Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-06, 07:02 PM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default In-Line Spinners

Anybody do any bass fishing with inline spinners? What brand does everybody like? What are the good colors for stained and murky waters? What size/weight? Also, is it alright to swap out the treble hook for a standard hook? Thanks!

Ryan
Old 01-12-06, 07:12 PM   #2
fishn'fool
BassFishin.Com Member

Have never used them for bass. But they would be good to try when you have a spinner bait bite going.
fishn'fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-06, 08:39 PM   #3
Marty

I used to use inline spinners all the time, then stopped for some reason. But I started using them again last year. Typically it's a #3 Mepps Aglia or Blue Fox Vibrax. I was using chartreuse/firetiger/fluorescent orange in stained water, but other colors will work too.

Yes, it's OK to swap the treble for a single hook. In fact, I believe Mepps offers some of their models with a choice of treble or single hook.

I don't know where you're located, but pike and pickerel will be all over these lures; of course, they catch bass too.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-06, 09:01 PM   #4
bass kicker

ya that is why i stopped throwing them for bass to many pike in my area
Old 01-12-06, 11:07 PM   #5
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

At the public fishing pier on Lake Michigan here, people nail big smallies with #3 Mepp's in-line spinners. I outfish them with soft plastic jerkbaits. I like using Mepp's in smaller rivers and ponds, they're pretty reliable.
Old 01-13-06, 12:55 AM   #6
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

good all around fish catchers..I got with the original rooster-tail. I use anything from white to chartreuse to fire tiger to black to whatever...they'll all catch fish, just might not always be a bass.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-06, 04:11 AM   #7
islandbass

Inline spinners and regular spoons are my "last resort I don't want to go home skunked lures" and they have saved me many a time from going home skunked.
Old 01-13-06, 06:24 AM   #8
PowerBass

They are definitley a numbers bait! Sure you will catch some good ones, but most will be dinks. One of my go to lures wehn conditions get tough. Also I think they might make a good smallie lure.

Here is a link to a great article-

go to www.riversmallies.com
click on articles
read the article on In-Line Spinners by Craig something, also known as earthworm77
Old 01-13-06, 09:13 AM   #9
Kickin Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Kickin Bass

I have caught more smallmouth on a #2 yellow Rooster Tail than any other bait in my tacklebox ...
Kickin Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-06, 11:08 AM   #10
bassnman30

Don't forget about the Snagless sally.
Old 01-13-06, 05:03 PM   #11
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i used to use them up north #2-3 mepps black fury. i recently seen a man using one in nc-on tuckertown lake- talked to him some.he was using spinning gear and 6 pound power pro braid. catching crappie and bass with a good mess of white perch thrown in. he was using a #2 mepps angilia plain shank. he was not catching many large bass but the large crappie was making his day..

zooker
Old 01-13-06, 07:58 PM   #12
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i use in-lines in early spring in a trophy bass lake up here by me.clear skies use silver,overcast use gold.that is about the only time i throw them but they do catch fish.
Old 01-15-06, 09:29 AM   #13
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

I occasionally use some I've made. I bought a little tackle tool wirebender that fits on my fly tying table with a clamp. I first screwed it down onto a small board, then clamp the board to the table. It makes closed, wrapped eyes in the wire and works well. I make some with treble hooks, others with singles. You can enclose the hook eye on without having to mess with split rings. It came from Janns Netcraft.

I buy the number three inline spinnerblades in silver and gold from a variety of suppliers. This is the type of blade the wire spinner shaft passes directly through without using a clevis. The blade has a concave indentation above the drilled hole and a convex surface beneath. I put a small red seed bead on the shaft above the blade and the concave dent in the upper blade reflects the red color extremely well as it spins. Below the blade, I use a red glass E bead for a bearing and below the E bead is a 1/8 to 1/16 painted bullet weight made by Water Gremlin. I usually use black for the body weight. Just below the bullet weight, I use a 6 mm sized red faceted plastic bead. The cavity in the bullet fits down over the top of the bead nicely and seems to become an integral part of the body configuration.

On the treble hook, I tie some red yarn on with fly tying thread, making a small ball. Just above the ball, between the eye of the hook and the yarn ball, I twist on some black hackle which is now held outward by the yarn underneath. As the spinner is pulled through the water, the hackle barbs bend back and in effect you have the tail behaving like a rooster tail spinner. Locals have caught trout and bass on my spinners.

About single hooks....I wouldn't normally make them with singles, but some areas nearby are single hook only.

One fellow noted that my spinners are a cross between a Rooster
Tail and a Panther Martin. He's right.....I was trying for the best of both worlds.

Good fishing, Mac
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 08:16 PM   #14
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac3
I occasionally use some I've made. I bought a little tackle tool wirebender that fits on my fly tying table with a clamp. I first screwed it down onto a small board, then clamp the board to the table. It makes closed, wrapped eyes in the wire and works well. I make some with treble hooks, others with singles. You can enclose the hook eye on without having to mess with split rings. It came from Janns Netcraft.

I buy the number three inline spinnerblades in silver and gold from a variety of suppliers. This is the type of blade the wire spinner shaft passes directly through without using a clevis. The blade has a concave indentation above the drilled hole and a convex surface beneath. I put a small red seed bead on the shaft above the blade and the concave dent in the upper blade reflects the red color extremely well as it spins. Below the blade, I use a red glass E bead for a bearing and below the E bead is a 1/8 to 1/16 painted bullet weight made by Water Gremlin. I usually use black for the body weight. Just below the bullet weight, I use a 6 mm sized red faceted plastic bead. The cavity in the bullet fits down over the top of the bead nicely and seems to become an integral part of the body configuration.

On the treble hook, I tie some red yarn on with fly tying thread, making a small ball. Just above the ball, between the eye of the hook and the yarn ball, I twist on some black hackle which is now held outward by the yarn underneath. As the spinner is pulled through the water, the hackle barbs bend back and in effect you have the tail behaving like a rooster tail spinner. Locals have caught trout and bass on my spinners.

About single hooks....I wouldn't normally make them with singles, but some areas nearby are single hook only.

One fellow noted that my spinners are a cross between a Rooster
Tail and a Panther Martin. He's right.....I was trying for the best of both worlds.

Good fishing, Mac
WOW, Mac is back. That was pretty neat how you put it all together. I'm impressed once again. Now I honestly haven't thrown a in-line spinnerbait in quite a few years, even though I have about 6 new ones in the box lol. Great job

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.