Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-12-08, 09:07 PM   #1
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question how do i catch a monster bass

how do i catch a monster 10 or 11 pound bass. i have caught bass weighing in from 9 to 1 pounds but nothing bigger. for the bigger ones i have been using ten inch culprit original worms and other large worms.
danielbasspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-08, 09:12 PM   #2
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Keep doin what your doin. Eventually (tomorrow through 5/10 years) you'll get one. Big live shiner work too.
Old 10-12-08, 09:15 PM   #3
Jrok
BassFishin.Com Member

Sometimes its just being in the right place at the right time, patience, the right tackle and lots of practice.
But on the other hand I have seen kids with their zebco rods and reels and line as thick as a cable outfish thier elders with more "sophisticated" tackle.
Jrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-08, 10:17 PM   #4
crankybait

big baits= big fish. Jigs n Swimbaits I've heard produce some monsters.
Old 10-12-08, 10:22 PM   #5
flfireman

As soon as someone tells you exactly how to do it. Let me know, I'll pay for info on how to catch big bass all the time.
Old 10-12-08, 10:28 PM   #6
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
As soon as someone tells you exactly how to do it. Let me know, I'll pay for info on how to catch big bass all the time.

I'll second that one .

Jim
Old 10-12-08, 10:28 PM   #7
doc

Fish in places that have big bass. Use big baits, and be patient. 10+ lb bass dont come easy
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-08, 10:40 PM   #8
cassidyta

You need an old priest and a young priest, half a goat and a live chicken.....

The only way I know to focus solely on the big ones is by sight fishing during the spawn times. Even then, you may find yourself far more frustrated than anything.

Big Baits will help you focus on big bass, but I have caught 7 inch bass on 8 inch swimbaits so it is not a guarantee.

IMO focusing only on the trophy bass, can make for a bad day on the water. The odds are that none of us will get one on a single trip to any body of water. Big Bass look great in the pic, but a limit of 3 and 4 lbs will usually beat it in a tourney.
Old 10-13-08, 09:07 AM   #9
ROBZILLA

I'll tell you what a wise man told be.

You can't pick up a violin and expect to play it in one day.

this holds tru to what you want to do. start off by catching small ones and work your way up. after time well spent and learning new methods of catching, you will move on to bigger fish. Dont always think your going to catch big ones right off the bat.
Old 10-13-08, 12:17 PM   #10
Raul

Raulīs guide to ketchin munster bass:

1.- You wanna ketch them big mommas ? you have to start by living where big mommas can be found in numbers, population: there are a lot more little bass than big momma bass, itīs matter of density.

2.- Now, letīs suppose that you live where big mommas live ( like me ), then you have to increase your chances of ketchin them big mommas, in other words, you have to fish as often as you can, you ainīt gonna ketch them if you ainīt at the lake with your bait in the water.

3.- Now letīs assume that you spend a lot of time at the lake known for producing big mommas regularily then you have to be there when your chances are greater and the fish are concentrated, your chances increase if you fish for them when the lake is best to fish ( I prefer when itīs low ) and when most fish are fishable, like during the pre and spawn season. Why ? low because the fish are concentrated in a smaller surface and during the pre and spawn because the fish are going to be for extended periods of time ( the fish are not going to move because they are busy building the nest or taking care of the it ), that may not mean much if you donīt analize it in depth, instead of you having a shot at a fish that changes location regularily the fish are going to be at the same location for days, not minutes or hours.

4.- Fish with baits known to produce big fish, the jig nītrailer combination is the #1 big bass bait of all times ( it has been my #1 big bass bait for years so what they say is true ), swimbaits are coming along but they arenīt #1 yet, big worms also produce big bass.

5.- Practice PATIENCE , you wanna ketch them big mommas you gotta learn to be patient, which is the hardest thing to learn, itīs very easy to fall into the temptation to change what you are fishing in order to get more bites, the catch is that you are not fishing in order to get more bites, you are fishing to get THE ONE BITE. That means that you may have to fish for days casting all day long and return home empty handed most of the times.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 12:32 PM   #11
tnfisherman

i know how to catch the big one

with a rod and reel
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 03:24 PM   #12
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnfisherman View Post
i know how to catch the big one
with a rod and reel
I guess you just plan on beating the fish into submission with just a rod and reel. What about fishing line and a hook?
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 03:45 PM   #13
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Learn about bass migration habits and you will find 'em...

Two things to remember:

1) As bass grow in size they separate from the pack and will generally retreat to deeper waters & usually only strike when they feel protected, besides they didn't get this big from being caught all the time...

2) Biggest bass are caught in pre-spawn(spring) or in the fall when they are bulking up for winter...almost all of my tourneys in the spring have produced much heavier females because they haven't yet dropped their eggs...

Good Luck!
Old 10-13-08, 04:25 PM   #14
tnfisherman

fishingolf thats true
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 04:44 PM   #15
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

your lake has alot to do with it. some places have more quality and some lakes are more quanity. just keeping trying
Old 10-13-08, 05:23 PM   #16
angusdad2003
BassFishin.Com Member

first need to find a 10 # cricket!
angusdad2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 07:03 PM   #17
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The prespawn season is indeed a great time to land a monster bass, however we are entering the other time of year that can land you a wall hanger. Like Raul and others said, the jig n pig is a great large bass bait. This time of year, I have always also done well with a larger tandem spinner worked close to mid depth cover. It's a transition time for the bass this time of year. Find a flat off a point that is near deep water and you may have struck gold. If your lake has shad, they often move into the backs of creeks this time of year, and the bass will follow. I'm fishing natural lakes in my area right now, and having my best luck fishing with a beaver bait rigged T style using a 3/8oz. tungsten bullet weight. I'm working around and right through weedy cover in 8-12 foot of water. I'm also taking bass on spinnerbaits in 5-8 foot of water. I have also had luck using a medium to deep diving crank in mid depths. So far I havn't had much luck at all in the shallows. But in a couple weeks, I expect the shallow water bite to get strong up here in northern Indiana. I'll primarily be using a spinnerbait, and Rattlin Rouge in the shallows, and of course the jig n pig around heavier cover. I would recommend fishing isolated spots, like a smaller clump of weeds, a small lone submerged trunk, a small patch of lilly pads, and so on. I've found that the larger bass will usually claim those small spots for themselves, while the younger smaller bass will roam more. I really believe for the most part, large bass don't hang with smaller bass. Like it was said above, they tend to be loaners, and very defensive of their territory. They won't share with smaller bass. And why should they? So if your goal is to hang a monster bass, and your catching smaller bass from a piece of structure, then move to another spot. Large bass are always the exception and not easy to find. Thats how they got so big. So it will take lots of patience. One last thing. A BIG bass is not going to swim out away from their hiding spot to catch your bait like a smaller bass would. Your going to have to make good casts and work that bait right in their nose. Often it will take repeated casts to get them to strike. And as the water keeps cooling down, your presentation will also have to slow down. Good luck with your quest.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 07:37 PM   #18
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i got 2 surefire ways to get that monster big belly mama hawgwallie bass. you can either go to the war dept, steal a couple of c4 exspolivies, then set em off. or.... find you an old crank telephone and about 50 feet of naked wire. lay the wire on the bottom of the lake, hook it to the crank telephone, and then just crank. when you see the biggest bass rise to the top, snare it!!! hahahaahaha. BOTH are not legal ok? and i was joking of course (yes i have done 1 of the above as a kid, a loooooong time ago,hehe). but i too haven't gotten one over 9 3/4#. but it will come......one day.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 08:24 PM   #19
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbasspro View Post
how do i catch a monster 10 or 11 pound bass.
It's simple. Fish with me.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 09:53 PM   #20
flfireman

Spawn is truly the best time to hook a 10#+ bass. All of the above suggestions play into the mix one way or another. I do favor the phone and wire but that's a different thread w/ a different name( Ill try Zooker or Robzilla). Patience is probably the best advice of all if you fish a place known for large bass. Just like a good woman, they pop up when you least expect it.
Old 10-13-08, 10:27 PM   #21
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
All of the above suggestions play into the mix one way or another.
Yes, mostly mine.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 10:49 PM   #22
woody

As soon as I catch a monster 10 Pounder I'll let ya know!

Just keep that line wet and maybe one day if your lucky...
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-08, 03:29 PM   #23
Rodman_Rob

I've caught 4 10 pound bass over the last couple years and this is what I've learned.

1. You gotta spend a lot of time on the water. I usually fish 2-6 times a week, sometimes its only 15 minutes, sometimes I'll be on teh water 12 hours straight.

2. Big baits aren't what they always want. None of those 4 fish were caught off a large bait. The first was off a small shiner. The 2nd and 3rd were off a lucky craft crankbait during the spawn (see #3 below). The 4th was off a zoom speed craw in bullfrog. Many experts say to use the biggest wild shiners you can get. I don't disagree, I just haven't caught a hog on one. All my hogs were caught on baits that were 4" or less in length.

3. The are most venurable during the spawn. If you can find the bed, the bass will either be on it, or very close. My 2nd ten pounder was pre-spawn. Unknown to me when I hooked her, she was on or near a bed that I just so happened to cast near. I had some troubles getting the lucky craft crank bait out. She literally inhaled it. Because of her being out of the water so long, she kept turning belly up while I was trying to revive her. After 40 minutes I finally decided to let nature do its thing. I left the bass in the water belly up as it was getting dark, cold, and I was waste deep at the edge of a weed line. 5 days later I returned with my boat. Circled the lakes weedline looking for a dead fish. When I didn't find it, I went to the same area I hooked the fish. On the first cast I hooked up with her again. I got her to the boat, length and girth was exactly the same.

4. Last but not least, you and your equipment have gotta be ready at all times. If you're pitching a jig in flooded timber, you can't be using 6 pound mono on an ultra light reel. If you're drop shotting, you can't be putting your reel down to grab a beer or you'll never feel the bite and the fish will have spit out the lure by the time you pop the top. You gotta use the right hooks as well. A 10 pound bass will straighten hooks in a second and if a strong hook isn't sharp then you'll never hook up.

Good luck and tight lines.
Old 10-14-08, 03:51 PM   #24
rodman rat

What Rodman rob said and......he forgot

Big shinners!!! = big bass
rodman rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-08, 06:37 PM   #25
HMtzinc
BassFishin.Com Member

Just keep the faith...do not miss the joy of fishing is only matter of time.
HMtzinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.