Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-10, 12:13 AM   #1
Bass Warrior
BassFishin.Com Member

Question More Bearings, the better??

When comparing reels I often look at the number of bearings. Quite often there will be a cheaper reel with more bearings than a more expensive one.

Does more bearings mean better reel or am I not understanding something. Please help!
Bass Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 12:25 AM   #2
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Bass Warrior;321505]

Does more bearings mean better reel

Absolutly not! A reel is a total package and the sum of all it's parts. There are quite a few absolute junk reels on the market that have 10 or more bearings. There are some very high end top quality reels on the market that only have a few bearings. My dad has an Abu 5000 D reel from the early 70's that doesn't have any bearings in it at all. It can launch a large crankbait the length of a football field and cranks as smooth as butter.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 12:50 AM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Bearings, just like many other precision components have various levels of quality. Bearings are rated on a system called ABEC, The common bearings that are used in fishing reel are ABEC 3,5,and 7. These bearings can also be made of different materials such as stainless steel, and ceramic. I say this to make the point that placement and quality of bearing material is much more important than quantity and a better gage of overall reel quality.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 03:08 AM   #4
Bass Warrior
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys...I will keep this in mind when purchasing my next one!
Bass Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 10:50 AM   #5
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Manufacturers put bearings in places like handles, drive shaft and level-wind to up the count. Bearings in the synchronized level wind of big-game round reels makes sense but serves little value in modern bass reels. In real life practical fishing, having well maintained quality bearings supporting the spool is of the most benefit.
Old 12-28-10, 12:49 PM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I echo what the other guys are saying-it depends on the reel. I have had reels with 10 bearings that I got because of the number of bearings that are junk, and reels with 2-3 bearings that handle like a dream.

I tend to use all the same brand/model of reels because I get used to the feeling of one reel and can order online when I know what I am getting. I rarely get a reel I have not handled before I buy. Like all things fishing, find out what works for you and you will be happy.
Old 12-28-10, 01:57 PM   #7
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

1 good bearing in the right place is better than 10 lousy bearings all over the reel.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.