Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 46 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 09-26-09, 12:24 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Ton Graphite?

Bare with me here.

So I'm looking at the New Abu rods, and I seen that don't have an IM rating, I know that basically the higher IM rating, the more sensitive. I also know that IM7, IM8, is like the standerd rod IM. But what up with ton graphite? I know that the higher Ton the more sensitve, but what's the stander? The Abu Vengance has 24 ton graphite blank; Is that good? It would seem like it, becuase the Vendetta is 30 ton, and that's only a 6 Ton difference.

So what's the deel with Ton?
Old 09-26-09, 01:42 PM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I assume it is a rating system similar to Modulus. BPS's rods are rated by so many million modulus.

An Extreme has like 55 million, a pro qualifier has 70 million, and the Johnny morris rods have 80 million. The higher the modulus rating, the more sensitive the rod is. But there is a down side to this as well. The higher the modulus, the more brittle the graphite is. Which may be why people have problems with high end Loomis rods breaking.

Anyways, an IM6 rod has approximately 30-35 million modulus, an IM7 has approximately 40-45 million, and an IM8 has about 60 million.

Like I said, I don't know for sure, but I think it's abu's way of not following the crowd and using an IM or Modulus rating. I just don't know it compares to IM or Modulus.

I'd email Abu and ask them. Cause I definately could be wrong.

BB
Old 09-26-09, 02:22 PM   #3
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Bare with me here.

So I'm looking at the New Abu rods, and I seen that don't have an IM rating, I know that basically the higher IM rating, the more sensitive.
Not entirely true, graphite density ( IM rating ) is just one in several factors that will provide better sensitivity but not all of it, density, direction in which the fibers are wooven, blank construction, resins used to bond the fibers together, fiber purity, carbon content, wall thickness, all those factors and more is what makes one blank more sensitive than another.

IM rating is just that, but it´s not a standard of quality nor sensitivity, that´s why one manufacturer´s high IM rating blank is not better than another manufacturer´s low IM rating blank.

A Johnny Morrys blank has a greater IM rating than a GLoomis GLX blank and the Johnny Morrys is far from being a GLX.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 02:31 PM   #4
Bassboss

Cool thanks guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I'd email Abu and ask them. Cause I definately could be wrong.
I'll definitely e-mail them, but how? Pure fishing?
Old 09-26-09, 02:39 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Look on Abu's website. I'm sure there's a 'contact us' link somewhere.

BB
Old 09-26-09, 04:09 PM   #6
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

BB,

Those IM numbers don't tell you much in and of themselves.

Check this link for the scoop on IM 6,7,8 or X. Don't get suckered into buying a rod just because it has millions more than another.

http://flw.flwoutdoors.com/article.cfm?id=141123

It is an interview with Gary Loomis. I think he know a little something about graphite and the misconception of the term brittle with respect to graphite. You might need to read it 2-3 times.

As for the TON graphite, it could be a proprietary blend for abu.
Old 09-26-09, 05:15 PM   #7
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
BB,

Those IM numbers don't tell you much in and of themselves.

Check this link for the scoop on IM 6,7,8 or X. Don't get suckered into buying a rod just because it has millions more than another.

http://flw.flwoutdoors.com/article.cfm?id=141123

It is an interview with Gary Loomis. I think he know a little something about graphite and the misconception of the term brittle with respect to graphite. You might need to read it 2-3 times.

As for the TON graphite, it could be a proprietary blend for abu.
Cool! Thanks for that info man! I finally found someone that has one of the rods and he said he would expect to pay 100$-109$, for a rod like that. He said it's surprisingly sensitive for the price!

While, that was some good info, and I now under stand the Million and Modulus terms, I still don't know about TON. I'm not sure if it's a fiber glass/ graphite bland though, other wise it would not be as sensitive as it is.

I e-mailed Abu and will C/P the e-mail they send me here for y'all to see and learn!
Old 09-26-09, 11:07 PM   #8
nofearengineer

If you want my advice on these "pseudo-specs" for graphite rods...IGNORE IT ALL. It's all hype cooked up by the industry's marketing departments. Americans love pseudo-specs.

First, there is no standard, which means one manufacturer can make up whatever numbers he wants, just to sound better than the other guy.

Second, just like this the OP's question, nobody even knows what they're even supposed to mean, much less compare them to someone else's techno-jargon they use to describe their product.

Go to the store, pick up a rod, and test it yourself.
Old 09-27-09, 08:42 AM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
If you want my advice on these "pseudo-specs" for graphite rods...IGNORE IT ALL. It's all hype cooked up by the industry's marketing departments. Americans love pseudo-specs.

First, there is no standard, which means one manufacturer can make up whatever numbers he wants, just to sound better than the other guy.

Second, just like this the OP's question, nobody even knows what they're even supposed to mean, much less compare them to someone else's techno-jargon they use to describe their product.

Go to the store, pick up a rod, and test it yourself.
Good point Nofear, but I'm not sure I totally agree with you. There must be some truth to the IM scale, an IM6 lightning rod, can't be as sensitive as a Cumra, which has an IM factor of IM10. Sure there are other factors, but make the cumra IM6, and it still can't be as sensitve as it was before. They's probably some truth to what you're saying about it being a far as a marketing scam though.
Old 09-27-09, 09:08 AM   #10
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Not entirely true, graphite density ( IM rating ) is just one in several factors that will provide better sensitivity but not all of it, density, direction in which the fibers are wooven, blank construction, resins used to bond the fibers together, fiber purity, carbon content, wall thickness, all those factors and more is what makes one blank more sensitive than another.

IM rating is just that, but it´s not a standard of quality nor sensitivity, that´s why one manufacturer´s high IM rating blank is not better than another manufacturer´s low IM rating blank.

A Johnny Morrys blank has a greater IM rating than a GLoomis GLX blank and the Johnny Morrys is far from being a GLX.
Raul, you're gonna kill me for this but I gotta disagree. I've fished both. I think the Johnny Morris is just as sensitive and I've never broken one.. you are right about rod construction. It has more to do with sensitivity than modulus rating.
Old 09-28-09, 08:29 PM   #11
Bassboss

Abu emailed me back, here's what they said!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In actuality, the IM rating a customer sees on a blank is somewhat a
myth. There truly is no such thing as an IM7, 8, 9, etc. blank. The term
"IM" came from a graphite company that was making different blanks, and
on the sixth attempt they made one that felt good, hence the term IM6.
Since then, the trademark has passed on that name and the rod companies
have somewhat bastardized that, claiming 7, 8, 9 etc.

The true rating of graphite is Million Modulus (US standard) or Tonnage
(world standard). Even million modulus has been somewhat over blown in
the last few years; but, generally gives a close comparison. Tonnage is
the one remaining rating nobody has thrown to the wolves as of yet.

If you compared Tonnage to the old IM6 from the first company, the 24
Ton blank is a fair comparison. There was no IM7 or IM8 so it's harder
to compare; however, similar to that marketing the true tonnage gets
higher and lighter. So the 30 Ton blank is lighter than the 24, 36
lighter than a 30 and so on.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.