Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 11-16-07, 09:47 PM   #1
ESipes_89
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via MSN to ESipes_89
Angry Line Guide is %&#^@>+ Stuck!?!

Hi,

I have a Shakespeare baitcast reel that I bought for $30 about 4 months ago and the line guide recently started getting stuck (on every cast). It moves over to the right all the way and just sticks there. I've tried re-greasing it and it started working for about 2 weeks and is now doing it again? The screw is spinning but the line guide doesn't move. Anyone know how I could fix this or even what could be wrong?

-Eric

P.S. Please don't say you get what you pay for. That's really annoying.
Old 11-16-07, 10:06 PM   #2
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Well, Espies89, I'm really sorry, but when it comes to baitcasters you do get what you pay for. My two cents, save $100 bucks and get a Shimano or something of that nature.

-ll
Old 11-16-07, 10:07 PM   #3
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Well there isnt much else to say except, you get what you pay for But, a spray of WD-40 has made it fixed for a couple of days for me... Give it a try.

tb
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 10:21 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

take it to a quality reel guy the skeg or worm gear is messed up.. $10 in parts plus a quality wrench will also lube it up.. best $20 you can spend.. i have found a good guy. there is a few around i would not let work on a zebco 202..

zooker
Old 11-16-07, 10:27 PM   #5
garry_3000

Try and take it back to the store and tell them it has done this since day one Wal-mart will take anyting back
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-07, 01:43 AM   #6
ESipes_89

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_3000 View Post
Try and take it back to the store and tell them it has done this since day one Wal-mart will take anyting back.

Sadly, I got it from Kmart and they wont take anything back after 90 days or if you didn't purchase the "warranty" (I didn't of course). Plus, It just started doing it about a month ago.
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I guess I'll just keep lubin' it till I can take it to Shamburgs Sporting Goods. They're a ma and pa hunting and fishing store located 15 min. away that deal with these kinds of things.

Forgot about this but, when it's real cold out, after about an hour the drag stops working. The reel will get cold, the gears (or whatever it is) will shrink, and it gets to where if I tighten the drag all the way I can still pull the line out with my bare hands with little to no pressure.

Thanks,
-Eric
Old 11-17-07, 11:19 AM   #7
pig n jig

There should be a little cap screw on the bottom side , Make sure that screw is tight and if it is , most likely the line pawl is worn, or broken so its not meshing in the wormgear.Do not put grease on the line pawl assembly.It will attract dirt and debri which can cause problems such as you now have.Use a heavy oil, I like Abu Garcia silicote oil for the line pawl assembly. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-07, 05:27 PM   #8
ESipes_89

I didn't use accual grease, I used "3 in 1" oil.

I saw the cap but, being plastic, I wasn't sure if it just a cap or it could accually be turned. I'll give that a try.

Thanks,
-Eric
Old 11-17-07, 08:41 PM   #9
pig n jig

3 in 1 oil is better than grease.The caps usually have a slot , you don't want to over tighten it, just make sure it's snug, not loose. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-07, 11:30 PM   #10
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Save your money Get a better reel. My first Baitcaster was a Daiwa Procaster SE. It was a great buy. It was only $80, save up and get something like that.

By the way, Why would you buy fishing gear at KMart.
Also, don't use WD-40, It will lubricate it for a very little while before drying up and making your problem worse. The 3 in 1 you used should work fine.
Old 11-18-07, 01:24 AM   #11
ESipes_89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
By the way, Why would you buy fishing gear at KMart.
Because the closest Walmart is 30 miles away and the closest BPS is 100 miles. Kmart is 15 miles away and has the best selction of equipment within 30 miles. Gas is expensive and I drive an '83 F150 that gets MABYE at best 10 mpg.

-Eric

Last edited by ESipes_89; 11-18-07 at 01:30 AM.
ESipes_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 11:34 PM   #12
Johndhii
BassFishin.Com Member

I have to agree with a few of the people in saying that I wouldn't put more money into the reel.
I had an abu ambassadeur, which was alright, I paid like 50 bucks for it. It gave up after three years a couple weeks back and I was gonna get it fixed. They told me it would cost 30 bucks to fix it, because something sheared inside.
I decided to scrap the reel and bought a Rick Clunn online from bass pro shops. I took it out, it casts like a dream, reels in smoothly and I love it. Best 80 bucks I spent.
Johndhii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 06:55 AM   #13
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Esypes,

The reel was NOT designed to fail so PandJ was right or at least the closest as to the solution.
If you havenot already done so reemove the little cap he mentioned and inspect the "pawl". if its worn or deformed simply call Shakespeare and order a new part AND a new cap. Why a new cap? Well, if it is made of plastic odds are that you will, sooner or later, crack the cap when tightening it or lose it so have a spare. In fact I'd order 2 new pawls and 2 new caps, just in case. They are cheap.
Ignore those who wise off about buying reels at Walmart or chide you for buying a certain brand or buying an inexpensive reel. There are a lot of people out there who seem to only be happy if they are belittling something or someone. I have known some guys who would starve their family so that they could pop off about owning expensive tackle. Dontbe one of those and never make fun of another persons gear.
BTW,you might ask if Shakespeare offers any reels with a metal cap and if one of them will fit your reel. If so, then order metal ones instead. I did this with all my Shimano Curados, by the way. Strange that Shimano put plastic caps on one of the greatest reels of all time.
good luck to you.
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 06:27 PM   #14
WIUbassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESipes_89 View Post
Because the closest Walmart is 30 miles away and the closest BPS is 100 miles. Kmart is 15 miles away and has the best selction of equipment within 30 miles. Gas is expensive and I drive an '83 F150 that gets MABYE at best 10 mpg.

-Eric
Just as a thought, I have a similar situation with the closest bps being about an hour and a half. A decent solution is to order online, I know in Illinois you don't have to pay tax when you order online so usually you will pay about the same in shipping as you would pay in tax at the actual store. Thats what I do alot.
Old 11-22-07, 01:44 AM   #15
ESipes_89

Hi,

Thanks for all the help. I think I got it fixed. I took it apart and there was a piece of dirt stuck inside the line guide. I oiled it up real well and it has no visible damage and seems to be working fine.

WIUbassin, I would but most online stores only take credit cards and I'm kinda hesitant when it comes to giving out personal information or even sending checks through the mail. I may just be paranoid but I only buy online when I absolutly have to.

Thanks again,
-Eric
Old 11-22-07, 04:57 PM   #16
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Try Tackle Warehouse, I think they take money orders.

-LL-

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.