Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-24-06, 05:52 PM   #1
florida mike
BassFishin.Com Member

Unhappy Trolling motor problems

I have a 3yr old motorguide,12v,footcontrolled that runs all the time.Whether the power dots are on 1 or 5 it runs.no matter what switch position it's on,it runs.Any suggestions
florida mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-06, 09:36 PM   #2
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

sounds to me like the insulation may be melted causing wires to come in contact...check your wiring in the pedal and head...if it's good sounds like a switch is bad somewhere.i have a minnkota maxxum74,and i'm not too familiar with MG,but i'd start with the wiring.
Old 01-25-06, 03:18 AM   #3
DStu22
BassFishin.Com Member

Bassintom said, " sounds to me like the insulation may be melted causing wires to come in contact..."
Exactly! I had this happen to me with a 12/24 volt Motor Guide. Flip the foot pedal over and look at the wires underneath. I bet that you'll see the insulation (plastic) of a couple or more wires melted together. You need to seperate these and rewrap them with some black electrician's tape. This happens when you are running the trolling motor constantly (especially in a river current) That's why I had mine converted over to a 24 volt variable system and had the wiring in the bow connection changed to a wider gauge wire.
Old 01-25-06, 06:19 AM   #4
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Correct DSTu22 and bassin. If you have to replace any of the jumpers on the foot control DO NOT use anything any smaller than 6ga. wire. Your looking at the problem to do it again and also 6ga wire is big enough to carry the appropiate amps while smaller wire will not deliver the amps needed. The other place to look is under the top of the head. I have seen them short together there from time to time. Just remeber when you put it back together to seal properly. A SMALL bead of clear rtv will sufice and keep water from leaking into the lower unit.
Old 01-26-06, 12:33 PM   #5
florida mike
BassFishin.Com Member

Took it to the shop(authorized mg dealer).Changed a micro switch under the pedal.Part was21.95,$70.00 labor,plus tax.TOTAL was$98.and change.GOD BLESS AMERICA!
florida mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.