Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-08, 04:02 PM   #1
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default good experience

i was at work this morning and had to cover the sporting department for a while i regulary sell appliances but i ended up talking to a couple in thier mid to late 40's who were going fishing for thier first time . by the end of the conversation i had helped them pick tackle ,baits , poles and reels now i work at a kmart that has a sears appliance department in it so our selection of equipment is not that great but the couple seemed to be real excited about the trip and could not stop thanking me for the info and tips i passed along to them it was just a moment to smile about , so i passed this sites name to them and told them to check it out and hopefully they will have a good trip

Last edited by Jim80; 05-04-08 at 07:06 PM.
Jim80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-08, 05:48 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

now that's what i call a salesman, hahahaha. kidding of course. it is nice that you helped them out. hopefully they will log on and join us. thank you for promoting the site. i always try to get folks to join us here.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-08, 06:28 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I used to run the fishing department many years ago at a local department store in our town for about 8 years. I would often find myself setting up newbies with their first purchase of fishing gear. I always found it rewarding to know I had a hand in helping to get a new fisherman started out in the right dirrection. It's just a good feeling. I hope they do join us here Jim. That would be the icing on the cake for ya.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 05:45 PM   #4
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hats off to you and job well done!!!

I don't work at Sportsmans Warehouse and two were two fellows that were experienced trout anglers who wanted to try bass fishing. The guy at the counter didn't know jack about bass fishing, and I, checking out the rods overheard the conversion by chance.

The salesman looked like a deer in the headlights. So I came up and asked to confirm what they were looking for. They wanted casting gear, and they wanted quality upfront. They also wanted a decent rod. I then asked them what they were willing to spend and when they told me about $200, I gave them the scoop on what were decent reels and rods.

I had them sold on the following

201 Shimano Citica D and Shimano Clarus ($120 + $59 = $179)
201 Shimano Citica D and Shimano Compre (120 + $89 = $209)

I filled them in that since they used spinning gear a lot that chances were pretty good that they would prefer a left handed reel.

I also gave them the scoop on how to cast in the store and how to properly set the reel and left them with one thought when casting... No matter what happens, your thumb must stop the spool from spinning before the lure hits anything, be it the ground, a shrub or the water's surface.

I gave them the scoop on lure types and lines.

They were very happy after the lesson and made their purchase with the same joy as children opening their presents on Christmas Day.

They thanked me and we parted ways and it was although I didn't buy anything major, I felt good about helping them.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.