Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-08, 11:27 AM   #1
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Best States for LM

Rate your top 5, 10 or however many you want....Fo size, numbers, ease of fishing, just what you think the best states would be....

I'd say
1. Florida-Big bass, lots of 'em, and plenty of places to go. I think we've got some world records, hiding way back in the Glades, or in some central Florida lakes. Maybe even in the St. Johns, in some backwater, all gorged up on shrimp...
2.California-Never been, but numbers don't lie. Number 2 only because those 25 pounders are pretty much farm raised
3. Texas- In between Florida and California on size and numbers. Never been, but again, seems like there's definetely some hogs.
4. Arizona- Sleeper state. I fished outside Globe, and caught a couple nice 4 pounders. State record pushes 17 pounds, and I think that with some management, it could be the next cali.
5. South Carolina- Marion, Moultrie, Keowee, Strom Thurmond all hold numbers of respectable bass.
6. Bama- Eufala, Guntersville, Pickwick, bunch of rivers, all holding nice, healthy populations of big fish.
7. Either Arkansas or North Carolina, both holding decent numbers of decent fish.
8-50. Toss up in my book, Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee, Virginia, Ohio all hold nice populations, but I don't really know enough about them. Actually, I don't know about a whole lot outside the Southeast, so I'm looking forward to y'alls opinions....

On a side note, I think Louisiana could be fantastic, but the mangement isn't there....
Old 04-22-08, 11:35 AM   #2
Lilmoosecountry

Yor kidding yourself if Missouri is not on there some place. While there not as big. Mo lakes are more consistant on average sizes then any other lake in the country. Plus more MO lakes have a bigger national reputation than any other state in the usa. Sing Roland Martains theme song. Even in his theme song he names more missouri lakes than all the others combineded. Ohh by the way thatz a florida boy saying that. Bull Shoals, Truman, Stockton, Table Rock,lake of the Ozarks,North of I70 you have Smithvile.

Last edited by Lilmoosecountry; 04-22-08 at 11:41 AM.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 11:41 AM   #3
flbassman

Quick question Moose, do you work for the Missouri Dept. of Tourism?
Old 04-22-08, 11:50 AM   #4
Lilmoosecountry

Nope sir i don't. I'm actully from Wisconsin. But i came down here & never left. Your welcome to come see fo yourself. I' ll even put you up at my lake house for the weekend. Then prove me wrong. Our fish averages are more consistant then any lake any where. Which means it's not a hawg now then. It's a hawg all the time.
Old 04-22-08, 11:53 AM   #5
flbassman

If I'm ever out that way, I'll definitely do some fishin....I put Arkansas on the list, and I guess that's right next door. Like I said, I don't know a whole lot outside of right near Florida....What's your list look like after MO?
Old 04-22-08, 12:00 PM   #6
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Not to mention about Missouri, more diversity in habitat, structure and seasonal patterns. Have the flooded timber, emergent and submergent vegitation, rocky bluffs, open water, Largemouth, smallmouth and Kentucky spots, clear water, muddy water and more shoreline miles than any other state in the intercontinental U.S.A. except Florida.
I wouldn't put it in the top five, but deffinately fits in the Top ten.
Old 04-22-08, 12:01 PM   #7
Lilmoosecountry

We use fish from Arkansas as bait on the mo river. Just kidding. Well depends on what type of bass fishing i want to do. Small Mouth Green Lake Wisconsin.http://www.visitgreenlake.com/visitgl/ I've fished in Florida. Yeah the fish are big. I admit it. But i love it here because there is consistancy in every fish you catch.
Old 04-22-08, 12:03 PM   #8
Lilmoosecountry

Thanx basstech for having my back.
Old 04-22-08, 01:47 PM   #9
basstech

Antytime, Lilmoose. I just love this state, don't know why though. I like South Carolina and Georgia a lot as well. It's just something about that Ozark Plateau makes me call this home.
Maybe Homestates shouldn't be included.
Old 04-22-08, 03:24 PM   #10
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstech View Post
Antytime, Lilmoose. I just love this state, don't know why though. I like South Carolina and Georgia a lot as well. It's just something about that Ozark Plateau makes me call this home.
Maybe Homestates shouldn't be included.
Well being i from wisconsin. I guess i have that right. I love Smithvile lake. It even fills like like truman when you fish it. It was also rated the #1 lake north of 170. In Missouri fish & Game magzine this month.
Old 04-22-08, 05:09 PM   #11
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Well If I had to go by states I've actually fished for bass in, this'd be it:

1. Ohio
2. Michigan
3. Alabama (only there for a weekend, not really to fish, and didn't catch anything.)

I'm sure this doesn't help much though.

Moose, I'd love to come visit Missouri, but not for bass.

BB
Old 04-22-08, 05:22 PM   #12
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Well If I had to go by states I've actually fished for bass in, this'd be it:

1. Ohio
2. Michigan
3. Alabama (only there for a weekend, not really to fish, and didn't catch anything.)

I'm sure this doesn't help much though.

Moose, I'd love to come visit Missouri, but not for bass.

BB
Yeah your arm would be warn out with the average size bass of 3 to 5lbs all day. MO-Hawg hawg Hawg hawg Dink Florida- Huge hawg Huge hawg Dink DinkDink. It's best you not came your proable not able to handle such active fishing
Old 04-22-08, 05:57 PM   #13
Rebbasser

Moose, you need to come down here. I'm about 2 1/2 hours from Falcon (Elite winning weight was 130+ lbs), 2 hours from Amistad and 1 1/2 from Choke Canyon. Roland Martin never fished these lakes
Old 04-23-08, 09:18 AM   #14
Lilmoosecountry

Reb i purpose a swamp. Weekend here for a weekend there.
Old 04-23-08, 10:37 AM   #15
Rebbasser

Now that sounds like a plan!
Old 04-23-08, 01:20 PM   #16
Lilmoosecountry

I'll PM yeahh later on the offer. New baby is my only schedule issue.
Old 04-23-08, 02:38 PM   #17
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
We use fish from Arkansas as bait on the mo river. Just kidding. Well depends on what type of bass fishing i want to do. Small Mouth Green Lake Wisconsin.http://www.visitgreenlake.com/visitgl/ I've fished in Florida. Yeah the fish are big. I admit it. But i love it here because there is consistancy in every fish you catch.

Fishing in arkansas has really picked up. There are a handfull of lunker lakes scattered about the state. Monticello is my local lake, 14 lbs current record with 10lbs being caught pretty regular. then there is Columbia, White Oak, Table rock, and tons of river and oxbows to fish.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 10:12 PM   #18
bamabassman

ok moose, the next big get together is on you friend. i am gonna have one at my house, or a campground here. and next year it is gona be at your house, deal? would love to come there and fish with a cheesehead. love the packers too. but the dolphins are my team, although they ain't got nuthin, lol.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 10:13 PM   #19
bamabassman

and rebb, the following year it is your turn, ok?
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 10:48 PM   #20
flbassman

Go Fins! I'll take year after Reb....
Old 04-23-08, 11:32 PM   #21
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

The only states ive fish in are MD and PA ...Im afriad if I go down to flordia or texas I wont come back ...I really like fishing in Md though I may have never caught ne thing over 7 but ne thing 4 and up gets my blood goin ...I have a Big Cigar with a lighter just sittin in my boat for the day a catch something over 7lbs !!!

O yeah ive been to canada dont even get me started on that smallmouth fishing
Old 04-24-08, 10:10 AM   #22
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
ok moose, the next big get together is on you friend. i am gonna have one at my house, or a campground here. and next year it is gona be at your house, deal? would love to come there and fish with a cheesehead. love the packers too. but the dolphins are my team, although they ain't got nuthin, lol.
Don't forget to have plenty of beer,cheese & pickled Herring on hand.
Old 04-24-08, 11:03 AM   #23
Deacon

Cool

I actually starting to take offense that some of you guys think that Cali fish are farm raised. We have MORE big fish than 98% of all the states. Yeah some lakes like Falcon and Amistad are producing huge numbers. They are seriously great lake for quality and quantitiy. But out west here we have been catching big fish, big sacks and lots of them for a loooong time now. I watched the FLW live from the Cal Delta and if you didint weigh in at least 25lbs a day(not including the 8-13lb kickers) then you werent even in the money.

I fish Clear Lake ALOT. Samething there...If you bring a bag into the weigh-in that weighs 20lbs or less, I wouldnt even bother. These bodies of water produce HUGE weights. On average for Clear Lake(mind you I said average) it takes over 30lb to win. On a consistant basis! If you are a fun fisherman you could go out to Clear Lake on any given day and catch 20-50 fish a day. All consistant 2-4lbers with a lot of fish in the 5-8 range. Also any cast you make can produce a fish over 10. How many of you can say that about the lakes that you fish on a REGULAR basis.

Now I am not in anyway shape or form knockin and east, midwest or southern lakes. I have not fished them so I cant say first hand but what I can say is that here in California we have a tremendous fisheries. I think that to say thngs like "Cali fish are farm raised" is talking out your a$$ and NOT knowing the quality of the fisheries around here first hand. When you make a statement about the fisheries like that, it also makes me think that some of you actually have a hint of jealousy toward what we have here.

Once again I am NOT saying that Cali fishing is better than all the other lakes in the country. I am saying that we have a great eco-system through Cali that makes are fishing stand out.

Bottomk line is until you come out here and give Cali fishin a try....You will never know how lucky we(Cali guys) are. The lakes around here are very special. Anyone of you want to give Clear Lake a try, I will happily show you what we have to offer......
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 11:26 AM   #24
WTL

Alabama has everything that missouri has, only our fish get about 4 pounds bigger. We have the best smallmouth lakes in the country, some of the best spots and largemouth lakes. Rankings are bs, but we have everything.
Old 04-24-08, 11:30 AM   #25
Lilmoosecountry

Better ECO-System ha. You mean Smog. I don't think so. Besides part of the challenge of bass fishing is weathor. You cali boys don't even know what kind a challenge fishing can be in the Midwest. My Missouri bass are DINKS in comparison. I promise you 1 thing & That you as a fishermen will be challeged allot harder in a tournament to catch our fish.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.