Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-09, 08:45 PM   #1
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Angry Gaaahhhhhh!!!

I went fishing today at my local pond and the fishing sucked.... i fished for almost two hours and didnt catch crap..... i threw a spinnerbait really slow and killed it after every couple cranks but that didnt work... im thinkin b/c the water was too cold and the fish were shut down.... then i threw a shallow crankbait but it was too shallow and i was pulling up crap.... so then i threw a texas rig for the rest of the time ( small weight with a zoom finesse worm that was junebug)..... i got the same fish to peck at it with two back to back cast but it couldnt get it in its mouth... so thats how the day was

the water temp was probably 47 or right around there.... the water was warmer two days ago (Sat) but on sunday the water got colder and it was realy windy so the water temp droppped...... the water clarity was about 2 feet...... um there was a slight breeze

i have always had success at this pond and it is a chain of ponds but i have always caught fish there on a wacky rig and recently i have been struggling but have caught some fish on texas rig... so is the fish getting harder just because of the water temps or am i doing something wrong....

ps: i have caught fish here for years but i usuall go with my friends and they only want to go when its warm but now that im really getting mega adicted i need something to keep me calm between tournaments

pps: please post what you think i should throw with whatever else you want to say

thanks for all the help
Old 02-23-09, 08:48 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

In cold water, I throw a weightless super fluke, or on a weighted hook. Also, a jerkbait works great. Lots of different brand suspending jerkbaits. When the water warms a bit more, or maybe for you, its good now, try an X-rap. It's got a bit more of an aggressive action than a normal jerkbait. Also try a jig, crawled very slowly on the bottom.

BB
Old 02-23-09, 08:56 PM   #3
aikenyounggun

i thought about throwing a jerkbait but i didnt feel like taking the chance of losing one down at the pond.... i will try the fluke the next time i go.... probably wednesady or thurssay
Old 02-23-09, 09:09 PM   #4
chase_cooley5308
BassFishin.Com Member

thats to bad aiken. Sounds like the weather has been the same way as its been down here in south Ms. Just keep chunkin and windin you'll get somethin to bite eventually. The bite has been tough for me as well so i know how you feel!
chase_cooley5308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 09:11 PM   #5
Bassboss

Try a shaky head! Very light line, and a spinning rod. Use it, as the name suggests, shake it lightly, and pop it a few inches every 30 seconds or so. Use a floating worm and a light jig head, say 3/16 oz.

Also try a drop shot, look at this video for tips!

http://www.bassfishin.com/video-tips/drop-shot-rig/

Good luck! Hope you can hold up till spring!
Old 02-23-09, 09:30 PM   #6
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Try a small jig 1/8oz something like a bitsy bug with a small chunk and fish it very slow. Try to fish around deeper water if you can.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 09:44 PM   #7
WTL

Try....

..again, tomorrow.
Old 02-23-09, 09:44 PM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_cooley5308 View Post
thats to bad aiken. Sounds like the weather has been the same way as its been down here in south Ms. Just keep chunkin and windin you'll get somethin to bite eventually. The bite has been tough for me as well so i know how you feel!
Another 601 - We're takin' over. I hear ya AYG. I went Sat for about 4 hours. I got 2 pecks on a black/blue glitter baby brush hog. The water looked like a jar Peter Pan. I really tried to break the area down and probably didn't get 200 yards from where I put it. I reckon I should have went a little further, because it was SSLLOOWW. I see we have some highs in the low-mid 70s, with lows in the mid 50s coming up though for about 4 days.
Old 02-23-09, 10:12 PM   #9
Bassboss

One thing I learned on hear (from Kevin...... CCbass) Is that bass with look for clear water, try to find clear water and you'll probably find that bass.

YES! I'm now a "BassFishin.Com Veteran Member" Woo hoo!!

My 500th post!

To be honest, I was kinda secretly competing agents you to become a "BassFishin.Com Veteran Member"!

Last edited by Bassboss; 02-24-09 at 12:52 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 12:22 AM   #10
Bender

I was going to suggest the same thing as Abu, try to find a little deeper water. If your shallow diver was digging bottom then it must be pretty shallow. It seems that bass tend to pull out a little deeper when there there is a temperature drop.

I'm not good at fishing cold water yet, but I have been getting a lot of practice over the last couple years and what seems to work best is a suspending jerkbait like a Rogue or LC Pointer 100. They key is to fish it SLOW. Crank it down and let it sit for up to 30-60 seconds. Then a few jerks and repeat. The jerks is what you have to figure out what they want, try a few light ones just moving the rod tip a couple inches 3-4 times and wait. If nothing after a few casts try a more long sweeping motion of the rod. If still nothing try in between. Also when retrieving it try to never make a pattern, be erratic. 1 twich, 4, then 3, then 3, 1, 2, etc. I hope that helps, it seems to work well up here.

On top of that try deadsticking a Senko type worm or shaky head, or a black Bitsy Bug jig just like Abu said again. And I know it is not conventional, but give a popR a try. Work it on top about the same as that jerkbait with the long pauses.
Last thing, you might spend more time on the sunny side of the lake. Usually the north shore gets more sun and water warms up quicker.

Sorry about rambling on, hopefully it helps though.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 10:08 PM   #11
aikenyounggun

yeah bassboss i am the master at shaky head but the pond it too shallow.... i won my local tournament club AOY last year on the shaky head.... 12 tournaments most fish on the Buckeye Spot Remover.... i have also tried the small jig with no luck yet but im going to try it again
Old 02-24-09, 10:13 PM   #12
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
yeah bassboss i am the master at shaky head but the pond it too shallow.... i won my local tournament club AOY last year on the shaky head.... 12 tournaments most fish on the Buckeye Spot Remover.... i have also tried the small jig with no luck yet but im going to try it again
Cool! I would try it any way. They used to think that the drop shot was a deep water tactic.... just go to show how things can change!

btw Is see you a veteran member as well, congratulations
Old 02-25-09, 10:06 AM   #13
Bassboss

Good luck on your tourney this weekend!
Old 02-25-09, 12:09 PM   #14
Bob Smith

Now, I am going to ask something that doesn't happen too often.. AYG, I would like to see you go back and "modify" your original post and replace "sucks" with the word "bad" and "Crap" with the word "nothing" and see if it reads a little better. I find it kind of troubling to see such fine young folks throwing street language around when I know they know better.

As far the subject, matter...? I agree with WTL, try it again tomorrow. It sounds like you were doing the right things on a bad day.
Old 02-25-09, 03:07 PM   #15
aikenyounggun

yes sir.... i jsut cant figure out how to change it.... i thinks it has to be within an hour..... so the fishing was crap

going thursday probably

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.