Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-02-12, 02:54 PM   #1
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs down Miserable Day on the Water!

Day ended after two cast! Hot sunny day temps in the upper 80s got all baited up with a shakey head worm first cast line hit the water and didnt sink i knew i was on to something went to the set the hook and missed the set. 2nd cast same thing hit the water and didnt sink i set the hook and reel snapped completely off the rod!! Being on a low budget income looks like im gonna be not fishing for a bit now here we go. I have a shimano casting rod and Graphite IM6 spinning rod. Should i got with a bait caster reel or go with another spinning reel that is metal and not plastic!?
Mac Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 03:01 PM   #2
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'd say save up for a quality rod/reel combo and get something good. Use the search feature and see about previous posts on quality combo's for less $. There are plenty of good products out there......
Old 05-02-12, 08:09 PM   #3
MIbasser

I agree with 3d on this one. Save your pennies and get a higher quality rod and reel. Look on ebay for these deals as well. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 09:13 PM   #4
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default gear will come

Mac Lovin it happens and no you can catch fish with what you have. I love my bait casters! When I started back fishing I had all Pflueger spinning reels with Berkley cherry wood rods $20. No one could tell me why a baitcaster was a better reel they just kept telling me they were better…..also they couldn’t explain why I had to get a right handed reel when I fished with the handle on my left side. I could whip that bait with my cherry woods and could tether the line very well to get my bait where I wanted it. It wasn’t until I saw an angler pitchin that I thought hmmmm I can’t do that with my spinning reel. I had a client give me my first baitcaster Pflueger…..feel in love the first week. All I could think is what am I going to do with these 12 Pflueger spinning reels. Well it took me going down to Florida to remember that the spinning reel is alright. I still prefer my baitcasters but that’s because as my name says I crank….a lot and I prefer a baitcaster for that technique. Another point when I got a decent supply of Pflueger baitcasters of eBay I still grabbed all Berkley cherry woods! A lot of guys said I was crazy and everything but I was on a three kids getting ready to go to college…just bought a new house budget…get me. But I can say this never had a cherry wood brake and it was a cheap good rod to learn on. Only bad point was I was using braid and braid will cut though the tip of the rod because the guides don’t have ceramic lining. Fixed this with new tips I got from Jans netcraft that had ceramic guides. All this to simple say you can do it with what you have until you can move up. Is there better gear for what you are trying to do?......of course…there will always be better…..but until you’re a pro and can always get top gear or are financially secure and can buy whatever you want….just do it! caught these on cherry wood rod. nothing special just saying you can catch bass on a budjet.... $40 reel from ebay and $20 rod from Walmart

Last edited by Crankbait; 05-02-12 at 09:24 PM.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 09:43 PM   #5
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Mac, if it would help I can send you a rod and reel to use until you get what you want. Shane
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 11:25 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would bet that nothing sours a persons interrest in fishing any faster than cheep tackle that fails to perform. Save up for a good combo. Thats my advice. And I might add, thats a great thing your offering skeeter!
Old 05-03-12, 12:24 AM   #7
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

@ skeeter thanks man but you aint gotta do that, I dug out an old daiwa spinning reel and stuck it on the graphite IM6 rod and the took electrical tape and wrapped the part that connects to the rod so if it snaps like the other once atleast i can reel in still LOL funny thing is it balanced the rod and reel perfectly LOL

@ crank thanks man and awesome photos i need to come fish with u haha, I prefer to crank to honestly to me slow presentation and drop shot is boring but thats just me! LOL Walmart had pfluger bait caster reels today for $35 but they were all right handed retrieve, even though i am right handed ive always retrieve with left hand but i do think i could retrieve faster with my right hand but then to switch hands during a cast just doesnt make sense.

My birthday is coming up soon so already got a combo as #1 on my wish list haha

This is my first year really getting into freshwater fishing where i moved from was mainly coastal saltwater now im in the middle state of carolina. I have never used a bait caster but have used trolling reels.
Mac Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 12:31 AM   #8
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You really don't have to spend too much to get an alright setup. Some of the lower abu combo's at walmart seem pretty decent.

IMO, when you have very little gear, its really better to buy reasonable priced stuff and then slowly convert over to the fine tackle than be stuck with one really great rod and reel that only is effective for certain presentations. Don't go super cheap on the reels, $35 is very cheap for a baitcaster, but you can do alright around $50 or so. Wont last more than 2 years in good working order under average fishing conditions and use, but after 2 years you can move up the ladder and keep the old, semi worn out cheap real (say a pinnacle) as a backup.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed it, but it seems tackle has taken a several steps forward in just a few short years. So when you spend a lot on the newest thing, its like getting the highest power laptop out there. I like waiting for the price to come down.
Old 05-03-12, 09:07 AM   #9
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Lovin View Post
Walmart had pfluger bait caster reels today for $35 but they were all right handed retrieve, even though i am right handed ive always retrieve with left hand but i do think i could retrieve faster with my right hand but then to switch hands during a cast just doesnt make sense.
I thought the same thing before I switched over to baitcasters! I didn't want to buy a right handed retrieve because I've always reeled with my left using spinning gear even though I'm right handed. But when I use the baitcaster, It's no big deal to cast with your right hand and then switch hands. Now it feels natural! I would buy one of those Pflugers from the Walmart and give er a shot!
Mr.Bassmaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 01:07 PM   #10
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

crankbait looks in some of those pics, he is about to cut a mofo.. i couldnt keep a straight face with fish that big, though you probably see em more often than me
Old 05-11-12, 09:28 AM   #11
joedog

Default I found this very helpfull and if anyone knows reels, it's pro reel

I have heard several theorys through the years. I am not at all sure if any are correct or not. I think Bryce was mostly correct that when reels were invented, it just seemed natural that you would crank the reel with your dominant hand. You can hold a rod in either hand, but cranking one against resistence is easier with the dominant hand. The exception to that is with spinning reels. Spinning reels and casting reels are so different that you can't even compare them. When a reel hangs under the rod, the balance point is totaly different than when it's on top. For some reason that makes it very comfortable to crank it with the left hand. When the reel is on top of the rod, it just feels much more natural to most people to hold it with the left and crank with the right. Some say that it's just because you learned that way. I don't agree. I have taught lots of folks to fish that had no proir experience. Some of them decided to try both left and right. Most came to the same conclusion as I did, it just felt very awkward to use a lefty reel.
All that aside though, I have a little chuckle every time I see or hear this come up becuae most of the time it's the same old idea that a right handed person could cast a lefty reel with thier right hand and then the fact that they wouldn't have to change hands would make things better or they could make more casts in the same time period. That would be fine and dandy if and this is a big IF, if you kept holding the rod in the same exact positon that you hold it to cast. Think about it, with a spinning reel, your fingers wrap around the stem of the reel for casting and cranking, you always hold it in that same spot. Thats not what 99% of people do with a casting rod. Again, think about how you hold a casting rod during that cast, Your finger is wraped around the trigger with your thumb over the spool, Your hand is completly behind the reel. Now think about how you normally hold a reel to crank. Most will hold it further up or palm the reel. Some actually hold the foregrip with longer , tip heavy, rods. Also, think about the power it takes to set the hook, if your hand is behind the reel, you would almost have to move one hand up to the foregrip to get any leverage at all. So, what do most of the people do that have made the switch to using lefty reels, well, what I have seen is they do almost the same thing they would do with a right hand reel, They move the rod to the other hand that will crank it, then hold it with that hand while they move the right hand up further to palm the reel. Most don't even realize that they do this. It takes the same amount of time to do that and there is no benefit that i can see. I cast with my right and crank with my right. I switch hands during the cast as a part of the mechanics of the cast. My left hand is in positon to take the rod before the bait hits the water. the switch is effortless and i could easily set the hook as soon as the bait hits the water.

pro reel
View Public Profile
Send a private message to pro reel
Send email to pro reel
Visit pro reel's homepage!
Find More Posts by pro reel
Add pro reel to Your Contacts
Old 05-13-12, 12:18 PM   #12
Vudujoose
BassFishin.Com Member

While I don't advocate buying cheap rigs, I have a Shakespeare spin cast combo that I bought for $30, threw on some 15# mono (cheap) and I have been soft plastic fishing with it for 3 years now with no problems. It's a medium-light action 6 foot pole (I river fish so length is a big deal in the smaller creeks) with a single ball bearing reel. I also have a Quantum bait cast $200 rig that I bought specifically for running heavier spinners and cranks and to be honest, I couldn't tell you which one was the more quality combo...

Moral to the story: Quality is in craftsmanship not price. While the old saying holds true 90% of the time (You get what you pay for) there are good setups to have for less money.
Vudujoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.