Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-07, 04:37 AM   #1
Guttboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Guttboy
Default Flyrod/Rebbasser/Guttboy fishing adventure (take 2)...

Hi Gents,

Unfortunately, Rebbasser will not be able to make it but I am departing the fix here in 15 min to go fishin' with Flyrod! Going to the electrics only lake about 45 miles from my house. Cant wait!

Flyrod is bringing artery cloggers and I'm bringing my lil boat! Wish us luck!

Mike
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-07, 10:02 AM   #2
JRL
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Good Luck! I fish an elec. only lake all the time. Only disadvantage is the water clarity.
Old 07-22-07, 07:55 PM   #3
Guttboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Well got home 3 hours ago and put the boat up and the trolling motor battery on charge. Then proceded to mow my jungle of a lawn due to the rain we have been having. Only then did I enjoy a COLD shower as I was overheating from the fishing and the lawn work.

So..........

OUTSTANDING TRIP! Flyrod is a hoot to fish with! The tally was 17 total bass with 4 or 5 keepers. Flyrod also landed a GIGANTICAL bream!!! (not included in total). He bagged 14 of em and I bagged 3. Had quite a few hits but couple at the boat spit the hook/hooks. I had several OOPS MADGE's and came up with nothing. In retrospect I have a funny feeling what happened...I was fishing braid (for the first time) and had a medium heavy rod. I was setting the hook like I used to when I fished mono. I think that might have had a little bit to do with it....or I just plain stink...LOL.

I am absolutely exhausted so I may post some more on the trip a bit later....need dinner, cold water, and some air conditioning!

Great Trip FlyRod!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had a ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for going....will post pics/email them to you later tonight or this week!!!

Regards,

Old 07-22-07, 07:58 PM   #4
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Sounds like a great trip! Any pics?
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 12:40 PM   #5
FlyRod

It was, indeed, a pleasant and rewarding experience, for we spoke of many thing; Shoes, Ships, Sealing Wax, of Cabbages and Kings.
So soon as my new friend gets his already-present skills re-tuned and refines and balances his gear, he will be the equal of any of us.
Frankly, the disparity in numbers was not attributable to shortcomings on Guttboy's part. I truly believe that the Boerne (ber-knee) City Lake bass were just playing tricks on the new kid. They do that, y'know. What success I enjoyed was due, perhaps, to slower reactions induced by sleep deprivation.
On a related note (perhaps a B-Flat), you "scumfroggers" would have thought you'd died and gone to Heaven had you seen the last third(?) of the feeder creek. It is totally covered with bits of bark, leaves, and other flotsam and there must be myriad specimens of Micropterus Salmoides alurk below the effluvia. I can only hope that same condition obtains when I again fish that lake. Can you say "SPRO Frog"?
Guttster, thanks for a great day on the water.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 01:06 PM   #6
wargoth

Guttboy, you may be right about the braid thing, took me awhile to get used to not yanking the fishes' skeletons out of them through their mouths mysself. Now, I have just the opposite issue if I happen to be fishing mono on a rod, I forget how much harder I have to set the hook... Ah well, eventually I will get all my reels strung with braid, and not have to switch back and forth.
Old 07-23-07, 05:46 PM   #7
FlyRod

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargoth View Post
Guttboy, you may be right about the braid thing, took me awhile to get used to not yanking the fishes' skeletons out of them through their mouths mysself. Now, I have just the opposite issue if I happen to be fishing mono on a rod, I forget how much harder I have to set the hook... Ah well, eventually I will get all my reels strung with braid, and not have to switch back and forth.
Wargie,

WHY wouldst thou fill ALL thy mechanical line-recovery devices with braid?
I should think that mono and/or a fluoro-coated mono, ala P-Line FloroClear, might be of much benefit in certain applications.
Please, I'd like to know more re what prompts this approach. I may glean useful knowledge via your reasoning.

Thanks in advance,

FR
Old 07-23-07, 05:51 PM   #8
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Flyboy, being as I rig all set ups for bass and saltwater inshore fishing with braid, I do believe i'm a canidate to answer, in addition to Wargoths too ofcourse. I prefur to rig all set ups with braid because of a few reasons... Why not? Braid is sensitive, strong, and easy to work with... mono is annoying, has a lot of stretch, and breaks a lot easier. Being the only reason I can think of not to fish with braid is the fact of line visibility, but all knowing I am not a believer in such makes that aspect irrelevant, in addition to the fact that the water I fish isnt clear, or has only 3-4' of visibility at most. So I cannot think of a reason why not to just use braids, because it does everything better than mono/flouro, IMHO.
Old 07-23-07, 05:55 PM   #9
bassfisher02

Little addition to my stated post... ONE other reason I can think of a time not to use braid is when fishing topwater, since braid sinks, and it is critical to have a floating line while topwater fishing. But while topwater fishing I use bigger baits, such as jitterbugs and large pop'rs, where they ahve enough bouyancy on their own to be not effected by the line sinking. I also use buzzbaits, but line bouyancy has almost no effect on them, since they are in constant motion.
Old 07-23-07, 08:30 PM   #10
Guttboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Twas' fun FR!!!!

Absolutely exhausted today....been swamped at work. When I got home I passed out on the couch! I will post up the pics (with FR's permission of course) sometime tomorrow.

Regards,

Old 07-23-07, 09:49 PM   #11
wargoth

Mono, simply put, just annoys the hell out of me FlyGuy. The only advantages I have found to mono are cost, and visibility, neither of which are any issue to me. In all ways that matter to me, braid is infinitely superior. So, with that said, why not run braid on everything?
Old 07-24-07, 11:27 AM   #12
FlyRod

Quote:
Mono, simply put, just annoys the hell out of me FlyGuy. The only advantages I have found to mono are cost, and visibility, neither of which are any issue to me. In all ways that matter to me, braid is infinitely superior. So, with that said, why not run braid on everything?
Wargster,

You haven't seen some of our Texas Highlands Lakes. They can be so clear at times that one is tempted to add a dash of vermouth and an olive....Mmmmmm....'Tinis!
I and many of my fellow anglists (NEW WORD! NEW WORD!!!) believe that invisibility is a virtue for slow presentations, to include wurmz, jigs, Senko/Tikis, etc.
I also find that braid catches the breeze more than a mono of similar diameter. Since we are often confronted with cross-breezes we need to minimize "bowing", hence the use of mono for topwater and flouro (Better yet, FloroClear by P-line,) for lipless cranks, cranks, and some VERY FEW slow presentations.
I DO use braid exclusively for toads, buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbaits, and spinnerbaits since the lure travel is so rapid as to make line visibility a non-issue. And, as many times stated, for "soft plastic and slow" it's braid with a pure fluoro leader (P-Line CFX.) This usually includes dropshotting.
Not trying to change your mind here. Just explaining MY "whys and wherefores".

Be safe.

FR
Old 07-24-07, 03:03 PM   #13
wargoth

Like I've said before, if I ever find mysself in an area where I feel that visibilty were and issue, then I would probably run a Fluoro leader, but seeing as the clearest of waters I fish only have a foot or two of visibility MAX, I see no real reason to bother. I also rarely see fish being spooked by the line, in fact, I often see them trying to attack it more than anything. Meanwhile, it sounds like I need to take a trip to TX... While the Walleye and Yellow Perch fishing up here are some of the best in the world, the bassing leaves a tad bit to be desired.
Old 07-24-07, 08:09 PM   #14
Guttboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry about taking a bit to get the photos up...but it has been hectic at work and I have had precious little time to upload em. Here is a picture of the debris that Flyrod was mentioning. The bark, sticks, leaves, etc was sooo thick that the frog I tossed would just kinda walk across the top of the stuff.

This was a picture of one of the ones that I caught. A pretty lil bass!

Regards,

Mike
Old 07-25-07, 03:36 AM   #15
FlyRod

So, where's the pic of my monster "brim"

FR
Old 07-25-07, 03:42 AM   #16
FlyRod

Quote:
Like I've said before, if I ever find mysself in an area where I feel that visibilty were and issue, then I would probably run a Fluoro leader, but seeing as the clearest of waters I fish only have a foot or two of visibility MAX, I see no real reason to bother. I also rarely see fish being spooked by the line, in fact, I often see them trying to attack it more than anything. Meanwhile, it sounds like I need to take a trip to TX... While the Walleye and Yellow Perch fishing up here are some of the best in the world, the bassing leaves a tad bit to be desired.
Well, gas up the ytruck, hitch up the boat, and come on dowwwwwwnnnnnnnn!
You will be cordially welcokmed.

FR
Old 07-25-07, 10:17 AM   #17
wargoth

Wow, FryGod, that is more typos than I have ever seen you make, you feeling OK?
Old 07-25-07, 12:07 PM   #18
bassfisher02

Either its well passed his bed time, or he has been nippin in the adult beverages... maybe both.
Old 07-25-07, 01:00 PM   #19
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

umm both is my guess..

zooker
Old 07-25-07, 03:48 PM   #20
FlyRod

Red face

Coiuldn't find my "keyboard glasses" and my regular presrcrips are in the vehicle.
Won't go back and edit...it'd spoil the fun.

FR

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.