Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-08, 04:05 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Shaky Head fishing

I'd like to start a discussion about shakyhead fishing. That is a technique that I have not used and am planning to employ this year. About all I know is that it employs the use of a small worm, a jig head and a little shaking goin on. I could really use more specifics, such as rod and reel choices for this technique. Line weight choices, weight and style of the jig head you prefer. There is a myriad of choices in jig heads for shaky head fishing. Would one want a 2/0 hook or a 3/0 hook for a 5 inch shaky worm? Football design, with or without spiral wire, or the spike for holding the worm. The choices are endless. Strike King, Venom and Bagly all make a good looking shaky head jig. I know some like the Spot Remover heads. Basically I'm looking for a run down on how to get started using this technique.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 04:13 PM   #2
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Speaking of it, I was just going to start a thread, but thanks!

In my opinion, most, (not all), Shakey Heads will fall down under water unless it is a great football head jig, or there is no underwater obtrusions. I personally use the Picasso Shake-E-Football's, although I still think they crash underwater.

-Lunk-
Old 03-02-08, 04:58 PM   #3
zooker

the shakey thing is da thang.. i refuse to rig a small worm i use a 6" trick worm. let it skinny dip about an inch in spike it. keep it simple, i use an 1/8oz ball head jig, do a a lil twist and make it weedless. the simple chunk it out and drag on bottom with a bit-o-bootie shakin seems to work for the most part.. the hits can be suttle or massive let the bass tell ya..

i use a 7 foot ml spinning rod high speed spnning reel loaded with 15 pound braid -you can use floro but i aint a fan- the rod has to have good feel i use a fenwick hmx. -now-

don't be scared lil fish inhail that rig. notice how far down the hook is sticking out of the bass mouth..

zooker
Old 03-02-08, 06:32 PM   #4
lunker-lander

Nice fish, Zook! And recent!

-Lunk-
Old 03-02-08, 07:07 PM   #5
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
the shakey thing is da thang.. i refuse to rig a small worm i use a 6" trick worm. let it skinny dip about an inch in spike it. keep it simple, i use an 1/8oz ball head jig, do a a lil twist and make it weedless. the simple chunk it out and drag on bottom with a bit-o-bootie shakin seems to work for the most part.. the hits can be suttle or massive let the bass tell ya..

i use a 7 foot ml spinning rod high speed spnning reel loaded with 15 pound braid -you can use floro but i aint a fan- the rod has to have good feel i use a fenwick hmx. -now-

don't be scared lil fish inhail that rig. notice how far down the hook is sticking out of the bass mouth..

zooker
I can see Zookie shakin' his Bootie with a lil' twist and a spike, watin' for that lil' bass to bite.... Zook! Do you sing to 'em ? Here fishie, fishie. Here fishie, fishie. Man, you're a trip. Good post ole' buddy. Carpy
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 07:23 PM   #6
Cranebird
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Dang it Carpy Thanks for etching that image in my brain.C-Bird Croak.
Old 03-02-08, 07:35 PM   #7
CarpMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranebird View Post
Bird, I like the jingle you put at the end of you name at every post, wating to see what's next. We thought of you today while driver up the lane and a bird flew over the trk and chit on the windshield. Polly said "C-Bird chit" I said "Yeah That's PnJ" We had a good laugh. ..... Sorry Guys, I should,ve responded to this on another thread. My mistake Carp
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 09:12 PM   #8
zooker

no carpy this is what i am thinking..

zooker
Old 03-02-08, 11:54 PM   #9
Rebbasser

Quote:
Ditto. I could have done without that image.

Keith, I like the spot remover jighead. It's flat on one side so the worm sticks up when it is sitting on the bottom. I fish it on a 7' MH action rod with 30 lb braid and an 8 lb fluoro leader.
Old 03-02-08, 11:59 PM   #10
keithdog

I can see that working somehow into a Super Bowl commercial of some kind.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 07:37 AM   #11
Cranebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post

Keith, I like the spot remover jighead. It's flat on one side so the worm sticks up when it is sitting on the bottom.
Reb,That spot remover look like this type ?I don't know where I got these but they are alright.I have a time gluing the worm on the post thingy when trying to hurry but other than that they work well. C-Bird Soar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1989  
Old 03-03-08, 02:20 PM   #12
Texas_Justice85
BassFishin.Com Member

the spot remover is the only shakey head that I use. I will get a 3/16 or 3/8 with the twist lock. Let it sink to the bottom, give it a good pop or two every 3 seconds or so. My fav worms are the berkley handpoured or the zoom finesse worm in watermelon red or mardi gras
Old 03-05-08, 11:15 AM   #13
bassnman30

OK here goes, the spot remover gets hung up more in rocks. No offense guys but thats the way that I've found it. The round bend is much better in rocks, mud etc..I use a G.Loomis "Shakey head rod". This rod is a mh action and is very sensitive. 8 LB flouro. I use Seagure but it's your choice. 6" Roboworms, seems like any dark coor works. Just hop this thing across the bottum, if you see the line moving or if you get a strike set the hook. I let mine run for a foot or so, that way I know that he's got the worm totally in his mouth. " I think that they pick the worm up by the tail". Your opinion my differ.
Old 03-05-08, 11:23 AM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've tried the screw on jigs and they tear up the front end of the small worms. I have not used them yet, but I am going to try the Spot Remover jigs this summer.

BB
Old 03-05-08, 11:26 AM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

What color do you guys use when fishing the Shaky Head?

BB
Old 03-05-08, 01:19 PM   #16
lunker-lander

In terms of jigs or worms?

Jigs - Picasso Shake-E-Football; Green Pumpkin Tiger, Watermelon Tiger, or Brown/Purple...

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...ICASS-PSF.html

Worms - Roboworm Fat Straight Tail Worm or Northland Tackle "Dean Rojas" Slurpies Shakey Worm; Aaron's Magic, Baby Bluegill, Brown/Pumpkin, Morning Dawn, Warmouth.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...ROBO-RFST.html
http://www.northlandtackle.com/Categ...in.taf?cat=328

-Lunk-
Old 03-06-08, 08:37 AM   #17
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

I use a 3/32oz screwed up jig head made by reaction innovations and robo worms (aaron's magic).

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 05:48 PM   #18
mkmsports41
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mkmsports41
Smile Shakey Head

The beast shakey head products ever made. IMO Go here, home made jigs and worms. www.sneedproducts.com
mkmsports41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 08:49 PM   #19
Wayniac6
BassFishin.Com Member

Gambler Giggy Head 3/32 oz. They have a 4/0 & 5/0 hooks and a molded in barb making rigging easy without tearing up your bait. Go to www.redshad.com he will take good care of you.

Zoom Finese, Trick Worm or Gambler has a nice bait made for the Giggy Head.

8lb P-Line Fluoroclear

Shimano Spirex 2000

7' Gander Mountain Guide Series Pro Select IM8 Medium-Lite

The only problem I have is that I hate to put it down and do something else but I usually catch fish and when I'm not catching fish I stick with it because I have caught so many fish in the past. I also love the feel of the light rig, when the fish hits it will set your hair on fire.

Wayne Judd
Indianapolis, Indiana
Wayniac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 08:51 PM   #20
Rebbasser

Quote:
Reb,That spot remover look like this type ?I don't know where I got these but they are alright.I have a time gluing the worm on the post thingy when trying to hurry but other than that they work well. C-Bird Soar.
Yep, that's them. I get them at BPS.

Bassnman, they do get hung up occassionally, but any jig does.
Old 03-09-08, 09:26 PM   #21
DaHorns
BassFishin.Com Member

I picked my spot removers up at Academy, but I have been using a Grande Bass Baby Rattlesnake. Had a pretty good day today out on Travis with the shakeyhead.
I tried the Picasso jig heads but got frustrated with the screw lock on the jighead, also tried the giggyhead jigheads and found that they tend to fall over where the spot removers stay standing up when they hit the bottom.
DaHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 05:05 PM   #22
rrw4258

I fish the spot remover pro model, with a gambler giggy stick for the worm. The worm has a finesse worm body but the last 1/2" or 3/4" is like a small tube. Great Product and really catches the fish, I fish them on a 6"6" Medium Action Quantum IM6 Rod, with a Abu Garcia Cardinal 102 Spinning Reel spooled with 8lb. Sufix Elite.

Ryan
Old 03-11-08, 05:21 PM   #23
pignjig

rrw- I have to agree with you about the gambler giggy stick. It's also good for light line C-Rigging, too.

-Pig
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 01:08 AM   #24
SeTiNHooKs
BassFishin.Com Member

I have actually been fishing the shakey head all weekend, "for the first time" and I love it! I've been using a zoom craw, "blueberry" with a 1/16oz shakey head so it falls really slow.. I've been fishing in pretty shallow water but I nailed over 30 bass this weekend including this guy!!Try it out you will like it!!
SeTiNHooKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 10:28 AM   #25
links_man2

Been having good luck on the Strike King Tour Grade football jig heads green pumpkin in 3/8 oz. They have a good Gamakasu hook. I just t-rig a Finesse worm on it and makes it very weedless. Have better luck as far as being weedless t-riging than I do with the heads that have the springs. For my lake I like a Green Pumpkin Finesse worm with the tail dipped in Chart Spike-It.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.