Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-06-13, 10:09 PM   #1
Hoosier
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Looking for some 2nd year start up advice.

As some of you know i joined last year after i got serious about fishing. This being my first post winter-spring start up for my boat. What should I or do you do to get your boat ready for the beginning of the fishing season. Maintenance tips etc all advise is always appreciated.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-13, 10:11 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

FOG IT!!! check out EVERYTHING. really, i mean it. go from top to bottom, head to toe. hook up the ears and run it in oyur yard before you tek her out on the water. you DON'T want to be left floating out there and no way to get back to the dock. don't ask how i know.....lol!
Old 03-06-13, 10:12 PM   #3
Hoosier

Do i need to replace all fluids its a 2 stroke so oil isnt really an option but should i just go ahead and replace my gear oil and plugs just give it a complete run through.
Old 03-07-13, 06:29 AM   #4
F16 1UB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Do i need to replace all fluids its a 2 stroke so oil isnt really an option but should i just go ahead and replace my gear oil and plugs just give it a complete run through.
This should have been done prior to winter storage due to possibly having water in the lower unit causing it to freeze/crack. If the grease looks like coffee with cream your seals are shot and need replaced. And if this is the case you might as well change your water pump.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 02:25 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

f16 hit it with a SLEDGE HAMMA!!! so yes, i would replace ALL fluids and check the seals REAL GOOD.
Old 03-07-13, 08:39 PM   #6
bassfisher

To add to the above post, check battery distilled water levels, top them off as needed, check the voltage of your batteries to make sure they can be charged, (Anything below 50% charge you might have to replace them) then charge all your batteries, change your wheel bearing grease. (I use a flathead screwdriver, lots of papertowels and dig out the old grease and put in new) If the grease has a milky color to it, you might need new wheel bearing seals. Check your Troll motor to make sure it runs. Check all your pumps. (bilge, and live wells) Check the trailer wiring, and boat lights. Also check your steering, making sure it works. I think that's about it sir. You should be ready for another great year of fishing!!
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 09:38 PM   #7
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It is pretty simple hook up the muffs run the engine. Check the battery levels and fill with distilled water so all plates are submerged. Do not overfill.

Turn the wheel to make sure steering works.

Now turn off engine and water. Make sure engine is tilted down and watch for any oil in prop area.

If so you need to check lower unit oil and most likely replace it. Also pull the prop and check for fishing line under it. Grease shaft on reinstall.

So everything looks good and it is now time for a shakedown.
Before I attempt a first fishing trip I set a day aside for shakedown. Test everything while on the water and fix it that day. Clean it another day.

Capt Mike
Old 03-07-13, 09:59 PM   #8
Hoosier

All tips are noted and since its going to b 65 Saturday I'll be going through my boat on friday .

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.