Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-06, 06:52 AM   #1
bereta1
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Curado 100d reel

Has anyone noticed any backplay with the handle gear assembly? When I thumb the spool I detect a bit of back and forth movement with the handle. It isn't solid like the older ones. I wonder if it has anything to do with the new backup pawl that has been added to the super-stopper bearing? TKU
bereta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 08:46 AM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thats why they installed a back up anti reverse assist on them. The back play is because your roller (anti reverse)bearing isn't working properly.They fail because of excess fluid in the bearing.I have always found it best with any reel, to leave the roller bearings dry, never apply grease , or oil to them.I hope this helps. They did have a recall on the line pawl system , but this has nothing to do with the back play in the handle.Make sure when you remove the excess oil from the bearing , not to add any type of foriegn material that will cause problems.Qtips could leave fibers in the roller bearing, best to remove the inner race bushing and wipe it dry and let the bearing sit on top of a paper towel so the excess oil can bleed off onto the paper towel maybe speed it up by giving it a blast with a dust remover air canister. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 09:12 AM   #3
bereta1
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the reply . Ihave two of the older Curados and ther isnt any backward movement at all. Is it ok to use something to get the oil out of the stopper bearing ? I have no idea of how to take it apart. The 100D is brand new but I hate that tiny bit of backplay. What about brake cleaner in a spray for cleaning the stopper bearing? TKU

Last edited by bereta1; 06-14-06 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-14-06, 09:28 AM   #4
pig n jig

If its brand new, either take it back and exchange it, or fish it.It most likely was over lubed from the factory, the more you fish it, the greater the chance of the oil will work out of the roller bearing, allowing it to function properly.I hope this helps. P N J
Old 06-14-06, 09:31 AM   #5
bereta1
BassFishin.Com Member

What about brake cleaner spray or Gun Scrubber to remove the grease. I looked at it, and its covered with gear grease . TKU
Old 06-14-06, 08:47 PM   #6
pig n jig

Well I would not advise any type of cleaner on it. The roller bearing race cup is plastic , which may be damaged by some chemicals.Some chemaicals can soften it, causing excessive wear in a short period of time.I would remove what I could with a clean linen cloth, and maybe use a light weight oil to flush the heavier grease, or at least thin it down to help the bearing function properly. P N J
Old 06-14-06, 10:17 PM   #7
flamez
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

damn pnj is just a wealth of information really one of the all round great guys of bassfishin.com =)
Old 07-15-07, 12:28 AM   #8
wanabass
BassFishin.Com Member

i fish in muddy river in ca what is the best bait for bass?
wanabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-07, 12:32 AM   #9
wanabass
BassFishin.Com Member

can any one help me?
wanabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-07, 02:18 AM   #10
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabass View Post
can any one help me?
Wana,

Try reposting this in "Tips, Tricks, and Techniques".

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.