Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 10-21-12, 12:09 PM   #1
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thumbs up Kistler Rods Customer Service Report

I would like to share an experience I had recently with the people at Kistler Rods.

A couple of weeks ago Kistler's website was offering a "buy 1 get 1 free" promotion on their Micro Magnesium TS Fishing Rods, which retailed for $199. I've been looking for a couple of technique specific rods: 6'6'' medium/mod-fast, composite, topwater/cranking rod with micro guides, and a 6'9" medium heavy/fast, spinnerbait rod with micro guides. So, I placed my "buy 1 get 1 free" order with them.

Here is where it gets interesting. The following day I receive an email from Kistler stating that those two Micro Magnesium rod models were currently "out of stock." And then, I was asked if I wanted to continue with my order by making a rod substitution.

After viewing the remaining Micro Magnesium TS rods, I sent them a reply back, stating that none of the remaining Micro Magnesium rods would suite my technique specific needs.

I then asked if they could substitute a set of the Micro Helium LTA Fishing Rod of the same technique specifics that I was looking for. keep in mind the Micro Helium LTA Fishing Rods retail for $249.

The following day the people at Kistler replied back saying the would substitute the Micro Magnesium rods for the Micro Helium rods at the same "buy 1 at get 1 free" offer and that the Helium rods retail for $249 plus shipping. Well done, Kistler!

The rods have already arrived. And I would like to compliment Kistler's shipping department with their use of 2" PVC tubing for a shipping container.. well done again.

Overall, I am very well pleased with Kistler's customer service and am very well please with the construction and feel of these new rods.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 02:15 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That's awesome Mark. You got some really good rods and had a good experience, and good customer service experiences are getting hard to come by. Thanks for posting, I think it is important to share positive experiences like this just as much as bad experiences.
Old 10-21-12, 03:10 PM   #3
bassboogieman

Wow, I haven't heard ANYONE compliment Kister on their customer service in a LONG time. I am glad to hear that you got treated appropriately, if not well. Is it possible the light bulb has gone on for them, down there in Texas? I really hope so and that they can regain some of the reputation that has been SEVERELY tarnished over the last 3 years. I am not bashing Kistler, as I've been a satisified customer, using their rods (exclusively) for about 10 years, I'm just happy to hear that you had a good experience, and hopefully that continues.

As one who has gone though " The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" with Kistler over the last decade (and still with them) this is some good, actually welcome, news. I hope you have good luck with the rods and that they serve you a long time.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 06:43 PM   #4
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
That's awesome Mark. You got some really good rods and had a good experience, and good customer service experiences are getting hard to come by. Thanks for posting, I think it is important to share positive experiences like this just as much as bad experiences.
Thanks Kory.. it felt really good when I got their confirmation reply back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Wow, I haven't heard ANYONE compliment Kister on their customer service in a LONG time. I am glad to hear that you got treated appropriately, if not well. Is it possible the light bulb has gone on for them, down there in Texas? I really hope so and that they can regain some of the reputation that has been SEVERELY tarnished over the last 3 years. I am not bashing Kistler, as I've been a satisified customer, using their rods (exclusively) for about 10 years, I'm just happy to hear that you had a good experience, and hopefully that continues.

As one who has gone though " The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" with Kistler over the last decade (and still with them) this is some good, actually welcome, news. I hope you have good luck with the rods and that they serve you a long time.
Thanks Bruce.. I have a feeling these rods are gonna serve me very well.

-Mark
Old 10-21-12, 07:25 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

WOW!!!! that says a LOT for them mark. congrats. now post pics of em, perferably with oyu holding a hawg off of em.
Old 10-21-12, 07:27 PM   #6
kennethdaysale

Is Kistler one of those rods that has changed hands after establishing themselves and then had issues or one of those brands that shifted production oversees followed by quality problems (think Fenwick) or are they the same now as they were from the beginning. Where would yall put there rods in relation to St Croix ? or Loomis? Thinking about expanding a little bit over the winter and wouldn't mind some input to chew on in the name of due diligence.
Old 10-21-12, 11:10 PM   #7
aikenyounggun

I know Kistler now has the production in China and had some quality issues for a while, or maybe just not as good as they used to be.

I'm pretty sure the very top of the line (z-bone maybe?) are still made in the US, but that might just be for the pro-staff.

I have never owned one, but heard a little bit about Kistler when fishing with somebody recently.
Old 10-22-12, 01:21 AM   #8
bassboogieman

Quote:
Is Kistler one of those rods that shifted production oversees followed by quality problems
Yes, shipped production to China for all the "off the rack" rods, when the Z-bone (semi-custom) became the focus in 2009. There were several issues with the rod blanks in the first couple years after transition to China, I believe they went through 3 different suppliers for the LTA blank between '09 & '10 which accounts for the quality issues, the LTA's are definitely different (even in the same vintage year) due to the blanks being changed so often. As for the other rods, I didn't pay a lot of attention as my focus was on the LTA, until I made the change over to the LTX in an effort to get a CONSISTANT set of rods.

Quote:
are they the same now as they were from the beginning.
In my opinion as a 10 year user? Sorry Woody, but no way are they as good as the USA made rods (pre-2009), and I think the price is way too high for what the rod is now. BUT - Woody's getting a two-fer is a decent deal that puts the rod at a price point more appropriate to the rod - again that is my opinion, and I would not purchase them for my own use (at retail). I only say that as I know what the Kistler LTA WAS, and what it is now is but a shadow of the '07 and even the '08 (prime years) LTA.

The best rod Kistler ever produced (agian, yeah IMO) was the 2007 LTA, it's been my favorite of all the Kister rods I've used (and I am sorry I was unable to built a set of them) - and I've used them all with the exception of the Z-bone (no way I would pay the list for that rod) and the Carbon Steel (discontinued), which was an entry level rod and didn't appeal to me at all.

Quote:
Where would yall put there rods in relation to St Croix ? or Loomis?
First, I am not a Loomis (Shimano) fan, AT ALL, never was. I believe they (IMX & GLX) are good rods but WAY overpriced. St Croix would be one of my top two choices if I were buying rods today, and I mean the LTB rods. How to compare? As I said above, I would choose the '07 or '08 LTA or LTX over ANY rod produced at that time - actually I did choose them after trying comparable Loomis IMX and St. Croix Legends in production at that time which were comparable in price. That was then, we need to consider now.

Other brands have come along since '08 that would also have to be considered in comparision today - Dobbyn's would be one of mine, as would the St. Croix LTB (2013 models). Where would Kistler fit for me in consideration of new rods today? They would not make it to my top 3, so that means they would not be considered at all - if buying today. I have a locker full of Kistler rods, the only rod I have that isn't a Kistler is a custom Nelson rod - it's a beaut! - but the Kistler rods I have, you can't buy one today that is comparable unless you drop $400 on a Z-bone (and I'm only guessing it would be as good). I'm pretty sure the Z-bone would be a good rod (although overpriced) as the Nelson rod that Walker did for me is built on a North Forks Composite blank, the same blank Kistler uses on the Z-bone.

Final disclaimer - I'm not out to bash Kistler, I like the rods I have, but a specific question was asked and I gave my personal opinion based on my experience.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 10-22-12 at 01:54 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-12, 07:23 PM   #9
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
WOW!!!! that says a LOT for them mark. congrats. now post pics of em, perferably with oyu holding a hawg off of em.
Yes it does, John. And, I must admit the people at Kistler made my rod buying experience a real pleasure.. also, my new 6'6'' Micro Helium LTA medium/mod-fast crankbait composite glass/graphite rod is light as air and feels incredible!

This is one of the pics from the Kistler website.

And John, if you make it to Dale Hollow you are more than welcome to try it
out...and Bruce, that goes for you too...

-Mark

Last edited by woody; 10-22-12 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-22-12, 08:25 PM   #10
woody

Here are a couple more pics posted on TW, of the Micro Helium/Crankbait/Composite/Glass/Graphite/Medium 6'6" rod.

-Mark

Last edited by woody; 10-22-12 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-22-12, 09:07 PM   #11
rrw4258

I have to say that I am IMPRESSED with Kistler rods myself. I have been through every rod manufatuer (almost) known to man and I am sold on Kistler Rods. I have two Z Bone rods (7' MH and 7'3" MH) and 5 Helium LTA's (6'9 MH, 7'MH, 7 H, 7' Finesse Worm/Dropshot Special, and a 7'3" MH.)

I thought the Heliums were the most sensitive rods I have ever used...... until I fished my first Z-Bone! The Heliums are a damn nice rod, don't get me wrong but once you fish a Z-Bone there is no going back. You can feel every scratch on the bottom (more so than a GLX and a Dobyns Champion Extreme). I plan on changing all of my rods over to either Heliums or Z-Bones this winter.

Now a word on their customer service:

The Z-Bone rods come with a foam cover over the lock nut of the reel seat. On my first rod when I went to tighten the lock nut down the EVA foam piece ripped at the top part. I contacted them about this, and Lance at Kistler sent me half a dozen of these things to replace my broken one on the Z-Bone, but also 5 more for all of my Heliums!

I have to say I am extactic about their rods, and the customer service has been rockstar service to say the least. Keep it up Kistler!

Ryan
Old 10-22-12, 09:18 PM   #12
bassinbob

I have to agree with Bruce. The original LTA is a pleasure to use. Or in my case, was. It broke. I have a newer LTA and several other Kistler rods. I especially like Argon rod. If I ever come across a '97 7ft mh LTA I will buy it.
I've never delt with their customer service but it does sound as though they might be straightened out. Good luck with your new rods Mark.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.