Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-30-12, 05:28 AM   #1
Hoosier
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Senko=Stickbait?

Is it true that the allmighty senko bait is just a stickbait. If this is the case does anyone use these with any luck. Im going through the massive amount of suggestions i got from my last posts to help improve my fishing abilities and wanted to know a. is this true, and b. do you guys have any luck with this.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-12, 06:14 AM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Go to Tacklewarehouse. Click soft plastics. Click soft stickbaits. Looking at that list I don't see any baits that pre-date Senko.
I've used lots of them. They are all similar. They all have slightly different fall rates and degrees of hardness/softness.
They all average between .35 and .60 per worm. Big Bite brand is usually the cheapest and I haven't noticed the fish prefering one over the other most days. TW doesn't sell Big Bite but Academy does.
If you want to have some fun and cut your cost per worm to less than .10 try this..............<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZmdMFGwK8KE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Re question #2 Yes. This whole "senko" thing is for real. Not a fad. There is something about the profile and action (or lack of) of this bait that works. Wacky rig one and toss it next to any vertical structure and as often as not they will hit it before it hits bottom or as soon as it does or on the first hop or two. If they're suspended, just twitch one over their head and hold on. Texas rig one and fish it in the slop or skip it under docks or inch it through a creek channel. Carolina rig one TR or wacky. They are very versatile and we are just beginning to get a feel for all the different ways to use them. Search the way Poche fished them at this years classic etc.........Buy um...throw um...love um

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 05-30-12 at 07:18 AM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-12, 04:54 PM   #3
DaveW731

[QUOTE=etc.........Buy um...throw um...love um[/QUOTE]
....and be ready to buy some more, as they are so soft that one good fish can destroy a bait. I like to have both Senkos and Yum Dingers. The YDs are a bit harder and lighter, so they do fish differently, but if the fish are not too particular, the YDs hold up about 4 times better than Senkos.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-12, 06:00 PM   #4
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

When fishing Lake Panasoffkee, a fairly stained/clear lake the bass eat them up. I like to fish them weightless, but have texas rigged them and been successful. They are for real.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-12, 07:40 PM   #5
Hoosier

Default water color

The lakes i typically fish are clear to about 3 feet then there fairly merky. Will the senko style work in this type of water. If so what would be the best way to rig in this type of water.
Old 05-30-12, 10:08 PM   #6
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
The lakes i typically fish are clear to about 3 feet then there fairly merky. Will the senko style work in this type of water. If so what would be the best way to rig in this type of water.
I think senkos trigger more of a sight-bite. Rig them however the cover dictates, I normally have a baitcaster rigged Texas and spinning outfit rigged wacky. "fairly murky" is hard to define, but if you want you might consider inserting a rattle.
Old 05-30-12, 10:13 PM   #7
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW731 View Post
....and be ready to buy some more, as they are so soft that one good fish can destroy a bait. I like to have both Senkos and Yum Dingers. The YDs are a bit harder and lighter, so they do fish differently, but if the fish are not too particular, the YDs hold up about 4 times better than Senkos.
Agreed..........that's why I recommend melting down all your used plastic and repouring, or better yet buy you some raw plastic and pour from scratch. Helpful tip #28 When a Texas rig "senko" gets tore on one end just rig from the other end, when both ends are ragged, save those for wacky style....tah-dah!
Old 05-30-12, 11:33 PM   #8
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I will have to say I agree with the above...senkos are not a fad they are legitimate baits. I am a fan of Lunker City's Slug-go as well; however, I have noticed in a weightless scenario if you keep the senko near the top of the water their action is almost identical to the slug-go. Which I find odd due to the difference of shape and density in the baits. After experimenting with this the other day (Monday) I did some searching and found they (lunker city) now offer a sinking slug-go, once I can get some in my tackle box I'm anxious to see if between the two you get the same "feel" of the action on the bottom, again in a weightless scenario. Also, bite response...

I, too, can vouch for the bite response you'll get. The main places I fish the tullies and lily pads cover 97% of the shoreline. If my frogs and poppers aren't working I'll T-rig (weightless) or wacky rig a senko and the bite picks up. Granted after this last tourny I participated in I'm sold on wacky rigging too, 6 of our 7 fish were caught this way.

Enough of my rambling...this is just based off my experience as well
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-12, 01:04 AM   #9
Hoosier

I think i will use these tactics this week and see how it works out hopefully i get some nice fish using this method im open to just about anything at this point.
Old 05-31-12, 01:30 AM   #10
joedog

USMCbassman I will have to say I agree with the above...senkos are not a fad they are legitimate baits. I am a fan of Lunker City's Slug-go as well; however, I have noticed in a weightless scenario if you keep the senko near the top of the water their action is almost identical to the slug-go. Which I find odd due to the difference of shape and density in the baits. After experimenting with this the other day (Monday) I did some searching and found they (lunker city) now offer a sinking slug-go

I think but not sure but the sinking slug-go was designed to mimic soft plastic jerkbaits like a fluke for example. The idea was to work the water column without weighting the slug-go which really hinders it's performance or so they say.
I am really curious Shane on what you think after trying. Used to fish slug-gos fairly often and for some reason they just fell out of the line up.
Old 05-31-12, 08:59 AM   #11
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
I think but not sure but the sinking slug-go was designed to mimic soft plastic jerkbaits like a fluke for example. The idea was to work the water column without weighting the slug-go which really hinders it's performance or so they say.
I am really curious Shane on what you think after trying. Used to fish slug-gos fairly often and for some reason they just fell out of the line up.
I agree that it hinders it performance...to a certain extent. I'm not a physics guy, but in my thought process once the weight slides back down the line and hits the "nose" of the slug-go it seems that it would limit the movement you get out of the bait vice the way it is designed to move.

I picture it as that one seen in 300 where that kid backs himself into a "V" shaped crack into the mountain side and the wolf only has one angle to attack from. Now translate that into slug-go and weight: the weight being the crevice and the slug-go being the kid; after he moves so far back into that "V" or for this purpose, once the weight is sitting on the nose, he/it only has a little (if any) room to move naturally or as the bait was designed to move. I hope that makes sense. It's early and I haven't had my coffee yet
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-12, 03:59 PM   #12
DaveW731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I fish Senkos in a lake that is the color of coffee with cream, visibility less than 1' and still get bit. It seems like wacky works better than T-rig, but both are weightless and I twitch them both pretty actively to move as much water as I can. Rattles seem to help a bit, but color seemed to matter more: dark green/chartreuse tail, June bug/metal flake seemed to be the tickets.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.