Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-07, 05:12 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Choices...

I'm stuck between the reel choices for my Frog Stik. I have been looking at the 1)Abu Garcia Revo SX for $149.99, the 2)Quantum PT Tour Edition(the one that looks like burnt metal)for $189.99 and maybe a Shimano. Don't know what model on the Shimano, but I really like their brand, and am yet undecided.

Do you guys have any other suggestion in the $150-185 range?

-LL-
Old 12-09-07, 05:29 PM   #2
lunker-lander

Or.... Could this be it?

Shimano Curado 200 D Series Casting Reels
The biggest news from Shimano this year for bass fishermen is the introduction of the all new Curado. This is not just an update of the old model. This is a whole new reel that incorporates all the cutting edge technology Shimano is famous for, plus some new features not found in any other reel.

Shimano Curado 200 D Series Casting Reels - $199.99The 7:1 High Speed Curado is here!! The biggest news from Shimano this year for bass fishermen is the introduction of the all new Curado. This is not just an update of the old model. this is a whole new reel that incorporates all the cutting edge technology Shimano is famous for, plus some new features not found in any other reel. This is the reel you're going to be picking up first for years to come. The Curado D was designed and built from the ground up with just one goal in mind; to be the smoothest, most efficient casting machines ever built. Every Curado in the lineup features the Super Free™ bearing supported pinion gear for longer, smoother casts with less effort. Coupled with the incredibly light Magnumlite® Spool, these reels can cast lighter baits farther than ever before. Curado D retains all the great features Curado has been known for, like the VBS® Variable Brake System that allows you to fine tune the backlash control to your style of fishing and helps eliminate backlash, and the super tough, lightweight one piece aluminum frame that keeps moving parts aligned for years of smooth power. The VBS® hub has also been redesigned, making it lighter, faster, and more efficient. Add cutting edge features like Shimano's exclusive HEG® High Efficiency Gearing. HEG® provides oversized gears for more leverage and torque, and includes specially designed setplates and sideplates, and precise machining for maximum power. What this means to the bass angler is that you can now have a super high-speed reel that cranks and moves heavy fish like other low-speed reels. The incredible 7:1 gear ratio will get your bait back to the boat and ready for another cast faster but will not bind up when under load. When you test this feature on your next big bass you'll be amazed, and with the 5:1 Power Version reel you'll be able to winch up your anchor! Shimano also equips Curado D with Septon® handles that are soft to grip and will not slip when your hands are wet and cold, and a recessed reel foot so Curado D sits lower than ever on your rod for more comfort and control. Shimano incorporated the famous Dartanium® Drag material to give you the smoothest drag performance ever. Put all these features together with high-end luxury items like the click indexed star drag that will not move even on extremely low settings, the tough multi coated finish, and the drilled, cold forged handle shank that reduces weight, and you've got a casting machine that will be the high water mark of reels for years to come.

So?

-LL-
Old 12-09-07, 06:25 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I am partial to Diawa's reels. IMO they make a very good product that is worth the money. (not saying Shimano doesn't) I'd take a look at this one:
Team Daiwa Zillion (249.99)
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_100-1-1

BB
Old 12-09-07, 06:52 PM   #4
lunker-lander

I too like the Daiwas, but to me it seems that Daiwa makes something too cheap for me, or something too expensive, like the Zillion or Steez. There seems to be nothing in between for my price range.

-LL-
Old 12-09-07, 06:58 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Tell me about it. Although I find their lower end reels to work pretty nicely. I am hoping to get the Viento for X-Mas. If I don't I'm buying afterwards.
Old 12-09-07, 10:32 PM   #6
lunker-lander

By the way, Cabela's has a $50 rebate good until April 30, 2008 on the Curado. I was looking at the 7.0:1 or the 6.2:1 Lefty model. Is 7.0 too fast? 6.2 too slow? Please keep in mind I also want to use the rod, a St.Croix Legend Tournament Bass 7' Heavy/Fast for other topwater besides frogs, like buzzbaits, Jimmy's, Spook's, X-Walk's, and some occasional flippin'. Sound OK?

-LL-
Old 12-09-07, 11:18 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

the viento would make a good reel for frog fishing. i like the twitchin bar and i think it could really help make a frog move just the right amount to get a second blowup if the fish misses the first time. on the abu-garcia revo, i really like them a lot and don't think that you would be disappointed but i would suggest the 7.1:1 gear ratio. that would really help get the fish out of heavy trash and in the boat quick.
Old 12-09-07, 11:51 PM   #8
bassinbob

I would suggest the Shamano with the $50 rebate. I have the older model curados and a superfree curado. I also have the Revo SX and STX. I wouldn't buy another SX but wouldn't hesitate to buy the STX. I started off with Shimanos and really like them but the STX is a great reel IMO. I have plenty of reels but I want to get a light weight and was thinking of the Scorpion, The new Core or the Revo Premier. I've heard plenty of opinions on Shimanos and Abu's. Some good some bad. Chevy-Ford, take your pick. Either brand IMO is fine.
Old 12-10-07, 09:58 AM   #9
BigBassin144

LL, I know you've been told this before, but I think your rod is too heavy for regular topwater fishing (spooks, jimmys, etc). I just think you should pick a reel that is based on what's best for froggin' and froggin' alone. Maybe use a different rod for topwater.

BB
Old 12-10-07, 11:17 AM   #10
lunker-lander

Alright, thanks for all the responses Guys! I think I might just save up and buy the Curado and use the rebate since it's good until the 30th of April.

-LL-
Old 12-12-07, 06:27 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Hey LL, I was on the BPS website last night and found this. Since you are also a fan of Daiwa, I thought I would let you know.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_100-1-1

Looks like a nice reel. A BPS exclusive too.

BB
Old 12-12-07, 06:36 PM   #12
lunker-lander

That reel does look pretty nice, but 6.3 I think is a tad too slow for Froggin'. I mean, if you have a 7.0:1, like the Curado, it is easier to reel slower with that faster reel than to reel faster with the slower reel.

Make sense? Does look like a nice reel though. You may want to try it for your Crankin' Stick.

-LL-
Old 12-12-07, 06:46 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Sorry, I'm sticking with a spinning outfit for my crankin' stick.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.