Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-11, 04:10 AM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default oxygenator problem....2 much H2o??

I need some feedback. I purchased an oxygenator a while back and have had nothing but problems. The first one I got was a portable bait model and I had crazy bad effects with it….fish dying and all that. Guy told me I needed a larger model. So I upgraded. Now I’m just running it in a cooler converted livewell. It was to my understanding that you just turn it on and let it run. The first couple of times I used it when I placed a bass in the water she jumped out of that water like it was boiling hot. Now I’ve had bass thrash before but never like that. The bass that were in the livewell were jumping and thrashing like there was no oxygen in the water. The bass ended up dead. My water wasn’t even that hot. What I ended up doing was taking altronix timer chips and making my own timer. The box consisted off two timers. Timer a would come on every 30 minutes (or whatever I set it to). Timer a would trigger timer b (which was the one that actually ran the oxygenator) which would run for 3 minutes. So basically every 30 minutes my oxygenator would come on for 3 minutes. In looking back my bass seemed like the sustained burns! They were red and irritated around the fins gills and even mouth. I’ve been doing some looking and it seems that you can actually over oxygenate water?? I’m no scientist or fishery biologist so I’m looking for help and opinions about this oxygenator. Keeping my bass healthy and alive is important to me
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-11, 07:38 AM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have a 1990 allison 2002,livewell appeared small,it had a water oxy combination pump fed from the bottom yet lacking somewhat or so I thought,as water was higher got less air.
So replaced that with an all water pump just for recirc,on a timer of course,and added what ive had in last four boats a simple bubbles air system that cost but 25 bucks and runs on 12 v,the battery jobs are a waste of time and money eat batteries.
It comes with two fittings for 1/4 hoses and stones,drill small holes above water line and stick in a corner fish do move them some but no problems.
Can keep a striper alive for several hrs with double air,or drive 300 miles with bass and release them elsehere,alive and kicking.My timers have a min setting of off three on 1 and max about where you cliamed about every 20 min,im at max running always on pump and air.Wouldnt hurt to have air on always as lil current draw.
This all in a race boat one can fish out of.

Merely my opinion but if you have a pump doing both water and air wont do either well,get a pump for recirc and then buy air,simple bubbles off ebay

Last edited by lilmule; 10-17-11 at 07:47 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-11, 07:49 AM   #3
bassboogieman

You can't use them in brackish water - with you in Florida that may be an issue. Using an oxygenator in brackish water - even slightly brackish - results in the production of chlorine gas wich kills fish quickly.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-11, 08:02 AM   #4
lilmule

Hmm didnt know that,bet thats his problem.recirc but no oxy how would that work ?
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-11, 09:16 AM   #5
Crankbait

Yeah I forgot to mention I was running the oxygenator in North Carolina. The recirculation could be an issue though. Im using a cooler as a live well. It’s not a pump it’s an oxygenator. I have a bilge pump the circulates the water. That runs every 10 minutes (in the fall) 5 minutes in the summer.
Old 10-17-11, 10:51 AM   #6
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
You can't use them in brackish water - with you in Florida that may be an issue. Using an oxygenator in brackish water - even slightly brackish - results in the production of chlorine gas wich kills fish quickly.
Boogie...we'd better hurry and warn the millions of saltwater aquarists who aerate their tanks.
Old 10-17-11, 12:00 PM   #7
nofearengineer

Crankbait, can you tell us if what you were using an aerator, or a true oxygenator (uses electrolysis)?
Old 10-17-11, 12:06 PM   #8
bassboogieman

They (aquariums) aerate with AIR, for the most part. The Oxygenator (brand name) uses electrolysis to breakdown the water molecule into Oxygen & Hydrogen. When salt is involved that electrolysis results in a breakdown of the salt into chlorlide and Sodium. The chloride is the killing agent. The best thing if you fish any brackish water is an air pump with a stone, like your aquarium. The Oxygenator works very well in strictly fresh water. Similiar problems can occur if some of the common livewell conditioners are introduced into a livewell with an Oxygenatior, as most contain salt. If salt is present (even in small quanities) and the Oxygenator is turned on, it doesn't take long to kill a bass.
I've got the Oxygenators in both my livewells, and I flush the livewells several times (with lake water) before I activate them, if I've fished previously in brackish water like the Upper Chesapeake or the Potomac River.

Oh, you requested a clairification. Snuck it in while I was typing my response, I see. I was assuming he meant the 12v OXYGENATOR, not a pump aeration system.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 10-17-11 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-17-11, 12:25 PM   #9
nofearengineer

You're right, Boogie...at first I did not consider true oxygenation. Good call. Chlorine will definitely burn them like he said.
Old 10-17-11, 04:49 PM   #10
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
They (aquariums) aerate with AIR, for the most part. The Oxygenator (brand name) uses electrolysis to breakdown the water molecule into Oxygen & Hydrogen. When salt is involved that electrolysis results in a breakdown of the salt into chlorlide and Sodium. The chloride is the killing agent. The best thing if you fish any brackish water is an air pump with a stone, like your aquarium. The Oxygenator works very well in strictly fresh water. Similiar problems can occur if some of the common livewell conditioners are introduced into a livewell with an Oxygenatior, as most contain salt. If salt is present (even in small quanities) and the Oxygenator is turned on, it doesn't take long to kill a bass.
I've got the Oxygenators in both my livewells, and I flush the livewells several times (with lake water) before I activate them, if I've fished previously in brackish water like the Upper Chesapeake or the Potomac River.

Oh, you requested a clairification. Snuck it in while I was typing my response, I see. I was assuming he meant the 12v OXYGENATOR, not a pump aeration system.
Yup no salt water or brackish water. I’m in Florida now but was using the oxygenator in North Carolina. I would add/remove ¼ of the water every hour. I was looking at the oxygenator as an alternative to a continuous recirculation cycle. I didn’t want to recycle 92 degree water I was keeping my water near the 80 degree mark. Maybe I should look at flushing my live well with lake water. I did use the livewell additive.
Old 10-18-11, 12:41 PM   #11
bassboogieman

The additive, then, would be my guess. If you still have the bottle - check the composition, if it lists the ingridients. If it has any salt - then I think you nailed the problem.
Old 10-18-11, 01:36 PM   #12
TN_Bassin

Rejuvinade or other additives with an electrolysis oxygenator will create chlorine also. Because of the salt like others have said.
Old 10-19-11, 07:39 PM   #13
Crankbait

i’m using u2 pro formula which is made for the oxygenator. Also I have tested the unit without an additive.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.