Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-08, 10:40 AM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Tough Spring..

I've been struggling finding fish this spring...first tourney was last weekend and did not have time to pre-fish and the spot (A large inlet) I wanted to hit in the morning was loaded with boats by the time we took off...water temp was 44-46 over most of the lake, interestingly enough the southern area of the lake was a bit warmer at 48-49 and that's were I caught the only two fish of the day for me & my partner..one was a tad too small & had to go back, the other weighed 3lbs 10 oz...and that's how it finished...a bunch of boats didn't catch anything, but the winning weight was a bit over 18 lbs...I hate the feeling of coming in without 5 fish...uggghh

Have another this weekend and went to pre-fish around 2pm yesterday and right when I got out the temp dropped down to 44 and the rain & wind started...swells were 2-3ft and I was the only MORON out there...didn't catch a damn thing..water temp was a lot warmer at the north end..51, so I think I'll start there on Saturday...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated..here's the lake I will be fishing
Old 04-29-08, 11:14 AM   #2
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Northwest protected coves in my opinion.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-08, 11:16 AM   #3
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Early spring the areas on the north end of the lake warm faster. the fish will not be in the same stage of prespawn all over the lake at the same time. Areas with water run in may be even warmer. The fish will go to the warmer water much faster than you imagine.
Fish the 8 to 15 foot range for smallmouth . Fish much shallower fior largemouth. Jigs, shallow running cranks or suspended jerkbaits can be key in that 50 to 55 degree water. If there are craws in this lake a craw pattern crank may be hot stuff.
Fish2win
Old 04-29-08, 03:47 PM   #4
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Don't worry, Jason. I didn't start catching fish until the water warmed up to 54-56 F or so. Keep at it and you'll get 'em buddy!

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 11:13 AM   #5
fishingguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default smallies

Jason,

My father-in-law had a camp in Pembroke, ME and I did quite a bit of smallie fishing in the early spring.

I had my best luck in the extreme northwestern sections....very shallow! May sound crazy, but I got some incredible 'reaction' hits using a baby chugbug in water that was no more than 50 degrees. Cast to the shoreline cover, let the bait sit for 30-45 seconds, work it about 8-10 feet back towards the boat. If no luck, reel in and try the next piece of cover.

This seemed to work better when the sun was shining, but if it was cloudy, had better luck going to the first drop and using rat-l-traps. Once I got a fish, or a few hits, I would then work a spider jig (light as possible), in the same areas. Good luck!

Fishingguy
fishingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 01:37 PM   #6
Bob Smith

The map appears to show a natural lake (rather than manmade)? I presume it's very clear and the most abundant species is smallmouth. If that's the case then the water temps are probably still a little shy of pre-spawn temps. I would concentrate on the points leading into the spawning coves with natural colored jigs (peanut butter and jelly with a green pumpkin twin tail trailer, or green pumpkin Hula Grubs (Yamamoto) on football head jigs, tube baits, shakey head/worms, and even ball jigs with 3-4" curl tail grubs in chartreuse, smoke, pumpkin, geen pumpkin, brown, or root beer. work them slow, try hopping, and try a slow bottom bouncing swimming retrieve.
If the wind is blowing and it's cold, find a long sloping gravel covered point and sling lipless rattling crankbaits in crawfish, red or firetiger colors and work them as fast as you can without breaking the surface (run the bait in 5' or less).
Old 05-03-08, 05:29 PM   #7
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default The results...

Well, the tourney didn't start off too well, didn't catch our first fish until 11..but things changed quickly, just not enough time left...we ended in 5th and found the majority of the fish in super-shallow water at the very south end of the lake...we recently got 3 inches of rain and the warmest water temps were 52...amazingly all of our fish came from a flooded campground/trailer park...I was throwing jerkbait at BBQ grills and tire swings that were all under water..it was a pretty cool sight to see, but I feel bad for all those folks who had water up to their front door...The lake only has small mouths and my best fish weighed 3.78..I was second for lunker...lost by less than a quarter pound..It was a cold 31 degrees this morning and didn't get much past 50 by midday...all in all it was a fun day and I got to see my lil' bro catch his first bass of the season.
Old 05-03-08, 05:59 PM   #8
Bob Smith

Congrats, Jason! Sometimes it's better to just "man-UP" and follow your instincts! Sounds like you guys did just that and it turned out pretty well after all!
Old 05-03-08, 08:59 PM   #9
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

sounds fantastic to me jason!! 5th is still a winner. congrats on the tourny. hope you keep on doing good friend.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.