Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-08, 01:41 PM   #1
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Unhappy It just occurred to me...Football related.

While I'm looking forward the THE game to be played this Saturday in Dallas, win or lose, I've a growing suspicion that the most powerful conference will NOT have a representative in the National C'ship Game.
In the South Division there are FOUR undefeated teams that must all play each other before the season ends. Too, they will each play three teams from the North Division. Some must play Missouri during this and next season. I doubt that any team from the South will come through this trial-by-fire unscathed.
Whomever does claim the division crown will then face the North's champ for the Large Dozen title. That's most likely to be Missouri but can MU come into that game with a perfect record?
IF there is no more than one MAJOR team with a perfect record elsewhere in the BCS mix, then a Big 12 team, even a team with one loss, might well appear in the Big One, but if there is more than one, I doubt it.
The Big 12 has more serious contenders than any other conference, based on the season's results thus far, and THAT is where the problem lies.
I yearn for the days before the Big Eight absorbed the refugees from the old SWC. In those days, the Big Eight was often termed "Oklahoma and The Seven Dwarfs", though the Children Of The Corn had their share of glory. OU and NU played EVERY season, unlike now, and many MNCs were ultimately won by the winners of those games. Sniffle...
Well, this is why we play the games. This is why we love it so.

Go Big 12!

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 08:43 PM   #2
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
IF there is no more than one MAJOR team with a perfect record elsewhere in the BCS mix, then a Big 12 team, even a team with one loss, might well appear in the Big One, but if there is more than one, I doubt it.
The Big 12 has more serious contenders than any other conference, based on the season's results thus far, and THAT is where the problem lies.
That's an interesting scenario, but it might play out better than you think. If indeed there are multiple one-win teams and the Big 12 has more serious contenders than any other conference, why shouldn't the Big 12 team make it? After all, a one-win team from the strongest conference ought to have the edge over a team from a weaker conference.

We all know that strange things can and do happen with the BCS, but you ought to have a good shot at it.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.