Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-10-16, 02:33 PM   #1
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default major craft crankbait rods

Does anyone use them ? I am looking for a new trap rod that doesn't break the bank as I am constantly financially challenged. looking at 7' med light.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 06:47 AM   #2
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I get a rod that feels right ... from Walmart or Bass Pro Shop. None of my rods cost more than $100.00 ... and most of them are well below that. They work just fine.
If you're financially strapped ... then get one that feels good, not one that cost more.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 09:17 AM   #3
bassboogieman

Sorry, I have not heard of Major Craft, so I can't comment on that brand of rod but I throw traps a LOT in the spring and offer my comments as to rod choice.

IMO, if you are only throwing 1/4 oz traps you may be okay with a ML rod. 3/8 oz + lures I would move to a M/mod rod 6'9" - 7-2" length if casting in open water situations. If fishing traps in grass, then a MH/fast rod in 7'0". My suggestions apply to most rod brands as they do differ so, as Mike said, feel is important but is somewhat difficult to determine how a rod will perform in the store. Obviously the balance is affected with the addition of a reel, so take the reel you intend to use with you. Most stores won't have a problem with you attaching your reel to an intended purchase.

I also agree with Mike that a high dollar rod is not nearly as important when casting moving baits. But you do need a more poweful rod to set hooks at a distance - traps can be cast a long way - as well as a low stretch line like a copolymer or flurocarbon (I prefer copoly). Braid can be used if fishing vegetation but I don't generally like it with treble hook baits.

All that said, if you only want one rod because of budget consider the Abu Garcia Veritas. I have used a couple of them and think they are the best rod you can get for $100. Also I believe the Veritas is a bit higher in it's power rating, than many competitors, as indicated on the rod specs. A Veritas M is somewhere between a M an MH in many other brands so a Veritas 7'0" M ($99.99 retail) would be my choice for traps. They also have a crankbait specific Veritas Winch as an option if you want to use it for both lipless and diving crankbaits (same price as the Veritas). Paired with a decent low profile reel in around 6.3>1 ratio, either would be a great combo.

There are many rods at more economical prices but the one thing I think you must do is move to a more powerful rod, a ML just does not get the job done with lipless cranks for me.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 04-11-16 at 09:36 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 06:07 PM   #4
pig n jig

Major Craft was only sold in Japan but now I see tackle warehouse is selling them. I like fishing rattletraps. It use to be a jig and senko or super fluke but now I use traps, don't have to replace them as often.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 10:21 PM   #5
3dkicker

Never heard of them or seen them. Will have to check them out when I do see one.
Old 01-08-17, 05:43 PM   #6
3dkicker

You ever pick one up?

I use a Shimano Compre TC4 6'6" med/med fast. It's a hybrid graphite/glass rod. The only rod I'll throw a trap with. Enough backbone to shake grass off but soft enough to load up and not allow the bass to throw the baits.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.