Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-11, 07:32 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Starting to Look Like a Car!

'65 Mustang convertible my dad and I are restoring. We painted it Saturday and the pics were taken before the clear coat had even dried! I've got some better pics on my camera that I'll upload later.

I really like the color, it's called Rangoon Red, or as a buddy of ours who restores cars calls it, "Resale Red!"

Here's a pic from my camera that gives you a better idea of the color that's not messed up from my cell phone camera! (Don't mind the dust, it's dusty in my dad's shop)

BB
Old 03-22-11, 08:10 PM   #2
keithdog

Dangit man! I can't wait to see the finished product!!!! Thats gonna be gorgious!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-11, 08:10 PM   #3
nofearengineer

Purdy, Anthony!

That generation of Mustangs is so popular...though I'll never understand why.

69-70's are my faves.

I hope you make a ton selling it.
Old 03-22-11, 08:57 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Looks good man. Could you zoom in on the posters in the background of the 3rd pic?
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 09:38 PM   #5
bamabassman

you gonna sell it ant? why? i know it's a ford and all man. but you guys have put so much work into it. it is starting to come together man. nice job too!
Old 03-22-11, 10:20 PM   #6
BigBassin144

We didn't want to put this much work into it... But yes, we're going to sell it when it's done.

BB
Old 03-24-11, 09:25 AM   #7
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've owned several Stangs over the years, but my first was a 66 that I got at age 16, so I'm partal to the first generation body style.....Yours is looking good.
Old 03-24-11, 09:54 AM   #8
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Kory man, ROFLMAO. I had to relook at the 3rd pic, Only you would see those blurry images in the background. Now I see nothing else car , what car?
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 10:45 AM   #9
Cavs1123

LOL only Kory would notice the posters!!!! ROFLMAO
Old 03-24-11, 11:18 AM   #10
WTL

1.)What type of paint is that?

2.) How well does it spray?

3.)How much work was it removing everything, did you do that just to paint or would you tape it off if the car was already mostly assembled?
Old 03-24-11, 11:29 AM   #11
WaffleJaw

Anthony its looking great...Nice work to both of ya'll
Kory,good eye!
Old 03-24-11, 12:20 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post

3.)How much work was it removing everything, did you do that just to paint or would you tape it off if the car was already mostly assembled?
Billy, I'll have my dad get on and answer your questions better, but here's what I know:

1. Not sure what type of paint it is, but I know it's a 2 stage PPG Omni paint. Not too high end, but not a cheapo paint either. I don't know much more than that.

2. I can't answer that one, but I can tell you how to turn the vent fans on then sit and watch it get sprayed!

3. Most of the sheet metal is aftermarket. This is definitely a ground up restoration. we replaced the rockers, the whole floor, and an a lot more, so most everything was already off the car.

Like I said, I'll have my dad get on and answer you more fully.

BB
Old 03-24-11, 01:02 PM   #13
CMorg

O man I hate Mustangs... I am a GM fan. But , I sure wish I could restore them cars like you guys. I have 65 Pontiac here if you guys get bored after the stang !!
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 02:04 PM   #14
Embrey

Gm...yuck...
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 03:56 PM   #15
kingfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:

Billy, The first thing that was put on was an epoxy primer over the bare metal. The next 2-3 coats were high build sandable primer. Then whole car was block sanded. The paint is a two part system. It is a base coat (2-3 coats) with a urethane clear coat with a gloss hardener. That gives it the high gloss shine. After the paint has cured, it gets wet sanded with 1000, 1500, then 2000 grit paper. Then it gets buffed out with buffing compound then again with glazing compound.

How well it sprays really depends on what gun you are using, but overall it sprays pretty well. The primer and base coat was put on with a DeVilbiss JGA502. Then the clear coat was sprayed with a Sata Jet gravity feed conventional gun (not HVLP). The clear is pretty easy to put on too heavy if you're not careful though.

Removing trim can be tough. Some require special tools. Our Mustang was already apart because the restoration had been started when we bought it. Like Anthony said, we had to replace a lot sheet metal as well. If the car was mostly assembled and didn't need a lot of work, I would probably just leave it that way. You get a better paint job when you take it apart though. We started with bare metal, but because you aren't, you may need some kind of sealer coat over any of the old paint.

There are a lot of other options in paint that you can use too. If you've got any more question, let me know and I'll try to help you as much as I can.

By the way, we aren't big Ford fans, but when we bought this, GM project cars were at all time high prices. When we do another after this it'll be a GM, even though Anthony wants to do a Mopar.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 04:44 PM   #16
WTL

I'm sure I will be picking yalls brains in May, this summer I want to get some real work done on the caddy...it has a few small dings that need to be handles, a little rust, so I am thinking of stripping it anyway - its just that is a lot of surface area to do, in black, for a first job spraying. A little daunting, but the price tag to have someone else do it might be worse and with less control over results.

Did you construct a sort of booth or just do it in the garage with lots of fans on? I've heard the fumes are pretty gnarly.
Old 03-24-11, 06:43 PM   #17
Embrey

ive had better luck spraying in a garage as is. theres no better teacher than to just get in there and learn as you screw up along the way. painting will test your nerves.
Old 03-24-11, 07:27 PM   #18
BigBassin144

We spray in an actual spray booth (not a car spray booth) at my dad's shop. It's set up for spraying stain and painting doors that they do, but it works ok after a thorough cleaning.

But when we're done, it won't look like a home done paint job. We've had guys that do body and paint work want to know who we had paint the Camaro and even guys want my dad to paint their cars. It's basically going to be the selling point of the Mustang since it really isn't anything special.

BB
Old 03-24-11, 08:07 PM   #19
66KingFisher

Quote:
its just that is a lot of surface area to do, in black, for a first job spraying. A little daunting, but the price tag to have someone else do it might be worse and with less control over results.

Did you construct a sort of booth or just do it in the garage with lots of fans on? I've heard the fumes are pretty gnarly.
In the "for what its worth" dept...Black is the most difficult color to paint for a beginner, and even for some guys with moderate paint experience.....Its shows every flaw in the paint and every flaw in the body work, far easier then any other color. Not to mention that big long flat panels like on a old Caddy, will really show every wave and ripple in the body so unless its just a daily driver and ya don't care what it looks like, be prepared to spend alot of extra time devoted to making sure the bodywork is straight, and then expect alot of block sanding and buffing to get that orange peel free "You could shave in it" mirror shine that only a black paintjob can give.
Old 03-24-11, 08:25 PM   #20
Embrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
In the "for what its worth" dept...Black is the most difficult color to paint for a beginner, and even for some guys with moderate paint experience.....Its shows every flaw in the paint and every flaw in the body work, far easier then any other color. Not to mention that big long flat panels like on a old Caddy, will really show every wave and ripple in the body so unless its just a daily driver and ya don't care what it looks like, be prepared to spend alot of extra time devoted to making sure the bodywork is straight, and then expect alot of block sanding and buffing to get that orange peel free "You could shave in it" mirror shine that only a black paintjob can give.
you mean like this? black SUCKS...

Old 03-24-11, 09:20 PM   #21
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
you mean like this? black SUCKS...
Thats those black beauties I was talkin about.....lol.....Yep, paintin with black sucks, but when done right its a work of art.
Old 03-25-11, 09:43 AM   #22
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
You just reflected all of my concerns. I talked about this same car with yall a couple years back, trying to touch up, but its time for it to all be done from the ground up and done right. I don't know for sure if I'm up to the task, but I just have some real qualms about the cheaper paint job places and I can't go spending thousands on this.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.