Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-15-10, 08:19 PM   #1
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Citica VS Caenan

I have been thinking all day about the new Shimano Caenan, and after allot of thought, wonder if it is worth the money.

First I know none of us have fished the Caenan, so the comparison can only be done on paper. But there are certain design specs of this reel, that I feel may make it over priced.

First thing I noticed about the design specs of the reel was that it was a graphite frame, I thought to myself, cool a graphite Citica. It was only on closer comparison that I started to see where the Citica far outshines the Caenan, again on paper. The Caenan has 6 bearings, and while that sounds like and upgrade from the 4 the Citica has, lets think about a couple of things. First the Caenan does not have the Super free (SF) pinion support frame mounted bearing that the Citica has. This leads me to believe that it is using a more conventional spool mounted bearing. Without the SF system, I would not think that the Caenan would have the HEG gearing that the Citica has either. So with this said, I would believe the bearing configuration would be this. 2 bearings in the handle, 1 side plate bearing, 1 spool mounted bearing, 1 bearing under the spool tension cap and a anti-reverse bearing. So what you end up with is 2 handle bearings and swap of the SF bearing to a spool bearing.

The Caenan may have the better handle if you prefer EVA knobs over the Citica's Septon grips.

So in the minus category I would say this, graphite frame, no SF system, and no HEG gearing. On the plus side I would say that the handle has bearings, septon vs EVA who knows.

When I thought even more about why Shimano would introduce this reel, I came to my own conclusion that it was a marketing strategy to keep the bottom end price from falling on their lineup. You can easily find the Citica under 100 dollars these days and in my opinion it is the baseline for entry level reels. I will finish by saying this, at a price point of 90 dollars the Caenan is overpriced, there are allot more attractive reels in this price range ,that have better specs. One that comes to mind is the Diawa Exceler at about 70 dollars and there are several Abu Revo Max reels that are less expensive that can easily compete with this reel.

If you made it this far, thanks for listening to my opinion, and rant.
I look forward to your comments
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 10:27 PM   #2
islandbass

Actually you made a very plausible and thoughtful analysis. Well done!
Old 07-15-10, 10:36 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Actually you made a very plausible and thoughtful analysis. Well done!
Indeed!

I'd think that I exceller would also be a better reel. The ceanen may be very over priced, especially when you look at the Exceler that has a Free Floating spool.

But only time will tell how it compares to other reels. But to me, a Ceanen Handle would look sweet on the citica.. thus increasing the bearing count, which in turn would boost my confidence in the reel!
Old 07-15-10, 10:47 PM   #4
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Indeed!

I'd think that I exceller would also be a better reel. The ceanen may be very over priced, especially when you look at the Exceler that has a Free Floating spool.

But only time will tell how it compares to other reels. But to me, a Ceanen Handle would look sweet on the citica.. thus increasing the bearing count, which in turn would boost my confidence in the reel!

Your right Sammy, time will tell. I personally dont put much stock into bearings in the handle, I believe it is a way for reel mfg to make their product look better than it really is. There are allot better places to use bearings in a reel than in the handle.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 12:04 AM   #5
Jrob78

Very well thought out post Tav! The Caenan has some upgraded features that the Citica doesn't, unfortunately those features don't make for a more durable, reliable reel. The upgrades aren't where they matter the most.

It is a graphite framed reel and to me is at the same level as the Max reels and Pinnacle reels. It just has more fancy features that don't really effect performance or longevity. I think it looks really cool but belongs somewhere in the $60 range, not $90.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 08:39 AM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Bearings under the knobs is just an assumption. Personally, I don't think Shimano would spend the money for knob bearings on an $89 reel with a graphite frame... which is another downside in itself.

It looks sweet though! But there are enough sweet looking reels that are much better, so no Caenan for me.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.