Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-09-12, 05:57 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Cooking redfish. Suggestions

My wife and I are picking up a pound of redfish this comming saturday to try. I have no idea what kind of fish it compares as far as the type of flesh it has. Has anyone cooked and ate it before and what would you recommend? Baked, fried or grilled? Is it a mild or strong flavored fish. Flakey like cod or firm like mahi mahi? Thanks for your input!
Old 05-10-12, 08:37 AM   #2
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My wife and my father uses Zatarain's "fish fry". My wife cuts the red fish into 1inch strips, and half inch thick, and deep fry them babies. Enjoy!!
(On a side note, the wife and I are heading down to Cocodrie La May 19th to 25th to red fish and trout fish, it's at the end of hwy 56)

I think they are strong tasting fish, the wife thinks not strong at all. I no, I no, not much help there!! I for got, soak them overnight in salt water also. That helps take the strong taste out.

Last edited by bassfisher; 05-10-12 at 09:03 AM.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 12:56 PM   #3
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Bake in oven with old bay and lemon slices on top. Rolled in real butter first BTW.

Covered with foil to keep them tasty.

Capt Mike
Old 05-14-12, 06:52 PM   #4
keithdog

Ok, I tried the redfish the other night. Pan fried it using a coating our local store makes itself. I was suprised for a fish that was so firm when raw, it was hard to turn without it breaking up. But I did ok. It was good to eat. Right away, I thought it tasted similar to catfish, but milder. My wife thought the same exactly. I have one fillet to cook yet and I'm going to use a cajon batter and see how I like that. Thanks for the tips guys. I don't know if I will ever cook it again once this fillet is gone though. It's very expensive! Luckily, I have someone on the inside at the fish dept who sold it to me at cost, which was $11.99 per pound. I can buy a darn nice new york strip steak for that price. haha
Old 05-14-12, 08:14 PM   #5
bassboogieman

Do you like it Cajun style - Blackened Redfish? It's the only way I prepare it.

I do mine on a cast iron griddle in the gas grill. Butter the filets, coat with Cajun seasoning. Place cast iron griddle in the grill and turn on HIGH heat and get it good and hot. Depending on thickness of filets, it only takes a couple minutes on a side - makes a lot of smoke. Add a side of black beans & rice and tasty eating follows.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 04:07 PM   #6
WaffleJaw

I actually just had Redfish for the first time two weeks ago.....Man thats a really good eating fish!..This was blackened at a resturant though.
Makes me wanna take a trip to S.TX and go for redfish!
Old 05-19-12, 09:02 PM   #7
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Blackened. The fad that nearly wiped the poor fish out. Does anyone know who and why the fad started? It is delicious though.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 06:51 PM   #8
Captmikestarrett

Well the story is the Justin Wilson had an uncle who brought home a big red drum. Most cajuns just cooked it on the grill scales on and ate it that way. He took the fish and skinned it and rubed it down with a spice concoction made by his uncle Tony and cooked it real fast in a big skillet. Used real butter too.

Oh it was Tony Cachere for additional info.

Capt Mike
Old 05-21-12, 10:38 AM   #9
Dogmatic

Love the ol' man Wilson, but most of the credit goes to the big man himself, Paul Prud'homme, at his restaurant K-Paul's, somewhere around '83. Redfish, tended to have parasites, and the high heat of blackening had a tendency to "melt" them away, while maintaining the moisture of the filet. Anyway, he really started this craze, and every restaurant in the country was throwing it on their menus...well we all know what happened, sad we never learn and continue to do it to species after species...cod, fluke, Chilean seabass, yellow and bluefin tuna, the list goes on.
Old 05-21-12, 11:44 AM   #10
nofearengineer

I find the whole blackening thing kind of curious. Most chefs will tell you it is merely a way to cover up cheap meat. You could blacken some Alpo and hipsters would still gobble it up. (I don't know...maybe if I liked it, I'd be more supportive of it .)

As for the best way to prepare redfish, I prefer sauteed in butter, and served with a lemon-dill sauce.
Old 05-21-12, 08:00 PM   #11
Dogmatic

I like blackening meats more so than delicately flavored fish. I come from the philosophy, less is more, enhance natural flavors, don't overpower. I liked to know what I am eating, and what it taste like, otherwise what's the point(?).
Old 05-21-12, 09:06 PM   #12
Tavery5

I am sure you know the standing joke about buying yourself a cedar plank, then preparing the fish, throw the fish away,eat the plank. Don't know that I have ever eaten red fish, but I do like the flavor of blackend meats.

I like to grill fish, put a little onion, tomatoe, and garlic in the body wrap in foil with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and let it grill until done.
Old 05-21-12, 11:22 PM   #13
Dogmatic

I think back to fishing in the summer with my brother when I was little. We'd take our sleeping rolls, fishing stuff, a couple of old truck tubes, a fry pan, a plastic bag with seasoned flour, and some bacon. Hitch to the state line(10 miles or so), walk down to the R.R. tracks wait for the train, hop the train up river, then spend the weekend floating down and fishing. Nothing like fish with a dusting of s&p, flour, and simply fried in bacon grease over a wood fire.
Old 05-21-12, 11:28 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
I think back to fishing in the summer with my brother when I was little. We'd take our sleeping rolls, fishing stuff, a couple of old truck tubes, a fry pan, a plastic bag with seasoned flour, and some bacon. Hitch to the state line(10 miles or so), walk down to the R.R. tracks wait for the train, hop the train up river, then spend the weekend floating down and fishing. Nothing like fish with a dusting of s&p, flour, and simply fried in bacon grease over a wood fire.
LOL...these days if anyone found out kids were doing things like that, they'd be wards of the state faster than you can say "Child Protective Services."

Sounds like awesome fun. My brothers and I also did a lot of crazy, fun things we still don't tell Mom about.
Old 05-24-12, 08:51 AM   #15
Dogmatic

Times have changed...funny thing is, Mom knew where, and how we were going fishing, with no more than a "be careful", and be back for dinner on Sunday,(with seven kids, at least we weren't at home underfoot). LOL

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.