Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 04-10-15, 04:53 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Potomac River April 6th

Got out for a club midweek, yes it was a Monday, and we ran to fish a little grass bed near a spawning area in Capt. Mike's favorite creek. Found the grass but not the spawners. Only picked up one grey and white keeper out of the grass on a Hardcore Drum. Nice fish for around 3lbs. Not bad start and plenty of time to fish. Ran across the creek to another spawning location to see what was happening with the spatterdock and other pads and grasses. It's emerging but just isn't there yet. Did snag a .75lb crappie in 1-2" of water on the same Drum. Idled to some wood and bingo hit a fat 3lb keeper on a custom spinnerbait that I had made this winter. It's based on a 1980"s version of firetiger that was made for a bunch of BASS pros who fished the river back then. I guess it still works. Hit that shoreline for a little while and nothing. Made a run down river to check some stuff out. Nothing. Ran across the river to check some more stuff out. Nothing. Ran back to Mike's creek and hit same grass we started in. Nothing. Went back to the wood I caught the second keeper. Nothing. So we made a short run to Smallwood to hit a little grass area and worked the shoreline a ways. Nothing. Getting frustrated I turned and toss the Drum out the opposite direction and pulled up a bunch of grass. I comment to the Major that I'd found some nice grass and on the next cast I hook up with keeper #3 of the day but was a little lighter than the first two at 2.5lbs. Not bad. Two fish from a limit. Maybe there's a few more in this grassbed???? Nope............. One last run to a main river rocky point to see if any are schooled and noooooooo! Our day is done. The Major catches one short fish and my three keepers. Not the best day but we were fishing Can't complain. Head in to weigh in and it turns out most had a tough day with only a couple keepers here and there. 1st place had 3 for over 10lbs. I had three for under 9lbs. and 3rd had two for 5 lbs. It's still early but I was happy to get out.

Oh and it's good to see that the usual cast of characters are still around!!! I've been away and busy but I'm back.
Old 04-10-15, 09:38 PM   #2
Captmikestarrett

Next time fish the docks at NOS on the south side of Mattawomen. Ticket is a power worm in the out going tide up against stacked up wood deep in the pilings. If you hit the 10 foot area you will see all the old trees stacked up on the creek side.. good for four good fish on out going.

Capt Mike
Old 04-27-15, 09:26 PM   #3
3dkicker

Grass bed in Occoquan produces on the 26th. Gold traps won the tournament with 15+ lbs.....but not me. I found 2 keepers each day. Good fish. Went old school with the Zoom 6" GP lizard. Water temps in the low to mid 50's on Sunday. Finally got up to 63 and the fish turned on. Too bad the tournament ended.....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.