Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-08, 07:22 PM   #1
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Smith Mountain Lake

Anything happening at Smith Mountain Lake? Got a tournament coming up in a couple weeks and trying to see if there's a hungry fish or five. Thanks!
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-08, 08:54 PM   #2
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ice out yet? I will check with a buddy up there..

Capt Mike
Old 02-22-08, 11:22 AM   #3
pignjig

Thanks, Capt. Yah, the ice is gone completely. We had some build up in the shaded coves but not much compared to other years. The water's finally about full pond or more but this drought ain't near over. For what it's worth, a couple guys from the club went out some two weeks ago and caught a few on #5 shad raps right at the edge of the ice...at least, that's what those rascals said.
Old 03-04-08, 12:55 PM   #4
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I remember hearing a guy talk about fishing SML a couple years ago (he fishes it a lot). I remember him saying they wacked some BIG bass fishing a lipless crank in 35'-40' of water off a point. They were just yo-yoing the bait down the point. I know nothing about the lake but just remember him talking about that. I think he is a local from that lake but was fishing a BFL on the James River that day (I was a co-angler that day).
Old 03-04-08, 03:08 PM   #5
pignjig

Thanks, BA! Lipless are usually water-dwellin' cinderblock magnets on SML, especially this time of year. But, that lake is fickle, too. Every couple of years or so some color just takes off. Two years ago, you had to hide behind a tree to rig a cherry colored lizard. Go figure... Before that, siver/white tender tubes from BPS were a big hit. There's no tellin' what'll be the pig pickers this year. I'll be throwing some quality jigs I just got from C-rig01 and some tubes and such from Smitty (I ain't soliciting nothin' here). Along with the crank baits and Carolina rigs, this oughta be a great tournament... Sorry for the book, there. Got carried away! Can't wait to hit the water--

-Pig
Old 03-04-08, 04:51 PM   #6
BassAddict

I've heard that place can be tough to fish. I'd like to check it out sometime. Good luck in your tournament. My first one is the end of this month at Lake Anna. That place can be stingy giving up fish too!
Old 03-04-08, 06:30 PM   #7
pignjig

Anna's a great lake. Our club's big fish of the year came off a deep water dock at Anna@ 5.4#'s. Prettiest LM I'd ever seen. Caught her on a green pumpkin jig with same trailer. I'll be there at the end of May and even before that if I can get off work.
Old 03-04-08, 08:40 PM   #8
BassAddict

I've never done much good there. My brother and I are going down there on the 15th to practice. Hopefully we will figure out something. We need to get off to a good start. The rest of the places we go we should be good but Anna is our achiles heel! The year we won the division we only caught 2 fish for 5.5 lbs. and it was good enough for 6th place. It was a 15" length limit then. I will be exstatic if we were to catch a limit this time!
Old 03-07-08, 05:03 PM   #9
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pignjig View Post
...... I'll be throwing some quality jigs I just got from C-rig01 and some tubes and such from Smitty (I ain't soliciting nothin' here).....-Pig
As far as I'm concerned I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing......

Let us know how you do on "my lake".

BA - give me a shout when you come up for a visit. I had a nice day on the lake late in March last year and I might be able to put you on a fish or two.
Old 03-09-08, 07:45 PM   #10
pignjig

The tournament didn't work out well, BA. Too bad. But, next week's another shot at immortality. Now, as far as Anna goes, well, seems Smitty's got the mojo on that fine body of water...

-Pig
Old 03-11-08, 10:08 PM   #11
BassAddict

Smitty,

My brother and I are headed to Anna this Saturday. I think we are going to start out near the Splits then go fish in Contrary Creek. If you have some better ideas I'm all for it. Do you think we should go further down lake? PM me your thoughts if you would. I'll give you my cell number if you want to give me a call. I'm kind of clueless on this lake for some reason. I actally sent you a PM a little while back. I also need to get some tubes from you!

PNJ,

Tough break on your tourney. Hope you have better luck in the next one. If you ever end up on the James or Chic river let me know and I might could help you out.
Old 03-11-08, 10:15 PM   #12
pignjig

The club's going to the very same Chick this year. I would listen to/read anything you've got on that thing! Thanks for the help. Also, our first real tournament is back Smith Mnt. this Saturday...yah, their callin' for rain. That's ok. It's the frosty ice bullets that really bite! By the way, the club's looking for some new boaters. If you ever have any interest just pm me and I'd be happy to recommend you.

Thanks again!

-Pig
Old 03-12-08, 09:25 AM   #13
BassAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pignjig View Post
The club's going to the very same Chick this year. I would listen to/read anything you've got on that thing! Thanks for the help. Also, our first real tournament is back Smith Mnt. this Saturday...yah, their callin' for rain. That's ok. It's the frosty ice bullets that really bite! By the way, the club's looking for some new boaters. If you ever have any interest just pm me and I'd be happy to recommend you.

Thanks again!

-Pig
PNJ,

When is your Chic River tourney? By the time you have it I should have been on the river a few times and I'll let you know what's going on. Depends on what time of the year you will be there as to where to fish. Let me know. I should be able to help you out.

Thanks for the invite to the club. I'm sure you guys mostly fish out west and that would be a little far for me to travel on a regular basis the way the price of gas is now especially! I would like to fish SML at some point though.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.