Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-27-06, 06:22 AM   #1
ChuckE
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Organizing Plastics

I use a lot of plastics, and keeping them organized had gotten to be a big problem over the years. I've tried binders, ziplok bags, trays, etc. in the past, but I had so many that things had gotten out of control and finding them in the boat really became difficult. Gradually over time I just decided to keep them in their original bags because they seemed to store better and not take up as much room.

The local Walmart had a sale on soft sided coolers last year for $3.29-- they're the size that holds a 6 pack of soda. They came in 8 different colors and have a zipper top, so for about $25 I got one of each. The majority of the original bags that plastics come in fit just right in a cooler, and the coolers themselves can be stacked or put side-by-side in one of my boat lockers. The coolers also have a small mesh pocket for hooks, sinkers, jig heads, and other terminal tackle to fit in.

So, now I have a cooler bag for tubes, creatures, Senko/stickbaits, grubs, worms, flukes/minnows/swimbaits, jigs and trailers, and finessee baits (beavers/small worms). [About 80% of the time I fish with plastics.] The coolers worked quite well last year, and it's easy to pull the bags out and store them, or move things around when I switch between boats (Nitro Bass Boat or Ranger Walleye Boat). I started off with a tag on each cooler to identify what it contained, but over time learned that red had tubes, black had worms, etc. and it's gotten so much easier!

Chuck
ChuckE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 08:29 AM   #2
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

Great Idea!!! and thanks for sharing. One possible advantage to using the coolers may well be in keeping the plastics a little cooler in hot weather as well......in that they may keep some of the morning coolness stored inside.....not like my plastic boxes exposed to the sun. I currently carry 8 plastic boxes, but may well be switching over as the season progresses.....great idea, thanks.....and good fishing, Mac

Another advantage to packaging your lures in the cooler bags is that they are flexible and can be stuffed under seats on smaller boats and won't shift about.
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 12:14 PM   #3
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Chuck, I like your idea.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 08:03 PM   #4
bassboogieman

I use the clear plastic shoe boxes, they hold about 25 bags. They stack well in the lockers, and they take labels well and you can see what's in them too. I also use the worm bags, for the baits I use most often, but the extras are kept in the shoe boxes. They are about the same length as a Plano 3700 box, so they mix well with them also.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 08:15 PM   #5
bass kicker

that is a good idea chuck and boogie man
Old 03-27-06, 08:15 PM   #6
bass kicker

if i had more room in my boat i would do that
Old 03-27-06, 08:17 PM   #7
flfireman

My tacklebox has the binder system built into the side, and I carry 4-5 3700's w/ the others. This way if limited to what I can carry, I have a pretty good selection in the binders. Also to save room, I put matching colors in the same binder(worms,lizards,creature).
Old 03-27-06, 08:21 PM   #8
bass kicker

what tackle box do you have
Old 03-27-06, 08:59 PM   #9
Jive Turkey
BassFishin.Com Member

Hahaha. I found the same thing at a Walmart also, in the fall when the aisles were full of soon to be out of season camping stuff. I bought a few and use them for SP also. I like that they have straps for carrying. I have had them bounce out of the boat also, good thing they float.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.