Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-08, 07:22 PM   #1
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Northern temps and seasonal pattern?

I was reading something 'Bama posted about water temps rising and it reminded me about the long, tough winter all the Northern Brethren had this year. Now I'm curious as to how the fishing is? What kind of water temperatures have you all got? Are your bass in post-spawn yet? In VA, we're smack in the middle of post spawn for a lot of the waters, probably edging close to summer. In the mountains, we see anywhere from low seventies to high eighties water temperature now depending on the lake, environment and time of day.
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 07:33 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

We had 7 feet over pool 2 weeks ago after several days of 5 inches of rain.
The lake is only a foot or 2 over now, the fishing this late spring has been great, esp. these last couple weeks.
We hit brookville yesterday and cranked over 20 ft of water and had a hay day of smallmouths and nice size largemouth. I stuck with the #8 rapala, water temp 77.9, we found a huge school of fish in one of the giant coves on the lake, bout 2/3 rd's of the way back. Only bad side of the trip was a steady 30 mph wind but the fishing was fantastic once we found them..it took about 2-3 hours to locate active fish. During the flood you'd expect fish on the bank, once they started letting the water down, most bags were caught on deep submerged
tree tops, that had the trunks near the bank (laydowns) in about 17-20 ft.
I expect the fish to go into the deeper summer pattern soon.
Most of the active fish I think were suspended about 7-12 ft on the graph, saw tons of large fish on the bottom, but none of my plastics or swimbaits interested them. Pretty much stuck with cranking all day in the wind.
Only about a gazillion minor backlashes LOL, but worth it.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 08:04 PM   #3
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

In CT i've just started to see the bass bedding in the larger ponds but we just had our hottest weather as well . jb were do you find all those avatars man ?
Old 06-18-08, 08:07 PM   #4
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

The bass in some lakes are in the post-spawn. They're suspended and on ledges when it's windy. They're in huge schools and there are bass fry all over. A bunch are by ledges right next to shallow bluegill beds. The shallow bass are under mats and heavy shallow cover. Typical stuff.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 08:35 PM   #5
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

For a second I was surprised by the water temps JB mentioned, then I realized you all got hit with that last heat wave, too. I guess you went from winter smack into summer pretty quick. So, in short, the bass are catching up with each other all across the country. I don't believe we've got too long before they're all cleaning up their summer cabins and pulling out the bikinis, like JB said.

Good luck to everybody and, JB, that was a great day of fishing! Thanks for sharing...

-Pig

Last edited by pignjig; 06-18-08 at 11:31 PM.
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 12:47 PM   #6
3dkicker

I'm in Spokane, WA and the water temps are just getting to 60 degrees. Smallmouth's are spawning and largemouth are pre-spawn.

I haven't been out fishing in 8 days and I'm getting the shakes. Got two tournaments this weekend to make up for it.
Old 06-23-08, 10:12 PM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

At a local reservoir south of us about 45 minutes, the water temps were in the low 70's. Mid 70's in Lake Mudson... er... I mean Hudson last time we were there, but the water warms faster in the middy water. We were still ice fishing MARCH this winter. I've never, in all my life, Ice fished in MARCH. my dad said it'd been a long time since he has too.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.