Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-09, 06:31 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Heavy Bait causing backlash

This weekend I started having a backlash issue unlike anything I have had before. I have been tossing a mattslure blue gill that weighs 1.9 oz. I have been throwing it on a bantam sg100 reel attached to a dobyns rod that is rated for the weight. I am using 65lbs power pro.

My line has begun to dig very deep into the spool after each cast. Every third to fourth cast, the lure will just stop in mid-air and hit the water like a brick.
I spooled all of th eline and made sure it was on properly, but the issue remained. I have cinched down the tension to acocunt for the added weight, but still a no go. The reel is clean, greased, and oiled.

This is the same set up that I have used on these lures for two years now without any problem. The reel performs properly on everything else except for my 2+ oz lures on a cast. I can pitch it just fine.

Any ideas on what else I should be checking?
Old 04-13-09, 06:54 PM   #2
islandbass

Not that I can think of. Line dig is to be expected with braid and you have probably been lucky the past two years to not experience it.

Since you say it is happening in midflight, I would think that I would strip off the line well past the point it is occurring and recurring to rid the spool of any line dig that could be there and crank the line back on. Strip off the line either in free spool or almost zero drag to ensure you don't make the line dig into itself. That ought to do it.
Old 04-13-09, 07:24 PM   #3
bcklash

Try KVD line spray it might help.
Old 04-13-09, 07:46 PM   #4
Love of the Sport
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Not that I can think of. Line dig is to be expected with braid and you have probably been lucky the past two years to not experience it.

Since you say it is happening in midflight, I would think that I would strip off the line well past the point it is occurring and recurring to rid the spool of any line dig that could be there and crank the line back on. Strip off the line either in free spool or almost zero drag to ensure you don't make the line dig into itself. That ought to do it.
I agree that you need to loosen the tention knob not tighten.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-09, 08:45 PM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love of the Sport View Post
I agree that you need to loosen the tention knob not tighten.
I agree! The tension nob put more pressure on it, and that's whats making it dig into the spool, loosen it and it won't do it.... as much. You may birds nest a little more, but it wont stop in mid flight. This will happen sometimes when I'm casting heavier baits, that always fixes it for me!

Good luck man!
Old 04-14-09, 09:54 AM   #6
Lilmoosecountry

I use 30lb mono on a abu 6500. I would'nt use any other set up over 2oz. No line digging with mono either.
Old 04-14-09, 10:08 AM   #7
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Unfortunately I know all about this problem.
Open up the reel and make sure your centrifugal brakes are set properly. With a heavy lure like that you may want to make sure at least a couple of them are on. Start out with all of them in the out (on) position, make a few casts, and if it doesn't happen, turn one off. Repeat until you find out how many you can turn off without getting the dreaded "snap lash".
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-09, 11:15 AM   #8
cassidyta

Good advice all the way around...

Sadly I am fairly sure that my reel is finally giving up the ghost. It is a 1985 shimano bantam (Pre curado). I had put fresh line on yesterday but the problem remained. Closer inspectin shows that the spool has a worn spot that is sticking from time to time. This issue becomes worse with heavier baits.

Moose,
I use mono on my open water swim baits, with sinking baits that I toss along sides of and into the tullies I use braid.
Old 04-14-09, 01:34 PM   #9
Lilmoosecountry

Sounds like your just going to have to buy a new reel. Be careful of braid. i don't use it. If have a nice rod watch your poundage. It will void the warranty on many brands if you exceed that rating. Big mono,Good Drag & playing a fish right will over come anything braid can dish out. Plus the stretch mono gives is like a shock absorber on hook up with big baits in the 10+ range. In them type situations braid would just jerk a bait big bait right out of it's mouth.
Old 04-14-09, 01:43 PM   #10
aikenyounggun

ummm if its not the reel sometimes braid will come off the reel better if you throw the bait out slowly.... dont just throw it as fast as you can..... just kind of sweep it out there.... i was havin the same issue throwin a jig on older braid .... instead of throwin it super hard and fast just kind of softly throw it out..... hope this makes sense... if that doesnt help then it might be the reel

that helps because i think when you throw it softer it doesnt get itself stuck underneath itself
Old 04-14-09, 01:45 PM   #11
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't think you need a new reel. When you get a chance, tie your line to a tree branch, or door knob, or some stationary object. then walk all the line off the reel. Then reel it back, applying a lot of tension to get the braid wound tight enough that it won't dig into itself. Now, you don't need tension like putting your car in nuetral and reeling it up the diverway, but I try to keep the rod bent a little.

BB
Old 04-14-09, 04:44 PM   #12
cassidyta

The issue on this reel is due to the worn spot on the spool itself. Even with no line on it and brakes turned all the way down, the spool will stick from time to time.
I appreciate the idea on the spooling of it and do always apply pressure when I add the braid.
Moose,
I have to disagree with the part of mono overcomming anything braid will dish out. I toss a lot of frogs and other baits deep into some pretty nasty stuff. Places where I have seen a good 20lbs mono get broken just because of what the fish rubbed the line on. While I appreciate the advice, I will stick to braid on what ever reel I end up getting to replace this one.
Old 04-15-09, 03:33 PM   #13
Lilmoosecountry

Your welcome to come fish Truman Lake with me one week-end. I'll show yeahh what a tree filled lake looks like. I've never broke off the Big Game line anywhere on that lake. That's throwing some big baits to. There is allot to say about ones rod handling skills. Them skills will take you further than big line can. It's done every day with big fish & light line on the ocean. Hey i know this first hand. I took an 80lb Blue Cat on the MO with 20lb big game. So i know it can be done.
Old 04-15-09, 05:27 PM   #14
MississippiBoy

= bcklash?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.