Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-12, 11:12 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Coffee Scent

Strike king makes a big deal about thier patent pending coffee scent.
Ever since hearing about this years ago I've always wondered.
Is it a good idea than to store your plastics in ground coffee? Maybe vacum seal them with coffee?
I'm not sure I'm even a believer in the whole concept of the coffee smell other than maybe a masking agent so unless I learn something here I'm not likely to get some. I'm basically happy with the the plastics I use but untill someone explained why those MAY help improve something. I was happy with the plastics I was using before them.
So I got to ask.
What do you think?
Old 03-05-12, 02:20 PM   #2
Tavery5

I think it is a marketing ploy like many other things in the bait business. I do use scents in my fishing, mainly to mask anything that I might have unknowingly added to the bait. I would think that fish would prefer the smell of garlic to gasoline, poor example but you see what I mean.

Back to the SK baits and there coffee scent as a marketing ploy. Here is my thougt, suppose you went fishing and tried one of the newer KVD perfect plastic coffee scented baits, and just slaughtered them. Maybe it would be enough to convince you that the coffee scent was the secret to your success, the next time you shop for baits such as flukes, trailers, worms, or beavers maybe you would think to yourself, I am going to get me some of those coffee scented beavers instead of (insert your brand here) and while I am at it, I am going to get a bag of the SK flukes and try them out as well.

Imagine how you would feel about the coffee scent if you then went out with your new baits and had another great day.
Old 03-05-12, 03:58 PM   #3
kennethdaysale

Good query Joseph...as a dedicated hand pourer I have spent the last couple of years experimenting with different scents and like T5 I'm convinced it mostly between your ears. I have gone so far as to fish side by side with my co- in a head to head scent out many times and with many scents. The only 2 that I have any real confidence in is garlic salt and sea salt (ground to an almost microscopic dust and suspended in EVO prior to cooking in the mold. Sometimes I think Anise has merit but jury still out.....coffee? can't hurt but thats all.......................................
Old 03-05-12, 04:17 PM   #4
Jrob78

Coffee is a scent that fishermen like. Like T said, I think it probably helps cover up human odor but I seriously doubt bass have a taste for Folgers.
Old 03-05-12, 04:52 PM   #5
Tavery5

Here is some scented oil that I add to my plastics that have none. It smells good to me and the oil keeps the baits nice and from sticking together.

This company must make at least 20 different scents to add to your baits and they are inexpensive. Not sure is the scent helps much, but it does keep your baits from sticking together and drying out.
Old 03-05-12, 06:21 PM   #6
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have no scientific proof; but bass that have a yearning for coffee flavor probably have had their growth stunted. That's what Grandpa used to tell me, "Son, coffee will stunt your growth."

Now if their were a scent that smelled like fast-food, the bass that would bite that would have HUGE asses.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 06:46 PM   #7
kennethdaysale

Hey T...that anise oil has a quality that goes beyond scent and in my opinion (100% subjective) might have another appeal. Ever notice that wherever your anise soaked worm hits the water a 6' diameter "slick" forms and remains for awhile? I have a gut feeling that slick gets the attention of curious bass and when they swim towards it to investigate....tah-dah I swear that slick forming property is so powerful that sometimes it even calms the chop! Sometimes I even dunk a night-time buzzbait in it to help me see the approach vectors.
Old 03-05-12, 07:03 PM   #8
Tavery5

Ken, I have a friend that sprays all his trout baits with WD-40 before he casts them, claims that it increases the bites he gets. Can't say for sure if he is full of it or not, he usually catches more fish than I do, and it does leave one hell of an oil slick. Looks like AC Green fell into the swimming pool.
Old 03-05-12, 07:08 PM   #9
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Ken, I have a friend that sprays all his trout baits with WD-40 before he casts them, claims that it increases the bites he gets. Can't say for sure if he is full of it or not, he usually catches more fish than I do, and it does leave one hell of an oil slick. Looks like AC Green fell into the swimming pool.
Well I'll declare. If your wd-40 buddy wants to follow that line of reasoning why stop at the wd...might as well just use kerosene or better yet Jet fuel (you could hook him up!) then even if he didn't get a bite he could just stare at the water and marvel at all the pretty colours.
Old 03-05-12, 07:21 PM   #10
Tavery5

I had not thought of jet fuel, but was going to recommend Jheri Curl or Afro Sheen, as a suitable sub.
Old 03-05-12, 07:46 PM   #11
basstech

I don't think it matters most of the times, but I've seen times where it definately made a difference, at least with using a scent in generall. I do love the aroma when I open a new pack of perfect plastic coffee scented baits. most of the soft plastics I throw though smell like, hmmm soft plastic.
Going my what you said Iowa, I'm running out to get me some McBaits right now so the next time I go fishing I can catch me some Huge *** Bass.
Your friend may be right Tavery, but it may not have anything to do with the scent. If he's fly fishing it would definately affect the way the fly sits in/on water and sheads water as well. It could just be a presentation thing.
Old 03-08-12, 04:33 PM   #12
merc1997

i do not think the scent has any bearing on catching fish. i have had many fisherman sit in my boat and try to prove that their scented plastics, and additives caught more fish. none have proved it yet. if it gives you more confidence, go for it. any type of oil on your lure will aid you in setting the hook though. it makes your bait slicker, and the fish will have a harder time gripping it enough to prevent forward motion of the hook when you jerk. most of us would catch more fish if we put more emphasis on fishing the right depth at the right speed to trigger a strike. of course, it really helps to be throwing in front of fish.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-12, 11:38 AM   #13
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

isnt wd40 like throwing gas or oil into the water.. i always heard it was ethicaly awfull to do soo, when i was a kid fishing with my uncles, a wildlife guy came up to check our liecenses and jumped on them for using it, idk.. guess its what ever works
Old 03-10-12, 12:20 PM   #14
bassboogieman

I bought a bag of the coffed scented baits, an Ocho or something-or-other. Never made the water - they smelled so good, I ate them.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12, 11:26 AM   #15
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've thrown Strike Kings coffee scented baits and caught fish with them. But I seriously doubt the coffee scent had anything to do with it. But they do smell better than any of that Berkley Gulp cra*.
Old 03-11-12, 06:41 PM   #16
Bassboss

You can make you're own scent too!

Unscented, plain patrolmen jelly gets allot thinner when you heat it up. Take a jug of the stuff, put a bunch of garlic in it and keep it hot for a while to get the flavor/scent into it good. You go do the same thing with coffee. Brew some real thick, and simmer it down until it gets to its original volume. I've heard of people catching crawdads and such in there as well! Adding salt is also a good idea. Just plop it out into a little pot, and plop/poor it back in when you think it's done.

Saw this in magazine and thought it was a good idea. Haven't tried it yet as I don't have the patrolmen jelly, but when I get some you'd bet I'll give it a whirl when I do!

As for whether scent works, I think it does! When a bass eats a crawdad, it doesn't taste like a person. Anything to mask that flavor or scent can't do harm. Making something taste like the real thing has to help too!

Good luck, and I hope this helps ya!
Old 03-11-12, 09:42 PM   #17
lilmule

Default uh

Hotdogs cut into bites tossed in a mason jar with blood meal and sweet anise,turn upside down let it soak a week,when in the water will release oil in rings for an hr minimal but wont last that long as catfish lovem.
For fishing rubber for bass most come prescented with something,why bother with the mess if theys a bitin they dont care if extra is applied,and if they aint stay at home and dream they are.
Otherwise throw pink in the pads and under bridges.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 09:30 PM   #18
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I think it is a marketing ploy like many other things in the bait business. I do use scents in my fishing, mainly to mask anything that I might have unknowingly added to the bait. I would think that fish would prefer the smell of garlic to gasoline, poor example but you see what I mean.

Back to the SK baits and there coffee scent as a marketing ploy. Here is my thougt, suppose you went fishing and tried one of the newer KVD perfect plastic coffee scented baits, and just slaughtered them. Maybe it would be enough to convince you that the coffee scent was the secret to your success, the next time you shop for baits such as flukes, trailers, worms, or beavers maybe you would think to yourself, I am going to get me some of those coffee scented beavers instead of (insert your brand here) and while I am at it, I am going to get a bag of the SK flukes and try them out as well.

Imagine how you would feel about the coffee scent if you then went out with your new baits and had another great day.

How'd that commercial jingle go> The best part of wakin' up.....

I hope Coffee is a fish catcher. I bought 2 packs of Ochos, 2 packs of Caffeine Shad and 5 bags of Finesse Worms.
Not due to the cooffee scent, but because of big sales at Gander
I must say, I really like a couple of the Finesse Worm colors
Old 03-12-12, 09:47 PM   #19
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
isnt wd40 like throwing gas or oil into the water.. i always heard it was ethicaly awfull to do soo, when i was a kid fishing with my uncles, a wildlife guy came up to check our liecenses and jumped on them for using it, idk.. guess its what ever works
Exactly the same but different.
Old 03-12-12, 11:13 PM   #20
joedog

I got lost some wheres around post four.
I know, no-ones surprised.
Thanks for all the input folks.

So if I'm understanding right... It's a marketing ploy although masking is important to all, most prefer the smell of the mask to please them as much or more than the fish and if it isn't going to please said fisherperson, it mites as well be the worst smell you can possible get your hands on although garlic and anise probably comes smelling good, salt is as much of a weighting additive as it is a taste additive and if you can find them on sale, get them cause thier not worth retail but they have the Strike King name so they must be good to get cheap and if you can get your 'significant other' to smell like coffee you may have not solved any fishing challenges but you definitly found nirvana.
Did I get it right?

lilmule, you supply me with such great ideas but your not serious about me chopping up a stapple of my diet and use it for fish scent are you?

Man and anise....what a great smell. Only candy to this day that I really miss. If it's in my house and someone opens the package it drives me crazy.
Old 03-12-12, 11:29 PM   #21
gonefishin3

I only use coffee scent the first couple hours in the morning
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 05:04 PM   #22
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I think the main thing is the concept of pleasant scents to fish.

I have had senkos in a old coffee ground bag for months, using it on and off, as well as the same senko unscented, sitting in its original bag. I have caught the same number and quality of fish from both, so it seems scent really has very little impact, at least in my area.

Now if you really get down to it, fish do not really have a sense of "smell" underwater, but they do detect differences in salinity and what we might call flavor. This is why some baits are salted, and some have an oily feel or base to them as the bass (and other fish) pick up on these differences, at least to investigate.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-12, 08:06 PM   #23
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
I got lost some wheres around post four.
I know, no-ones surprised.
Thanks for all the input folks.

So if I'm understanding right... It's a marketing ploy although masking is important to all, most prefer the smell of the mask to please them as much or more than the fish and if it isn't going to please said fisherperson, it mites as well be the worst smell you can possible get your hands on although garlic and anise probably comes smelling good, salt is as much of a weighting additive as it is a taste additive and if you can find them on sale, get them cause thier not worth retail but they have the Strike King name so they must be good to get cheap and if you can get your 'significant other' to smell like coffee you may have not solved any fishing challenges but you definitly found nirvana.
Did I get it right?

lilmule, you supply me with such great ideas but your not serious about me chopping up a stapple of my diet and use it for fish scent are you?

Man and anise....what a great smell. Only candy to this day that I really miss. If it's in my house and someone opens the package it drives me crazy.

Nicely done!!!!
Old 03-29-12, 06:36 PM   #24
dave0943

At the end part of last fishing season I bought some coffee scented Tubes. I had been using another brand that was scented in F2. I didn't notice anything different between the two. They both caught tons of Smallies. I think any of the masking flavors work and do what they are supposed to do, if the plastics have the action to go along with it.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 08:35 PM   #25
hunter34
BassFishin.Com Member

the prime ingrident in wd40 is kerosene
hunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.