Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-09, 10:39 AM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default oooooh good....fiberglass work.

well I got a free 14 ft semi-v fiberglass jon boat last week.....first off, the guy had the entire boat sprayed in rhino liner..inside and out....why inside,i dont know,he said he got it done for a case of beer.....he told me there was a pin hole leak but he didnt know where...no biggie,ive done small repairs in fiberglass before.....well luckily, whoever did the rhino lining didnt use a primer.......so that stuff is peeling off like a band-aid....so far i got the entire inside off.....its a three bench seater and i located the leak underneath the middle bench.....all the benches are pretty crack and warped....the hull seems pretty good,just alot of flex.......well i took a hammer and putty knife and removed the middle bench......wiped away all the gunk and dirt.....and saw a raised 'y' shaped crack about 8'' long......I sat down,lit a cigarette,and thought...''mother*#%*@!''

never done anything this big.......now i know how to determine how bad it is by tapping around it......i know i have to cut all of that out...and bevel the edges....i already have the resin....soooooo?

any help,advice,materials is greatly appreciated

i just wanna make sure i do it right and thorough.

Walker
Old 07-27-09, 12:02 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

A few years ago, I designed and built a 21-foot fiberglass canoe from scratch. It came out beautiful. I couldn't have done it without a lot of advice from Jamestown Distributors. I found them to be a bit more expensive than just buying some generic fiberglass stuff from a local body shop, but like I said, the customer service was outstanding. They sell stuff for ocean going boats, so I think they can handle a jonboat repair. Their "How To" web page is more than you could read in a month, much less understand heh.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...tal/how_tos.do
Old 07-27-09, 12:29 PM   #3
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
A few years ago, I designed and built a 21-foot fiberglass canoe from scratch. It came out beautiful. I couldn't have done it without a lot of advice from Jamestown Distributors. I found them to be a bit more expensive than just buying some generic fiberglass stuff from a local body shop, but like I said, the customer service was outstanding. They sell stuff for ocean going boats, so I think they can handle a jonboat repair. Their "How To" web page is more than you could read in a month, much less understand heh.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...tal/how_tos.do
awesome link nofear,thanks....ill read more on my lunch break.
I know it'll be a pain (theres quite a bit of patch work needed) but im pretty excited at the same time.....this is gonna be my jon boat to bass boat conversion......Im gutting out the entire hull except for the bow seat,im gonna use that one for some casting deck support,...its got a concave floor so im gonna do some cross bracing,for the floor,and to control the amount of flex, and to lay a 5/8 ply to make a flat floor in between the decks.... 2x2 and more 5/8 ply to build casting decks,storage,carpet with swivel chairs.....
Im on a strict budget,so it'll take some time,but i think i can have it done within a year,hopefully sooner.....im taking progreesion pics as i go,ill start posting once i get the hull all patched up and tested for leaks......ill post one of what i started with later today on this thread.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.