Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 01-28-13, 08:16 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Question Will somebody 'splain this to me?

Fluorocarbon has the same refractive properties as water, so it is virtually invisible under water. So:

Why are they making fluoro line with tint? It is now available in clear and a green mist color.

My guess it is for stained water to blend in, but if it refracts light the way it is promoted do you really need color?
Old 01-28-13, 08:28 PM   #2
Bassboss

Fluoro dosn't have the same refractive index as water, just very similar.

Adding color the line let it "blend" into water. Whether or not their's any relevance to this whatsoever I can't say that I've done any research.

But, their's a market for it! And if you can make money from it, companies will do it. I think that's the main reason for adding the tint.
Old 01-28-13, 08:34 PM   #3
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

So that we can see it, lol.

I don't really know myself but if it isn't marketing hype or catching an angler, I see no need to color a line other than to make it more visible to us or for it to "blend in" better at a certain depth. When given a choice, I will almost always choose a clear nylon or fc line.
Old 01-28-13, 08:51 PM   #4
Marty

I agree with Bassboss, probably more for marketing reasons than fishing.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-13, 09:26 PM   #5
joedog

Maybe it's kinda like Vanish, once under water the floro takes over.
Basically what islandbass said about us seeing it.

Camo braid I understand but green tint Fluoro...not so sure.

Any particular line you've seen or more of just a generic type question?
Old 01-28-13, 09:32 PM   #6
bassboogieman

Yo-Zuri makes a pink tint Flurocarbon (leader material) especially for 'mule for around bridges and pads.

Just in case you didn't believe me...

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-28-13 at 09:37 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-13, 10:14 PM   #7
nofearengineer

Surely you guys aren't implying that fishing equipment companies would lie and hide behind fake pseudoscientific jargon just to sell you something you don't need...
Old 01-28-13, 11:52 PM   #8
Jrob78

Part of it might be for people who want the qualities of fluorocarbon but don't necessarily care about the visibility. Reaction baits come to mind, I don't think line color makes any difference at all in whether or not a fish slams a crankbait. To me, finesse fishing is the only scenario where line visibility "might" come in to play. I don't believe fish are as line shy as a lot of people think they are.
Old 01-29-13, 12:45 AM   #9
Rebbasser

Joe, I want to say P-Line Fluorocarbon.

I guess the point I am trying to make is when fluorocarbon hit the market it was all the rage being touted as "invisible under water" and now they need color?

Just curious
Old 01-29-13, 08:14 AM   #10
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Part of it might be for people who want the qualities of fluorocarbon but don't necessarily care about the visibility. Reaction baits come to mind, I don't think line color makes any difference at all in whether or not a fish slams a crankbait. To me, finesse fishing is the only scenario where line visibility "might" come in to play. I don't believe fish are as line shy as a lot of people think they are.
I think Jrob hit it right on the nail. I would bet guys using colored flourocarbon lines are line watchers, who want the physical properties of flourocarbon as far as sensitivity, strength, and low stretch, but want to see their line when working their t rigs, jigs, ect. They prefer the flourocarbon over braid for whatever reasons.
Old 01-30-13, 04:55 PM   #11
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
This sounds the most plausible. Well said, JRob!
Old 01-31-13, 09:24 AM   #12
bassboogieman

Joe, has a big hammer and the nail head is burried. That's how I started with copoly line - reaction baits. I love throwing spinnerbaits and that's what I first used it for, then it naturally progressed to crankbaits. One presentation that I used it for and have since changed (the smallies at Dale Hollow last year opened my eyes) is topwater baits. I changed to braid during that trip. As it floats I think those light weight poppers I was using worked better than with the copoly, it seemed I was getting better casting distance and more strikes using the braid than the copoly. Might again have been my imagination, but it's what I have confidence in now and that's at least 80% of the battle.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-13, 03:19 PM   #13
Rebbasser

Quote:
it's what I have confidence in now and that's at least 80% of the battle.
I'd say it is higher than that. Confidence is the name of the game.
Old 02-02-13, 07:40 PM   #14
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Joe, has a big hammer and the nail head is burried. That's how I started with copoly line - reaction baits. I love throwing spinnerbaits and that's what I first used it for, then it naturally progressed to crankbaits. One presentation that I used it for and have since changed (the smallies at Dale Hollow last year opened my eyes) is topwater baits. I changed to braid during that trip. As it floats I think those light weight poppers I was using worked better than with the copoly, it seemed I was getting better casting distance and more strikes using the braid than the copoly. Might again have been my imagination, but it's what I have confidence in now and that's at least 80% of the battle.
I've read different pros talk about preferring braid for topwaters in a few different Bassmasters Magazine articles. It makes sense to me, assuming you use the right rod. You would have to be sure to ease back on the drag and use a light, slow rod.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.