Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-10, 10:40 AM   #1
pampy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Humminbird 788ci?

Pros and cons on this unit. It also has the quad beam transducer. Is the quad beam all that it is cracked up to be? How is the quad beam work?

Thanks
Pampy
pampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 05:38 PM   #2
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Transducer is mounted outside the boat on the back. Sends a cone signal straight down (called down scan - like normal depth finder only better) and two out at a diagonal to the side (side scan). This gives you a three dimensional image of almost everything up to 150' away. The unit gives you many options to choose from. You have the old flasher screen, a black and white down scan, a color down scan, the side scan, and GPS screens. You can also mix and match and have 3 or 4 of these on the screen at once. Pretty cool. Also if you are using side scan and you see a rock pile 50' away from the boat you can mark it and then come back later and find it on your GPS.
Side imaging is very cool. I've marked many locations on the river that I've seen just working my way to areas that I know hold fish. It does have limitations since you can use it while running full speed and it is at the back of the boat so what you see is what is behind you not next to you.
Old 08-05-10, 07:23 PM   #3
rangerryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I love my side imaging. Before i took the time to learn how to use i thought it was junk but once i took the time and did alot of boating and studying i fell in love with it.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 01:35 AM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Just bought one. Absolutely love it. Could not bring myself to get the side scan, but I am extremely pleased with it. If it does not come loaded with it I can't recommend getting the Navionics chip enough. Makes a huge difference in the lake maps.
Old 08-26-10, 11:31 PM   #5
DougV

Here's an example of what QuadraBeam Can do for a 2D only unit. And yes the transducer can shoot thru the hull and be epoxied in the hull:

DougV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-10, 08:09 PM   #6
tslabaugh
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to tslabaugh

I am thinking about getting this unit as well. I will be doing an thru-hull transducer and then will figure out which unit to link it with at the bow.

After playing with it at Bass Pro, I feel comfortable saying it is fairly easy to use and a nice unit.
tslabaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-10, 10:16 PM   #7
DougV

Also with the 788ci you get 4 times a second refresh and 50 Channel GPS for no extra costs...
DougV is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.