Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-09-10, 07:33 PM   #1
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Another Mapping Tool?

I don't know if this is new to yall or has been discussed and I missed it, but I found it linked from ESPNs site and it appears to make overlaying of some basic topo information on maps fairly easy...might be an option for those of us who are cheap...

And yes, it has some topo info of Dale Hollow to the north and west of the resort.

http://mapper.angling-technologies.com/atom/pmap.php
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 04:02 PM   #2
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I found that site way too hard to use... so thats why I always suggest this one:

http://mapper.acme.com/
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-10, 11:18 AM   #3
AMC23
BassFishin.Com Member

I like that mapper acme link... except I can't get any of the underwater topoo depths of the lake. Is there any way to do that? Or any other site?
AMC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-10, 11:32 AM   #4
WTL

The acme link might be better. The underwater topo feature only works for certain reservoirs, what they do is they take the topo info that they had before the impoundment, and then after the lake is created they mark the blue boundaries on the map...

I probably should have played around more with the first link before starting a thread on it, but you can superimpose topo info on a satellite map and it does count the depth for you, those are 2 decent features.
Old 02-11-10, 11:47 AM   #5
AMC23
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
I probably should have played around more with the first link before starting a thread on it
Not at all... I think this is a great thread. I am making a specific point this year to really use "off the water" experience and information when I fish. I have been all over online and I had trouble finding any free topos that are as wide as my CPU screen. Does that make sense? I hate finding topos that only show a 4"x 4" area and you cant see the whole lake... anyways, I really want to get some underwater topo though. The lakes I fish don't show that in either site. Still great info though. It goes right along with Kevin's video on geospatial maps.
Old 02-11-10, 11:58 AM   #6
WTL

I got what you need then. You can save as big of a file as your computer can handle with mozilla and a mozilla add on called screengrab....

http://www.dq.winsila.com/tips-trick...ogle-maps.html
Old 02-11-10, 11:59 AM   #7
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Just about the best $20 I have ever spent on fishing is the Navionics HotMaps Explorer: http://navionics.com/LakeFeatures_HMExplorer.asp
It has pretty much every lake covered. I've never found great free topo maps except in some states like NY and MI the DEC/DNR have some on their websites, but they are scanned in PDFs of old maps.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-10, 12:20 PM   #8
AMC23
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
I got what you need then. You can save as big of a file as your computer can handle with mozilla and a mozilla add on called screengrab....
That is exactly what I need, but I run a mac! It won't run right. I have also found that if you go to Bing maps it is WAY better than google maps. It has a feature called birds eye and it is awesome. Come to think of it I think that was in Kevins tutorial... I cant remember. Its been a while since I saw it. But Bing's satellite images are way better too.
Old 02-11-10, 12:30 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

AMC, the bird's eye view was shown in Kevin's video.

What I can't seem to figure out is how to get the USGS Topo maps in World Wind. Anybody know?

BB
Old 02-11-10, 12:44 PM   #10
WTL

If you really need a certain locale soon, and can work with jpgs or bmps, I think I could go grab what you need and email it to you.
Old 02-11-10, 03:50 PM   #11
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
What I can't seem to figure out is how to get the USGS Topo maps in World Wind. Anybody know?
Hey BB... If you do not see the full set of buttons, it is because World Wind is not able to access NASA's online servers to make available extra datasets (ie. USGS Topo Maps, etc). These are only available if NASA World Wind is able to effectively communicate with NASA's online servers.

If your computer is connected to the Internet and you still do not see these imagery datasets, then there is most likely a proxy being used that is preventing World Wind from connecting to its online servers. Or there is a configuration problem with your router that is preventing World Wind from communicating with its servers through the port the application uses.

This is a somewhat common problem we hear about and it almost always boils down to these two reasons. Take a look into your router configuration and make sure there isn't any ports that are being blocked and if you are using a proxy server to connect to the Internet, that could be the issue too.

BTW... I'm going to have a new video and related content on all kinds of mapping tools and goodies... far extending the original Geospatial Advantage video. I think it'll really knock some socks off!
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-10, 06:36 PM   #12
AMC23
BassFishin.Com Member

That sounds awesome Kevin! I hope it includes some Mac compatible programs!

And thanks WTL.... I might take you up on that.
Old 02-11-10, 07:12 PM   #13
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The problem is that for the underwater topos, these companies want money such as for certain GPS/fishfinder combos, so far I have not found a free online underwater topo setup (yet)
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-10, 10:08 PM   #14
AMC23
BassFishin.Com Member

Keep me posted screwball! No one on here has let me down yet!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.