Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-06, 01:35 PM   #1
officerhoyt
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Good combo for under 200$?

Is this a good combo for under two hundred bucks?

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

If there is another combo you would suggest, it would be appreciated
thanks
officerhoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-06, 03:07 PM   #2
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

With the prices of quality rods and reels heading for the skies like gasoline, I'd say it is, but if I was going to spend that kind of money, I would invest in the reel and go with a lower quality rod for now....a good set up, would be a Shimano Curado D for about 199, and a Shimano Crucial for about another 130.00 bucks....JMO. Shimano isn't known for having sales though, but the retailers will now and then.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-06, 03:10 PM   #3
HulaPopr
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

What do you plan on using it for? Thats a great reel, but I don't like the BPS rods all that much, they're not that sensitive at all, at least the cheaper ones aren't. If you want to get a different rod, I'd go with a St. Croix or Quantum. To balance the budget you could always get a pfleuger reel, cheaper than shimanos but just as good in every way, they've got the best reels out there for the price IMO.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-06, 07:15 PM   #4
pig n jig

I would save your money.What reason did Shimano bring the citica reel name back, its been discontinued for a few years ? The need to fill a lower budget reel in their lineup. Shimano won't give nothin away, always gotta have premium price for their name. They will throw the bone to ya,when you spend your money on their high dollar products and yet you will somehow be smiling about it. Even though they just raped, pillaged and burned your savings account to near extinction ? The rod is the smartest part of your combo.You will stand a better chance of boating fish on the light bite days.The reel is nothing more than a line tender. It lets you cast line out and lets you reel line in. as to what degree of difficulty you may experience while using it, is not always determined by the price tag they carry. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-06, 07:18 PM   #5
officerhoyt
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
I would save your money.What reason did Shimano bring the citica reel name back, its been discontinued for a few years ? The need to fill a lower budget reel in their lineup. Shimano won't give nothin away, always gotta have premium price for their name. They will throw the bone to ya,when you spend your money on their high dollar products and yet you will somehow be smiling about it. Even though they just raped, pillaged and burned your savings account to near extinction ? The rod is the smartest part of your combo.You will stand a better chance of boating fish on the light bite days.The reel is nothing more than a line tender. It lets you cast line out and lets you reel line in. as to what degree of difficulty you may experience while using it, is not always determined by the price tag they carry. P N J
What do you suggest?
officerhoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-06, 07:42 PM   #6
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd price rods from several manufactures, like All Star, Kistler Rods, or
bass pro bionic blades

www.allstarrods.com/

www.kistlerrods.com/
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-06, 08:38 PM   #7
flfireman

I use BPS rods- extreme,bionic blades. But have started leaning towards All Stars. I own 2 now and will probably have more soon.
Old 06-19-06, 11:09 PM   #8
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by officerhoyt
What do you suggest?
It is not for me to decide.You are the one throwing down the money on it.I shouldn't have slammed Shimano like that, like I said its not my decision.It would help to list what types of lures, you're planning to use with it.That would be helpful in trying to get the best for your lure presentations and money. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-06, 11:38 PM   #9
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
I shouldn't have slammed Shimano like that,
P N J
Just had to get that quoted before you deleted it

Lizards
Old 06-20-06, 03:32 AM   #10
flamez

bps extremes cheap but smooth and effective
Old 06-20-06, 08:56 AM   #11
Tnbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to Tnbasser

Do yerself a favor...Get yerself a Pflueger Purist or Echelon reel, and a CrazyFish Rod.Comes out about the same price.
Tnbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 11:09 PM   #12
bassinbob

Officerhoyt. I have the citica and like it very much. I'd say it's a big improvment over the curado's and on par with a curado super free. I have to agree with JB on the Kistler rod. Buy one and you'll love it. I have tried the Airrus rod and like it. I just used it this past weekend for 6 or 7 hours sat and sun. While not as light as the Kistler it didn't wear out my arm either. Also the St Croixs' are a very good rod. I use the priemeres and love all 6 of them. To answer your question I'd say a citica reel and either a St Croix or the Airrus rod.

Bob
Old 06-22-06, 12:45 PM   #13
3dkicker

Default Abu. Torno

Hey,
Don't leave out the Abu Garcia Torno reels. Got two of them. Very good reels and haven't had a problem with them. Found one brand new on Ebay for $50 (included shipping) that normally retails for $115. That leaves $150 for a nice rod. Your choice - you can get one custom made if you want but there are plenty of good rods out there for that price.
David
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.