Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-23-12, 05:59 PM   #1
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Casting reel making noise? It's not your bearings.

When people send me reels for service, many of them will list problems that they have noticed with the reel. One of the most common issues I see is that their reel is making noise. Most will describe the noise as anywhere from a high pitched squeal to a chirping or clicking noise that occurs during the cast. Almost everyone says that the bearings are making the noise. On reels that I have serviced, the most common complaint after some time of using the reel, is this same noise. The customer is always afraid that something happend to the bearings. I can tell you this, it's almost never the bearings making these noises. When noises like this occur, it's usually while they are using the reel and the noise will get worse as they use it. Bearings don't go bad like that. Also, when a bearing does go bad, it almost never makes noise but will make the reel feel rough or you will feel a clicking sensation. The other thing that happens in conjunction with this noise from reels is that casting distance will decrease also. This would definitely make you think that a bearing has gone bad, but that's not whats happening. If you think about the noise, it's very similar to a fingernail on a chalkboard or a fork scraping a plate. Bearings don't generally make noises like that. Noises like that are caused by something rubbing a surface. What rubs inside a reel during a cast that can both make a noise and affect distance? The answer is your brakes. All reels with centrifugal brakes have plastic or fiber tabs that rub the inside of a brake ring. That brake ring and those tabs have to be lubricated or they will be rubbing on a dry surface. Anytime something rubs a dry surface, it will make a noise. As stated, it can be a variety of noises that happen on the cast, but 99% of the time it will be dry brakes. Now, why would that also cause the reel to slow down? The answer is the same, dry brakes. When a dry plastic tab rubs a dry brake ring, the friction is a lot more than when it's oiled, so much more in fact that the ends of the tabs will often melt and have fringe hanging off of them. Most new reels come with a thin to thick layer of grease on the brake ring. Grease will lube the brake ring and keep it from making noise, but it also cause inconsistent braking. Therefore, after a reel has been serviced, the brake ring and tabs will be oiled, but not greased. The braking is much more consistent with oiled brake parts, but oil doesn't last as long as grease. If you have a reel with centrifugal brakes, you need to wipe a drop or two of reel oil around the inside of the brake ring at least once a month. A few drops on a Qtip makes it easy to do. It's also just a heck of a good practice to get into of opening the side cover to oil your brakes frequently as this will give you the chance to wipe a little grease on the side cover locking tabs or threads. You would be amazed at how many reels I see that have never been opened and I quite often wonder if I'm going to be able to open it without breaking the cover due to corrosion and the fact that it was never opened for lubrication or adjustment. If you don't know how to open your side cover to access the brakes or to oil the parts, send me a PM here or post a question here. Having your reels serviced once a year is a great thing to do for them, but they will still need some attention from you between services. It's a good idea to keep a small bottle of reel oil and a tube of grease along with some Q-tips as an emergency service kit. If your reel is new and has not been serviced, use the stock lubes that should have come with it. If I have serviced your reels, the brake parts will have yellow label rocket fuel oil on them and the side cover locking tabs should have cals universal reel grease on them. Mixing brands on brake parts and locking tabs probably won't hurt anything though it's definitely not a good idea to mix brands in other areas of the reel.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-12, 07:31 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Another excellent post that will probably open more than a few eyes and answer some questions. Thanks Kevin for the info.
Old 07-24-12, 10:18 PM   #3
Bassboss

Well Kevin, let's see if it works! My Daiwa Advantage has been making a noise like you're saying, it dosn't really bug me, but it's always nice to have a quite reel. I sure it will though, thanks for little write up!
Old 07-27-12, 07:24 PM   #4
bluebasser86

Thanks for the write up. Actually sent you 2 more reels yesterday because they're making a little noise and it's almost to hot to fish anyways so thought I'd get them fixed up before they get fired up again. The 200E7 and 200B both feel head and shoulders above anything else I own after I had you do the pro tune on them. My old greenie casts further than all of my E7's except the one you tuned up. It almost casts as far as my old 200BSF but I've never seen anything that could touch that reels casting distance.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 08:57 PM   #5
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Very nice write up

Jim
Old 07-30-12, 03:19 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Good info. Hadn't thought about or realized the brakes need to be oiled. I did have one that gave off a high pitched squeal as I cast but in this case it was the bearings. A drop of oil took care of the problem.

Since you service reels, what kind of oil/grease do you use? I have been using Hot Sauce for a number of years and have been very pleased with how it performs, but have heard all kinds of pros and cons with it. Just curious as to what you recommend.
Old 07-30-12, 04:15 PM   #7
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Good info. Hadn't thought about or realized the brakes need to be oiled. I did have one that gave off a high pitched squeal as I cast but in this case it was the bearings. A drop of oil took care of the problem.

Since you service reels, what kind of oil/grease do you use? I have been using Hot Sauce for a number of years and have been very pleased with how it performs, but have heard all kinds of pros and cons with it. Just curious as to what you recommend.
I prefer rocket fuel oils. As for your reel. I have seen the same thing where a reel was making a screech, and then stoped after oiling the bearings, only to start again a day or a week later. In the case of the reels I'm refering to, they all stopped permanetly when I oiled the brake ring and tabs. My theory is that when you put oil on the bearing in the brake side cover, some will fling off in a fine mist just enough to put a very thin film back on the ring. This is what happened to 5 reels of a customer of mine. He was sure his bearings were bad after just this same thing. All of his bearings were fine, it was the brakes causing the noise but oil from the bearings would quite them for a short time.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 11:25 PM   #8
Rebbasser

Makes perfect sense to me. Haven't had it screech since but then I use multiple rod/reels out on the water so none get overused very much.
Old 08-01-12, 09:32 PM   #9
INBoonville
BassFishin.Com Member

Default O wow

O wow thanks that does make make a lot of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
When people send me reels for service, many of them will list problems that they have noticed with the reel. One of the most common issues I see is that their reel is making noise. Most will describe the noise as anywhere from a high pitched squeal to a chirping or clicking noise that occurs during the cast. Almost everyone says that the bearings are making the noise. On reels that I have serviced, the most common complaint after some time of using the reel, is this same noise. The customer is always afraid that something happend to the bearings. I can tell you this, it's almost never the bearings making these noises. When noises like this occur, it's usually while they are using the reel and the noise will get worse as they use it. Bearings don't go bad like that. Also, when a bearing does go bad, it almost never makes noise but will make the reel feel rough or you will feel a clicking sensation. The other thing that happens in conjunction with this noise from reels is that casting distance will decrease also. This would definitely make you think that a bearing has gone bad, but that's not whats happening. If you think about the noise, it's very similar to a fingernail on a chalkboard or a fork scraping a plate. Bearings don't generally make noises like that. Noises like that are caused by something rubbing a surface. What rubs inside a reel during a cast that can both make a noise and affect distance? The answer is your brakes. All reels with centrifugal brakes have plastic or fiber tabs that rub the inside of a brake ring. That brake ring and those tabs have to be lubricated or they will be rubbing on a dry surface. Anytime something rubs a dry surface, it will make a noise. As stated, it can be a variety of noises that happen on the cast, but 99% of the time it will be dry brakes. Now, why would that also cause the reel to slow down? The answer is the same, dry brakes. When a dry plastic tab rubs a dry brake ring, the friction is a lot more than when it's oiled, so much more in fact that the ends of the tabs will often melt and have fringe hanging off of them. Most new reels come with a thin to thick layer of grease on the brake ring. Grease will lube the brake ring and keep it from making noise, but it also cause inconsistent braking. Therefore, after a reel has been serviced, the brake ring and tabs will be oiled, but not greased. The braking is much more consistent with oiled brake parts, but oil doesn't last as long as grease. If you have a reel with centrifugal brakes, you need to wipe a drop or two of reel oil around the inside of the brake ring at least once a month. A few drops on a Qtip makes it easy to do. It's also just a heck of a good practice to get into of opening the side cover to oil your brakes frequently as this will give you the chance to wipe a little grease on the side cover locking tabs or threads. You would be amazed at how many reels I see that have never been opened and I quite often wonder if I'm going to be able to open it without breaking the cover due to corrosion and the fact that it was never opened for lubrication or adjustment. If you don't know how to open your side cover to access the brakes or to oil the parts, send me a PM here or post a question here. Having your reels serviced once a year is a great thing to do for them, but they will still need some attention from you between services. It's a good idea to keep a small bottle of reel oil and a tube of grease along with some Q-tips as an emergency service kit. If your reel is new and has not been serviced, use the stock lubes that should have come with it. If I have serviced your reels, the brake parts will have yellow label rocket fuel oil on them and the side cover locking tabs should have cals universal reel grease on them. Mixing brands on brake parts and locking tabs probably won't hurt anything though it's definitely not a good idea to mix brands in other areas of the reel.
INBoonville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-12, 08:52 PM   #10
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Very good write up, I have two Zillions that were really screeching last year when I had not done anything to them. Over the winter I serviced them and the noise went away. I now have one Shimano reel that drives me nuts because of inconsistent braking with all six centrifugal brakes on. From your tip above I will try cleaning it and maybe replacing the caps in case they put grease on the ring from the factory.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-12, 11:11 AM   #11
justbassin4fun
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for taking the time to share these tips with us! Much appreciated!
justbassin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.