Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-01-12, 11:22 PM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Carolina Rig

This is a technique I've never used; am I missing out here? Obviously it works and serves it purpose or it wouldn't have been around as long as it have or even still used.

How many of you all use it?

How often do you use it?

What conditions do you use it under or see fit for using it?

Is it productive for you when you decide to use it? (I know that is dependent on the fish, etc, etc. Hopefully you can see what I'm getting at behind that question)

Like I said it is something I've never used, I've noticed like any other technique there is a rod specific for it.

What reel ratio do you use with it or does it really matter?

Do you fish it uphill or downhill or do the overall conditions dictate that for you?

I've read some on it, but just curious for those of you here that use it what your take is.

TIA
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 11:41 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It is great for covering water since it is a horizontal presentation. This time of year it works well using a french fry-a soft plastic stickbait-fishing a little deeper water. If I am working a specific piece of cover I use a Texas rig since it is more of a vertical presentation. C-rigs work well when fishing something like a tank dam-sorry, a pond dam(for some reason we call ponds tanks here in Texas)-where you are covering water. I use a heavy action 7' Falcon Caroliina Lizard Dragger rod. You need a heavy action rod because you are throwing a heavier bait-I use a 1/2 to 3/4 oz. weight plus the bait and hook-so throwing it needs a stronger rod, and you need the backbone to move the heavier weight on a hookset. The length is important, too, because to get a good hookset you have to move a lot of line. I use braid for my main line and use a fluoro leader. You can use pretty much any soft plastic for your bait. It started out as a great way to fish a lizard but there really are no limits.

A variation of the C-rig is a split shot rig. Instead of a heavy sinker, bead(to protect the knot) and swivel just pinch on some split shot on to your line below the hook. You can fish this rig on spinning tackle with no trouble at all.
Old 08-02-12, 04:53 AM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
This is a technique I've never used; am I missing out here? Obviously it works and serves it purpose or it wouldn't have been around as long as it have or even still used.

How many of you all use it?
I do. I've got one rigged up right now.

How often do you use it?
Varies but I'll say 10% or less.

What conditions do you use it under or see fit for using it?
Searching deep water.....windy days...finding fish

Is it productive for you when you decide to use it? Yes if I decide to use it at the right time/place (I hope you can see what I'm getting at with that answer) (I know that is dependent on the fish, etc, etc. Hopefully you can see what I'm getting at behind that question)

Like I said it is something I've never used, I've noticed like any other technique there is a rod specific for it.
Long/stiff

What reel ratio do you use with it or does it really matter?
Your choice but I prefer HS...

Do you fish it uphill or downhill or do the overall conditions dictate that for you?

I've read some on it, but just curious for those of you here that use it what your take is.

TIA
Search carolina rigs using the search function at the top of the page and you'll find a bunch of really good threads to study. There will be times a C-rig is an excellent tool and it seems that it's the only way to present a bait they'll hit and other times you might as well be dragging an old gym sock through the water......of course I could look in my tackle box and say the same thing about anything in there.
***c-rigs aren't just for soft plastics, I've had some fantastic days using it to present hard baits in deep water. Good Luck
Old 08-03-12, 02:20 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
There will be times a C-rig is an excellent tool and it seems that it's the only way to present a bait they'll hit and other times you might as well be dragging an old gym sock through the water......of course I could look in my tackle box and say the same thing about anything in there.
Ain't that the truth!
Old 08-08-12, 02:15 PM   #5
bqtoot
BassFishin.Com Member

USMC,
It's really something you need to experiment with. Like the others have said, there are many articles on it and that's a good place to start. But really rigging one up and getting out there with it is the only way to know how you prefer it. Generally speaking, it's a deep (deep is relative in this respect) water rig. I use it around under water points, submerged stump fields, submerged humps and even submerged grass. My preference is to use floating worms. With so many ways to rig it, and even more ways to fish it, experiment is the only way. When I first learned how to use a c-rig I tied one on and went out wore it out the whole day just to see what I could do with it. Wasn't too concerned about conditions etc. I just wanted to see what I could do with it the entire day. Learned a lot. Now it's one of those "old reliables" I can count on. Good luck
bqtoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-12, 09:56 AM   #6
F16 1UB
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Central FL

Use it all the time here in central FL. It has it's moments like everything else. 50# Braid & 20# fluoro leader like others but I don't use anything heavier than 1/2 oz tung weight. Favorite bait is Zoom black/Blue lizard. Throw it on 7 1/2' MH rod with 6.2x1 reel. Normally keeper bite too.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 06:09 PM   #7
islandbass

I know this is "lazy" of me, but I just can't get myself to take the time to rig it up. So no go on the carolina for me.

In addition for the times I have used it, it ain't never caught me jack. It doesn't mean it's useless and I haven't written it off. It is mainly because many of my fishing stints are very limited in time and I can tie other rigs much faster such that I can be fishing in less than 30 seconds, including rigging up a DS.
Old 08-23-12, 08:58 PM   #8
fishnart
BassFishin.Com Member

One thing I suggest is they have these things called Carolina Keepers. They're these little things that you can add to your line after the weight and it allows you to adjust the length of your leader without having to re-rig it. I adjust the length often until I find what the fish want. Just a suggestion.
fishnart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-12, 11:26 PM   #9
MikeA57
BassFishin.Com Member

It is a VERY productive technique, but you have to know where and when to fish it. My buddy knows the lakes he fishes in and knows where the underwater points or humps are that are productive. If we're traveling from one spot to another and see active baitfish we'll pull in and cast the C-rig there. The idea is that the smaller fish are generally feeding on the shad near the top while the larger fish are hanging around the same area but deeper.

If there's anything I've learned from fishing with this guy it's study the maps for hidden points, humps and ledges.
MikeA57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-12, 07:33 PM   #10
Bassin' Gal
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I LOVE fishing a c-rig! Of course, it has to be used in the right place in the right conditions, just like every other technique. When I was first learning I hated it and now it is one of my very favorites. I prefer working up an incline but my husband insists the only way to do it is to work down the incline. I do usually outfish him on a c-rig though so I just do it my way and he keeps on doing it his. I definitely think you should put some effort in to learning it.
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-12, 11:31 AM   #11
lilmule

Often fish feel any weight they let go,I use it to as little as three ft.Braid egg sinker swivel then switch to mono of lighter weight,it lets me feel everything,also if caught up mono one can break and lose just the hook or leader and the bait semi free floats behind it with little felt weight by the fish.Simple cheap Berkly lightning rod 40 bucks works well.
Works better in the wind than a t rig,exceptional on shell mounds or humps.
I carry a minimum of two rods for plastics one a crig-bushog or 4in green pumpkin or pumpkin in lizzy,somewhat dependent upon season,t rig 8 to 11 in plum worms,and if possible an unweighted senko on a third.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.