Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-07, 06:28 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Limit of snakeheads

Last tournament of the year for the club. One boat found a bunch of snakeheads and brought in 3 the first day and these 5 the second. Then they took them by a local restaurant and had a little fish fry. They're supposed to be good eatin'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	071111_153009.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	1857  
Old 11-19-07, 06:46 PM   #2
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

"I've been reading about the snakeheads in Maryland. Are the stories for real? Tell me about them."
A. Unfortunately it's true - a pair of snakeheads were released into a pond in Maryland in 2002.

Since then they have reproduced and are wiping out the natural inhabitants. The even sadder part is the fact that these fish are just one instance out of hundreds of fish releases each year. There are at least 185 known species of exotic fishes that have became established in the United States due to fish releases. Of those over half are aquarium fish that were dumped in the wild by their owners.

The snakeheads have gained so much attention because they are a top-level predator. In other words, once outside of their native environment, nothing else eats them. Add to that the fact that they are quite capable of moving across land to reach additional food sources, and you begin to grasp the gravity of the problem. If left unchecked, they could spread to many other bodies of water where they would destroy the indigenous fish.

About Snakeheads
There are roughly two dozen species in the snakehead family. With the exception of a few African species, all of them originate in Asia, primarily in China and southern Korea. Snakeheads are obligate air-breathers, meaning they must get at least a portion of their oxygen directly from the air. When in water, they will go to the surface periodically and gulp air. On land their ability to breath air allows them to stay alive for days at a time, provided they stay moist.

Their preferred habit is shallow ponds and streams where the water is still, and the bottoms muddy with dense vegetation. Their diet is predominantly fish, however they will eat insects, crustaceans, worms, tadpoles, frogs, and even snakes. They reach adulthood in two to three years, at which time they range in size from one foot to nearly three feet in length. Females will produce anywhere from one to fifteen thousand eggs per spawn, and can spawn up to five times per year. That might sound like a lot of offspring however it's not unusual for the parents to eat their own young. By virtue of sheer numbers, at least a few will survive to adulthood.

Food Fish
Snakeheads have long been relished as a food fish due to their pleasing flavor, lack of bones, and the fact that they can be shipped live. They are the primary fish food in Thailand, Indochina and Malaysia. Snakeheads also make a particularly savory soup. In addition to their food value, a small contingent of freshwater fish enthusiasts have kept them in aquariums. Most have been quite responsible owners. However, due to the recent events in Maryland, a ban will very likely be placed on the trade and import of snakeheads.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 12:04 PM   #3
leroy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to leroy

Those things look NASTY!
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 12:36 PM   #4
foolishone
BassFishin.Com Member

Not a chance one of those would get in my boat. Looks like they could permanently slime the the carpets.
foolishone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 08:45 PM   #5
flfireman

Ill put them in my boat. More in my boat-less in the water. I can hose and scrub slime.
Old 11-20-07, 09:47 PM   #6
3dkicker

The bass do feed on the snakeheads. Hundreds of little bass were in the same area as snakeheads. Were the snakeheads feeding on the small bass or the bass feeding on the snakehead fry???????
So far no bass have been found in the stomachs of the snakeheads that have been captured and tested by VDGF. Sunfish and minnows are their primary diet on the river. These fish were found at a warm water discharge area.

Carpy diem - Most people don't realize that largemouth bass are not indigenous to the waters in VA. Neither are blue cats, carp, etc., etc.
Old 11-20-07, 11:21 PM   #7
brushhog

Those look like something I'd rather cut the line than touch... I don't much like pike or bull head, let alone something like that... What other states/waterway are snakeheads found in? how far north do they turn up?
Old 11-21-07, 01:16 AM   #8
Super Fluke

those are some cool lookin' fish
Old 11-21-07, 11:47 AM   #9
3dkicker

The best comparison for these fish in bowfin. Same size and temperment but better eating. Yes they do slime the carpet. These fish were caught on buzzbaits, horney toads, and spinnerbaits in 50 degree water.

Bass fishing has now become very boring compared to catching these fish!!!
Old 11-21-07, 01:26 PM   #10
Plugger
BassFishin.Com Member

Bowfins look similar. Here is a link to an article here in NC.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/news_stori...awba_River.htm
Old 11-21-07, 04:31 PM   #11
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

They look nasty, but fight great. Long, hard runs. Got into a couple a few years back in florida.

tb
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 07:00 PM   #12
pig n jig

Carpy, I see a new line of undergarments in the future. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 08:09 PM   #13
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Carpy, I see a new line of undergarments in the future. P N J

P N J, Our “carp skin undies” didn’t get to the public. A a couple bassers on this forum gave us negative feed back from modeling them for us at a basspro shop fish tank. So we’re going to leave the snake fish skin for someone else. But it’s not all lost, Polly has found a way to make a delicious “Carp Soup”, hopefully you will see it on the market soon. Every thing is natural ingredient, she uses ramps and other wild herbs that we harvest here in the hollow. It’s selling in the local pubs and road side cafes here in the hills. No one has gotten sick, but I must say it does leave a person feeling horny. Since finding these results, the population in this small town has doubled since people has aquired an appitite for her stew. Polly has patented and registered this soup as an aphrodisac. Now, I spend all my time at the pond catching carp while Elmer and Becky are harvesting roots, lil Red is in the kitchen stering the pots and brewing her stew. And that’s the way it goes here in Snow Hollow.... P N J! You and your Wife have a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy the venison. Carpy & Red.

Last edited by CarpMan; 11-21-07 at 11:52 PM.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 10:29 AM   #14
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

I caught about an 18" in a mill pond up here about 3 years ago. Nasty little bast***. Stomped him on the head and he still wiggled five feet back into the water - and swam away! I HATE 'EM!

-LL-
Old 11-27-07, 12:08 PM   #15
THE DL
BassFishin.Com Member

Yup the local waterways in Philadelphia also has a decent population of these things also. Never heard of a 3 footer caught tho, they get to about 20" in this part of the country.
Old 11-27-07, 08:25 PM   #16
3dkicker

Expectations are that they will get to 15lbs on the river. Biggest bowfin I've seen in the state was 12lbs. State record bowfin is over 14lbs.

In VA, blue cats (see Capt Mike), bass, carp, bowfin etc. are all foreign species. Snakeheads will only add to the fun.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.