-06, 08:11 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

Just reread my last post on this and found out I made a uh-oh. The correct motor height to start with is the prop shaft centerline being 1 1/2" below center of pad not the cav plate being that low. LMAO Man the boat would launch like a scud missle and when at WOT be running bout 20. LOL Anyway Rebbasser did you ever get your boat lined out buddy???? Give me a holler.
Old 01-01-06, 02:35 PM   #16
Rebbasser

Sure did, Laser-that lower pitched prop made all the difference.
Old 01-02-06, 08:10 AM   #17
1FASTLASER

GREAT Glad to hear that. Need anything else just holler.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.